1 - Victor Valdes

lessthanjake

Valdes is a good keeper but not world class. However, his strengths are perfect for Barca. He's a particularly good distributor and a particularly good one-on-one shot stopper. A team playing possession football with a really high line requires both of those things more than other teams do. As a result, he has been far more effective for Barcelona than he will be for other clubs and he has been more effective than many keeper who are better overall would be for Barcelona. Ultimately, though, a truly world-class keeper would be better for Barcelona even if his distribution was not as good because every team, including Barcelona, requires a keeper to do most of the things that make a world class keeper good, and ultimately those things will always be the most important thing for a keeper.

We see this with Spain. Casillas is not a particularly good distributor. He is, however, a fantastic keeper. He gets the nod above Valdes even though Valdes "fits" the system more because he is simply a better keeper and ultimately that matters more than fit when the gap in quality is large enough.

loozy

1-Why didn't he just told Zubi? even Barca management and the players asked him not to got to tell the media and he still did!!!
2-Since when Bayern has good defense?if anything their worst line is their defense and that isn't even close ,Lahm wan never known being gr8 defender ,Badstuber is awful overrated defender and the rest is average at best,and even if you claim otherwise , Neuer proved himself with Schalke,please don't tell me they had grr8 defense too?

on the other hand ,reading some other posters in this thread you would think that VV has collected the greatness of Buffon Schmeichel,Yashin&Zidane to produce such amazing GK with gr8 passing ability ,the whole overrating and underrating in this thread is unbelievable

1. I don't know about that; I never said it was a good thing that he went public like that ;)

2. Put to rest this cliché that Bayern does not have a good defense. They have only conceded 7!!! SEVEN!!! goals this season and that was not due to Manuel Neuer's excellent keeping but rather due to the excellent defense that Heynckes is putting on the pitch this season. Neuer proved himself with Schalke, yes, because the defense was weaker than that of Bayern. Dante has been an excellent addition and revelation, Alaba was sorely missed during his injury, though Badstuber substituted for him equally well and Lahm has been in excellent form; Boateng/van Buyten have been solid as well.

If you watched Bayern-matches outside of CL then you'd know that Neuer is mainly without occuppation because of the well-structures defensive line that Bayern is emplying this season.

re: the last quote: how about we meet in the middle? Valdes is a very good goalie but not on the level as legends like Schmeichel, Buffon, Kahn and Casillas? (I have absolutely no idea why you are bringing Zidane into this)
How about we meet in the middle

Stric

Ultimately, though, a truly world-class keeper would be better for Barcelona even if his distribution was not as good because every team, including Barcelona, requires a keeper to do most of the things that make a world class keeper good, and ultimately those things will always be the most important thing for a keeper.

x100000

Eetu

Adormit
Does such a thing as 'world class keeper' even exist anymore? The word sure gets a lot of repetition, but mostly when a set of fans are complaining about what they happen to have. The old guard is fading away and the youngsters still need the excuse of youth for the silly things they do.

Eetu

Adormit
So who is/was a world class keeper in your books? Kahn, Schmeichel?

He, whoever, I wasn't able to see 60+ matches of a season back then and conclude to be mortal after all. It just feels like the overexposure to the mistakes of our own GKs has somewhat killed the whole myth. It seems to be my keeper who did that silly mistake then and then vs. that keeper I've seen put in half a dozen solid performances all over the board.

loozy

The word world class is being overused anyways.

So many players are called world class nowadays yet in a couple of years we probably won't remember the majority of them.

frostdude1

The only 'world-class' goalkeepers that are active are Casillas and Buffon. And both are past their prime so that's debatable.

Neuer, Cech, Hart etc.. are very good goalkeepers but not World Class

khaled_a_d

1. I don't know about that; I never said it was a good thing that he went public like that ;)

2. Put to rest this cliché that Bayern does not have a good defense. They have only conceded 7!!! SEVEN!!! goals this season and that was not due to Manuel Neuer's excellent keeping but rather due to the excellent defense that Heynckes is putting on the pitch this season. Neuer proved himself with Schalke, yes, because the defense was weaker than that of Bayern. Dante has been an excellent addition and revelation, Alaba was sorely missed during his injury, though Badstuber substituted for him equally well and Lahm has been in excellent form; Boateng/van Buyten have been solid as well.

If you watched Bayern-matches outside of CL then you'd know that Neuer is mainly without occuppation because of the well-structures defensive line that Bayern is emplying this season.

re: the last quote: how about we meet in the middle? Valdes is a very good goalie but not on the level as legends like Schmeichel, Buffon, Kahn and Casillas? (I have absolutely no idea why you are bringing Zidane into this)
How about we meet in the middle

I am speaking more about last season tbh ,I haven't seen Bayern enough this season unfortunately ,but what I am saying that in different situations he has proved himself ,when his defense was bad or good , he has his bad moments for sure
As for why I am bringing Zidane ,It is b/c people keep mentioning Valdes passing ability like he is the play maker of the team
I would say Valdes is good to very good GK ,he was never consistent through out the years,always has the bad and good seasons

poldep

Rosell says Messi will sign his new contract next week and they still hope Valdés changes his mind and stays.

poldep

Rosell (president): "The Camp Nou has spoken yesterday. The fans like Valdes. We leave the door open for in case he changes his mind."

loozy

I am speaking more about last season tbh ,I haven't seen Bayern enough this season unfortunately ,but what I am saying that in different situations he has proved himself ,when his defense was bad or good , he has his bad moments for sure
As for why I am bringing Zidane ,It is b/c people keep mentioning Valdes passing ability like he is the play maker of the team
I would say Valdes is good to very good GK ,he was never consistent through out the years,always has the bad and good seasons

Even last season I did not see Neuer that good and the ratings that he got prove that. Neuer is never among the top 3 goalies in Germany and I find him overrated, tbh. If Adler had not injured himself before the world cup, no-one would talk about Neuer being the supposed best German goalkeeper.
Sure, he has had his moments but he has never been consistently oustanding like Valdes in 2008/09 (hope I am not mixing up the seasons) or Casillas or Buffon (I both rate them as world class).

Valdes can pass a ball very well for a goalie, imo, but I wouldn never compare him to someone like Zidane :D Zizou is to be compared to Iniesta, if he can be compared at all (different times, different systems and all that ;))

I agree with the last sentence :)

lovebarca

Rosell says Messi will sign his new contract next week and they still hope Valdés changes his mind and stays.
what happen if valdes changed his mind?
i mean no big club in search of goalie for 1st place and we offer better term and then he may change his mind....
would his position in dressing room will be same?

M

Messi+Eto

Honestly if VV leaves, I'd be hoping we get Ter Stegen. He'd be a perfect and worthy replacement for a legend such as VV. Has a little bit of what Valdes lacks in focus too.

khaled_a_d

what happen if valdes changed his mind?
i mean no big club in search of goalie for 1st place and we offer better term and then he may change his mind....
would his position in dressing room will be same?

VV is known to be very popular and respected in the dressing room ,he has put himself as the third captain of the team once R10 left b/c of that ,I doubt a guy like him would be affected tbh

Home of Barca Fans