1 - Victor Valdes

Kerrybai

The biggest issue I have is that we wil miss out on 10-12 million by selling him which could go toward his replacement. I know he's given a lot to the club but he wants to go anyway so I'm sure he won't be bothered whether he goes this season or next. IMO we should cash in now.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He's not exactly being kept against his wishes if he is still here next season. He said that he intended to leave once his contract expires. He would have expected the possibility of the club keeping him until then.

In professional sports, acknowledging you are not going to renew a contract regardless of the terms is the equivalent of saying 'I want to leave'...Doing so more than a year before the contract is done serves two purposes, it puts pressure on the club to move him for the best price possible and ensures his exit...The only trump card, if you can even call an expiring contract that, is that the club can hold off until 2014 and make him wait another season while his desired suitor may already look for a replacement in that time...In business, it's called playing hardball because they also know the player isn't likely to be disruptive...It's the only negotiating tactic the club has available to them to try and get the best price for him

But the truth is Victor won't be transfered near for the value he should be since he already made it clear he won't renew

sabby

The biggest issue I have is that we wil miss out on 10-12 million by selling him which could go toward his replacement. I know he's given a lot to the club but he wants to go anyway so I'm sure he won't be bothered whether he goes this season or next. IMO we should cash in now.

The fact is after buying Neymer + WC CB + (CF/another CB), there won't be anything left to buy a GK other than the meager 9-10m we get from selling Valdes. I bet whoever we buy with that little amount of money won't be even 50% as good as Valdes. On the contrary, if he stays one more season - he will help us to win liga, UCL and other trophies. And the next summer, we will have a full transfer budget to go for one of the best GK in world :) Plus there's the hope, he might actually change his mind if we get good CB(s) and our defense become strong again. No world class GK would want to field behind this current defense if given choice.

Last edited:

sabby

I highly doubt that. 99.5% of the goalkeepers in the world won't turn down the opportunity to become Barcelona's number 1.

I'm not talking about Barca as a whole but our defense. If we take the best 10 GKs in the world and hand them out a paper with the current back 4s of the top 10 clubs to choose from I'm sure they wouldn't pick Barca as first choice.

And Valdes has played as #1 GK of Barca for 10 straight years now and won everything for more than 3 times and still do not get enough credits. I do not support his decision of moving out but I can understand a bit and I'm sure there are some things behind the curtains which we don't know. On field, he's one of the most passionate Barca player so he just can't leave the team for more money or experience other leagues.

Its also noticeable how much his form dipped after Pep left (I read an interview where he said how crucial Pep is for him), may be he wants to go to Bayern or Pep might want him given it was almost at the same time when it was revealed that Pep would join Bayern and Valdes announced he would leave Barca. This is just a wild theory/speculation on my pat but I see a possibility even Neuer being at Bayern.

KhaledBarca

Valdes might still have a chance to win he's 6th Zamora (extending his all-time record, currently tied with Ramallets) :valdes:

Caballero conceded 5 goals vs Valencia last night, with the clean sheets against Levante, Valdes is up to 2nd.
He's still way behind Courtois who will play against Sevilla (away) tomorrow. Let's hope Negredo is in good form and bang a Hattrick lol :) Plus, Courois has to play against Barcelona and Real Madrid, he should concede some :D

Top 4 (Zamora Race):
1- Thibaut Courtois (Atletico Madrid): 23 goals conceded in 30 games (0.77)
2- Victor Valdea (Barcelona): 30 in 28 (1.07)
3- Willy Caballero (Malaga): 33 in 30 (1.10)
4- Andres Fernandez (Osasuna): 36 in 31 (1.16)

D

Don_Andrés

Yep, probably best he leaves at the end of this season, no point dragging it out for another year.

Home of Barca Fans