1 - Victor Valdes

BarcaGirl

Fb Valdes: "I gave the captain's armband to Messi yesterday because I couldn't adjust it properly in the middle of the match."

F

Flavia

Weird excuse... he has used it before. There was some fuss about it, on the net and with the catalan media.

Mr Hulot

I think it is understandable, given the fact that he is wearing these big ass gloves. Normally someone helps him with that, but as we were losing nobody wanted to waste any time. Nothing more to it..

R

rivaldo10

The only one who should be captain is messi and i hope it changes next season

well,Messi has progressed a lot in terms of leadership,would not mind him being the 2nd or 3rd captain

Yeah. Hasn't he yelled at Villa and Tello before? I'm thinking those incidents are just him trying take a leadership role and be like Puyol :p

Anyways, if we get to the CL final next season (or this season if we somehow manage to get past Bayern), Messi should get the armband IMO, at least right before we win it. If anyone deserves to lift the trophy, it's :messi:

Last edited:
F

Flavia

It was all very strange...First to Victor then to Leo and then he passes it off to Iniesta?...Very odd
That usually happens. Messi gave to Iniesta after he entered the pitch, as he is captain before him.

BarcaGirl

Messi should be ahead of Iniesta in the captain's order.

Next season, if Valdes leaves, it should be:

1. Puyol
2. Xavi
3. Messi
4. Iniesta

F

Flavia

Messi should be ahead of Iniesta in the captain's order.

Next season, if Valdes leaves, it should be:

1. Puyol
2. Xavi
3. Messi
4. Iniesta
The order is based on seniority. So, Messi can't be ahead of Iniesta.

Eetu

Adormit
The order is based on seniority. So, Messi can't be ahead of Iniesta.

Xavi would have seniority over Puyi though.

Wasn't the whole quartet of captains thing set up because the current four all demanded to be involved? Who knows wether it will be kept once VV is gone. I wouldn't expect Messi to be asking for it, as he already has seniority over rest of the squad, until Puyol's post is for the taking.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101

Wasn't the whole quartet of captains thing set up because the current four all demanded to be involved? Who knows wether it will be kept once VV is gone. I wouldn't expect Messi to be asking for it, as he already has seniority over rest of the squad, until Puyol's post is for the taking.

No, it was because Guardiola/the top men wanted to give the local/cantera players to be the focus of the team, atleast I think so. I don't think Iniesta would've been an official 'captain' otherwise.

Eetu

Adormit
No, it was because Guardiola/the top men wanted to give the local/cantera players to be the focus of the team, atleast I think so. I don't think Iniesta would've been an official 'captain' otherwise.

From what I remember, it wasn't reported like that.

Here's the first article with quotes that popped up when searching.

Los jugadores del primer equipo del FC Barcelona decidieron hoy que Puyol, Xavi, Valdés e Iniesta serán, por este orden, los representantes de la plantilla azulgrana y, de esta manera, la capitanía estará a cargo de cuatro jugadores canteranos.

El entrenador del Barça, Pep Guardiola, confirmó una noticia que se estaba haciendo esperar desde la semana pasada. “Carles Puyol me ha comunicado que ya se saben los cuatro capitanes. La verdad es que había muchos jugadores que querían echar una mano. Yo me he quedado fuera de este tema, pero estoy muy contento que todo el mundo se quiera involucrar ya que entre todos podrán solucionar cualquier problemilla que surja”, comentó.

Players deciding and Pep claiming to have stayed out of it.

khaled_a_d

This is more of a coach decision and how he wants it to be,I remember Puyol actually became a captain by playerss voting in 2004 after ML Enrique retiring It ws Rijkaard decision to make the voting ,R10 was second and so became Vice-Captain ,Pep on the other hand decided to make a picking role based on seniority of La Masia players after Puyol and Xavi ,I think it is up to Tito to decide the way it is

R

rivaldo10

When maradona played in barca wasent he instant captain with only 23 years of age ?

Home of Barca Fans