1 - Victor Valdes

maz

I walk the line
Interesting to hear his thoughts. I hope he gets offered a new contract..im certain he will sign if he is offered one.

M.L. King

The Preacher
I think he's a bit afraid and under influence of his recent performances. He worries about his future, that's normal. But as I said, the stimulator that triggered him saying this is in my opinion his recent form.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Hey guys!

Poor Valdes and all other defensive players and keepers. It's a very unthankfull job to be a goalie. One mistake and everybody wants to burn you at the stake. I'm not defending him cause' the mistake against Espanyol was just stupid, and IMO against Lyon as well.
But Barcas system/tactics is full on attack, and sometimes we leave (big) holes in our defensive positions and we blame it all on Valdes. But I totally agree with some in this forum that there are a couple of keepers that are better. Like van der Sar's 1,302 minutes clean sheet?! Thats amazing! But then again Man U don't start with players like Busquets, Caceres and Pique on the pitch at the same time. Those three players have an average age of 20 years, and they were supposed to be our defensive against Espanyol? I know Pep was Athletics coach and that he trusts and hopes that the young players will perform. But come on?! When I was 20 I couldn't find my own apartmnet after a good night out. Whats's the average age of Milans defense? 43?
But than again. Valdes isn't really that good, isn't he? :)

Last edited:

Barca_Ray_USA

Hey guys!

Poor Valdes and all other defensive players and keepers. It's a very unthankfull job to be a goalie. One mistake and everybody wants to burn you at the stake. I'm not defending him cause' the mistake against Espanyol was just stupid, and IMO against Lyon as well.
But Barcas system/tactics is full on attack, and sometimes we leave (big) holes in our defensive positions and we blame it all on Valdes. But I totally agree with some in this forum that there are a couple of keepers that are better. Like van der Sar's 1,302 minutes clean sheet?! Thats amazing! But then again Man U don't start with players like Busquets, Caceres and Pique on the pitch at the same time. Those three players have an average age of 20 years, and they were supposed to be our defensive against Espanyol? I know Pep was Athletics coach and that he trusts and hopes that the young players will perform. But come on?! When I was 20 I couldn't find my own apartmnet after a good night out. Whats's the average age of Milans defense? 43?
But than again. Valdes isn't really that good, isn't he? :)

Fair points Zeni. We`ll see how we stand at the end of the season. No use accusing and putting him on the spot now as we cannot change him anyway.

M

messiniesta

I see there's a camp of "Valdés fuera" in this forum. I will have to join forces with Maz to advocate Vicky and fend off all the haters. My main argument is that all goalkeepers make mistakes, but the press tend to pick on him because of something about his character. It's hard to pinpoint it, but you know the kid in school that seemed quite normal, but during parties everybody said hello to each other some would just skip this kid because there was a certain uneasy awkwardness about him that made him unlikeable. (An aside: I'm neither a psychologist nor Valdés's biographer, but I heard that due to family reasons he moved about a few times, having to leave La Masia for Tenerife, I believe. I have also noticed that kids who are suddenly placed in unfamiliar surroundings, they become withdrawn and feature the characteristics briefly described a few sentences ago. People react in different ways, but it tends to happen). For that reason the press doesn't like him so capitalize on his mistakes, even if that same match day Casillas makes the exact same mistake, or even worse (though Oliveira hits the post instead).
Speaking of which, Valdés also has had the misfortune of being of the same generation as Casillas, and, naturally, being the goalies of the two great rival teams of the Iberian peninsula, they are compared, and Casillas makes almost anyone look mediocre.
But overall, I hold the belief that Valdés, over a season, saves us more points than he gives away through mistakes. It would be a huge gamble to get a new goalkeeper that does not have a connection with the defenders, does not understand the Barça culture and its inherent pressure, just with the rather unfounded conviction that he could eliminate those mistakes from his game, which would save us, what, 2-3 points at most? This at the expense of giving a big Fuck you to our canterano goalkeeper, a potentially huge transfer fee, and no guarantee of success? I think this is a gamble that has been done far too many times since Zubizarreta left.
I have more arguments in favour of Valdés, but I have a headache.
For now: Anims Victor, estic amb tu!

FCB-Michael

Mack the Knife
I do agree with your points messiniesta. Yes, if we decide to replace Valdes, we would have to enter another gambling game. Rustu, Enke, Baia... All those gk`s had perfect credentials. Way better from our todays replacement targets such as Asenjo or whoever.
Let`s face it, there`s no way we could get Casillas, Cech or Buffon so mind as well stick it out with "mediocre" home boy

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I see there's a camp of "Valdés fuera" in this forum. I will have to join forces with Maz to advocate Vicky and fend off all the haters. My main argument is that all goalkeepers make mistakes, but the press tend to pick on him because of something about his character. It's hard to pinpoint it, but you know the kid in school that seemed quite normal, but during parties everybody said hello to each other some would just skip this kid because there was a certain uneasy awkwardness about him that made him unlikeable. (An aside: I'm neither a psychologist nor Valdés's biographer, but I heard that due to family reasons he moved about a few times, having to leave La Masia for Tenerife, I believe. I have also noticed that kids who are suddenly placed in unfamiliar surroundings, they become withdrawn and feature the characteristics briefly described a few sentences ago. People react in different ways, but it tends to happen). For that reason the press doesn't like him so capitalize on his mistakes, even if that same match day Casillas makes the exact same mistake, or even worse (though Oliveira hits the post instead).
Speaking of which, Valdés also has had the misfortune of being of the same generation as Casillas, and, naturally, being the goalies of the two great rival teams of the Iberian peninsula, they are compared, and Casillas makes almost anyone look mediocre.
But overall, I hold the belief that Valdés, over a season, saves us more points than he gives away through mistakes. It would be a huge gamble to get a new goalkeeper that does not have a connection with the defenders, does not understand the Barça culture and its inherent pressure, just with the rather unfounded conviction that he could eliminate those mistakes from his game, which would save us, what, 2-3 points at most? This at the expense of giving a big Fuck you to our canterano goalkeeper, a potentially huge transfer fee, and no guarantee of success? I think this is a gamble that has been done far too many times since Zubizarreta left.

Couldn`t agree more. Ever since Zubi we haven`t had such a goalkeeper.
And as Michael said, who do we buy? Gamble everything on Asenjo? No thank you

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Need to bench him. I`m not getting into his fault at Forlan`s goal, it`s just that I think he has troubles with his confidence and we cannot afford it

maz

I walk the line
:$ Great post! I also heard he was from a very rough neighbourhood. Not sure how that figures in it all..but i doubt he is your social outgoing type.

However he is low on confidence and we need to play pinto while vv recovers some form. Some time off will do him good.

IraqiCulé

Like I said in the match thread, the thing about Valdes is...I just want to see him move. If he moves at least I'll know he tried. Just don't stand still or fall backwards, it kills me.

When you see a goal go into your own net with you're goalie not even budging, that goal really stings!!! This has been the case with so many Clasico goals we've conceded, Valdes not moving. Even if he had no chance of saving them, just move, dive, try to make it look like you're trying to save it. Has Casillas ever been scored on while standing still? Rarely.

Btw, I'm not sure benching Valdes will give him the right message. :S

Segarra

Great post, and I agree with most of it. Still, I would like to see a new keeper. I've always liked Sebastien Frey myself, he seems to be a great goalkeeper.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
What he needs is some competition, because everybody knows that Jorquera and Pinto aren't really comparable to him... I agree he needs to be benched for a couple of matches...

maz

I walk the line
Like I said in the match thread, the thing about Valdes is...I just want to see him move. If he moves at least I'll know he tried. Just don't stand still or fall backwards, it kills me.

When you see a goal go into your own net with you're goalie not even budging, that goal really stings!!! This has been the case with so many Clasico goals we've conceded, Valdes not moving. Even if he had no chance of saving them, just move, dive, try to make it look like you're trying to save it. Has Casillas ever been scored on while standing still? Rarely.
To be fair vv made some good saves today.

And i dont think its his lack of movement which annoys u. Its just the mistakes. If he makes mistakes and yet moves for the goals which he concedes (just like he tried for the 4th goal yet put alot of the blame on him for it..not making any judgements just stating the facts) u would still have the same opinion of him. Its the mistakes which are annoying everyone, and thats fair.

Home of Barca Fans