10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria

Poor game for his standards but He still managed to do the job. Lost way too may balls and failed to dribble anyone I think. To me a poor game by Messi is games like this when he's totally controlled and fails to take on players. His finishing was poor but to be honest I have never rated his finishing that high. I think he's on the second level when it comes to finishing but tonight was wasteful. He will come back though. He Still has alot to prove and he will do it!

Messi stats from tonight:
Passing Accuracy: 90% (Thiago 91%, Masche and Jona 90%)
Key passes: 4(Thiago got 3)
Succesful dribles: 6
and he was dispposed 3 times.

The only thing on which I agree is his finishing..but that was our story this season.

D

danumber10

Messi stats from tonight:
Passing Accuracy: 90% (Thiago 91%, Masche and Jona 90%)
Key passes: 4(Thiago got 3)
Succesful dribles: 6
and he was dispposed 3 times.

The only thing on which I agree is his finishing..but that was our story this season.
where'd you get those stats? I could swear Messi lost the ball more times. 3 times? I don't believe that. 6 successful dribbles 6? still poor for his standards in a 90 minute game.

B

barcelonista

where'd you get those stats? I could swear Messi lost the ball more times. 3 times? I don't believe that. 6 successful dribbles 6? still poor for his standards in a 90 minute game.

He averages 5.1 dribbles per game. How is 6 poor for his standards then? 6 > 5.1 and therefore clearly above average by definition.

D

danumber10

He averages 5.1 dribbles per game. How is 6 poor for his standards then? 6 > 5.1 and therefore clearly above average by definition.
I don't know how many he averages per game but I can tell you I had never seen Messi lose the ball so many times as he has in the last few games. A few days ago I found out Messi was the player to lose the ball more than any other player and I wasn't even aware of that. But I think you might agree he has been below his standards lately.

T

tariqo

I don't know how many he averages per game but I can tell you I had never seen Messi lose the ball so many times as he has in the last few games. A few days ago I found out Messi was the player to lose the ball more than any other player and I wasn't even aware of that. But I think you might agree he has been below his standards lately.

he lost it ,& this is the real messi u see now

B

barcelonista

And I explained a couple of days ago why this is. See here: http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/9-10-Lionel-Messi?p=737155&viewfull=1#post737155

His finishing has been below his standards. His general plays hasn't. Assisted, scored, created several more chances. Messi at his best is so unreal that people think he's shit once he's just at 70 %, although in reality Messi @ 70 % is still the best player in the world.

Maria

The fact that he has been sub-par in the last month doesn't meen that he didn't had a good game tonight..
And about his dribles..he had 93 succesful ones in the first 19 games of La Liga..the second best was 36..so if Messi is a bad dribbler, I don't know how the other footballers are.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Don't know what game you guys were watching but other than the assist and goal Messi had a poor game, his decision making was horrific and was very selfish at times.
I don't care how many average dribbles per game he had but to call his dribbling tonight 'Messi standard' is an insult to Messi. He was dispossessed countless times, and his dribbles weren't anything near his standards.

Regardless, despite his poor play he still provided a perfectly weighted through ball for the goal and finished his toughest chance to score the 2nd.

That's why he is the best player in the world, he can suck all game but his sheer quality and talent is enough to decide game on its own.

T

tariqo

Messi has this kind of character that he needs to feel supported to deliver his best. Call it negative, weak or whatever you like, that's his personality. Messi is always Messi. Even if he has a bad game he might show some magic in one moment and change the course of the whole game. But overally, I got the feeling that the players that are playing beside him upfront right now are not in that level that Messi feel secures around 'em. Messi is a demanding player. Alexis Sanchez, despite all the orgy people have for him in here, and showing some flashes of brilliance during this season is still far from that reliable undisputed part of the Barcelona strking force and Cuenca is just a young lad. Villa, Pedro and Iniesta are all out, so Messi is feeling more and more pressure on his shoulders to lift the team forward and scoring goals.

Messi both needs the trust of his team-mates and to trust his team-mates to deliver his best. That's his character. I don't rule out that he can be tired as well (as I'm sure he is), but on a bigger image, that's how I see it is now regarding his current situation. He has the same case with Argentina, where it's even a bigger mess, and that's why Messi's performances for Argentina are far from the ones that he has with Barcelona. Messi needs security, both in his head and around him to be the great Messi we all know. The more secure he feels, the better he performs. And vice versa.

the best post in the last 100 pages

Clockwise

Buccaneer
Finally, when asked about Messi’s performance, Guardiola said “he’s as eager as ever. He self motivates. He could have scored four goals. As long as he’s feeling well, he’ll play. The pitch was a big stumbling block for him tonight. He scored an amazing goal after a very good pass from Dani.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans