10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
That indeed is pretty incredible breaking Raul/Sheva's record at only 24, by the time he retires he will smash it, perhaps even double it.

B

barcelonista

You're right he ran Leverkusen rugged in the first halff...was a class act. ran the show completely

It's was a CL away game against one of the Bundesliga's top teams. Chelsea lost on the same ground. They played extremely defensive in the first half, always having Messi marked by 2 - 3 players. That's the extra treatment a 3 times Ballon d'Or winner gets. In the second half they were behind and attacked more => more space opened up => Messi scored. He didn't "run the show" in a sense that he constantly made fun of Leverkusen players but no one does against well organised Germans on their own ground. He still decided the game (and probably the whole tie) with 1 assist and 1 goal.

Hatem Ben Arfa

i really don't know what people are expecting from messi anymore, they just keep clinging on to that 'old messi' notion. it is complete and utter nostalgic fallacy. (not directed at canto but most cules recently). what else do you guys expect from him? he is creating dozens of chances every game and virtually has 2-4 scoring chances each match, not to mention he is (so far) having his best season ever?

Energy for 90 mins, not just the last 10
Enthusiasm for 90 mins
Pressing.....period
Willingness to take people on when 1 on 1 instead of just passing it backwards in order to have a rest during the match
Hunger for 90 mins not just the last 10

that is what people are clinging on to, everything that epitomized his performances in 08/09 ,09/10 & 10/11

Despite his amazing numbers this season, There is a MARK-ED difference between those last 3 years and his performances this season. And that difference has been seen by everyone! otherwise it would not be a subject of conversation among fans and pundits alike.

dalitis8

Banned
Energy for 90 mins, not just the last 10
Enthusiasm for 90 mins
Pressing.....period
Willingness to take people on when 1 on 1 instead of just passing it backwards in order to have a rest during the match
Hunger for 90 mins not just the last 10

that is what people are clinging on to, everything that epitomized his performances in 08/09 ,09/10 & 10/11

Despite his amazing numbers this season, There is a MARK-ED difference between those last 3 years and his performances this season. And that difference has been seen by everyone! otherwise it would not be a subject of conversation among fans and pundits alike.

Messi cut down on running (on Pep's orders) after 08/09.

gingerless

do you really think he would be as good if he continued dogging it out every match of his professional career? just so he could be more pleasant on the eye for the average football fan? (not that i think he is any less entertaining) he is tactically far superior and his work in the midfield is being very underrated. he is becoming the perfect efficient footballer yet people want him to revert to being less significant and more of a trickster. it's easy to complain about what could be but remember that he's only human, what he is doing now exceeds (in my mind) what he would have been if he continued to play like he used to.

all this and he hasn't even changed his game as much as it's made out to be... you guys are talking as if he's a footballer who has surpassed his peak and is slowly degrading

ammarfcb

ze special one
i know it's game night and were meant to be talking about the game but i found this:
tumblr_lmdn1jzTLF1qh3oybo1_500.jpg

:lol: why have i never seen this

dalitis8

Banned
thought I'd pop back in here now. thought that after a nice CL away win (first in this round under Pep) with Messi scoring and breaking Raul & Sheva's record, the level of idiocy and whinging would be down. I was wrong.

I'll be back off then, just after I make one post.

You sir, are correct. I have been saying the same thing for weeks.

What's all this shit about the "old" Messi? Messi is better now than he ever was, he keeps improving.

Some people just don't get football I suppose. Messi is stratospheric. He doesn't have to run like a headless chicken for 90mns as if he were Fletcher or Carlos or Makelele to make an impact.

Hatem Ben Arfa

do you really think he would be as good if he continued dogging it out every match of his professional career? just so he could be more pleasant on the eye for the average football fan? (not that i think he is any less entertaining) he is tactically far superior and his work in the midfield is being very underrated. he is becoming the perfect efficient footballer yet people want him to revert to being less significant and more of a trickster. it's easy to complain about what could be but remember that he's only human, what he is doing now exceeds (in my mind) what he would have been if he continued to play like he used to.

all this and he hasn't even changed his game as much as it's made out to be... you guys are talking as if he's a footballer who has surpassed his peak and is slowly degrading

I've already explained once, I'm not going to do it again.

If you think Messi's performance have not dipped significantly to the point where people are asking what is wrong, then that is fine. If you think Messi has been pressing and putting in even half the effort of last season let alone the 2 seasons before last, then that is fine.

For me, I haven't recognized the Messi I know too many times this season. Messi doesn't even have pressing in his game anymore for the vast majority of his games this season and coming up with world class assists should not distract from the fact that he has been quite annonymous in increasingly more and more games this season. Even commentators are saying more and more, Messi has a had a quiet game.

He's on target for a record breaking return of goals and assists this season, but we all know something is not 100% right with him. The fact that we all know he isn't 100% himself makes it even scarier about how even more GODLY he could be.

B

barcelonista

ginger with a serious post. What has the world come to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans