10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trillske

Historicaly, Messi has been Argentina's only creative source since 2008..was he at the same level that he showed with Barcelona? No. But just because he didn't scored as many goals, it doesn't mean he was mediocre(last year he had 10 assist+4 goal/13 matches for Argentina). Scoring a goal(not to mention a hattrick) with a midfield formed by Mascherano-Brana-Sosa-Maxi Rodriguez has 10 times the value of his hattrick against Malaga scored when he was playing with Busi-Thiago-Iniesta behind him.
If you watch Argentina's game from yesterday, you will see why they won't win everything. There is too much mediocrity on the bench and on the pitch. Spain's U-21 team plays better football than they do.
I dont blame him for Argentinas performance and I dont think he has been bad. Just not amazing. Add the fact that he has only performed his wonders in one team in one league (+CL), that he sometimes even have had trouble doing anything spectaculair away from home and it will make people doubt him. Not only one team, then - actually just one home field as well.

While its not certain, the chance is still pretty high he will stay in Barcelona his whole career. If he does, NT is his one chance to ever be concidered the greatest ever. And to be concidered the greatest every, "good" is just not enough.

If he keeps going like this in Argentina though, and they have one or two good WCs, point is definatly proven. No need for another league.

K

kroki223

I think there isn't any problems with Messi. He played well. Sabella wants him as a goalscorer, not playmaker, because of it, he doesn't give so much ball to other, and create chances. When Maradona and Batista were the coaches, he was a playmaker. During Batista Messi gave good balls to Higuaín. The expectations are too high. People want messi to score, that the problem. What is if he doesn't score? Messi is nothing in the N.T. Maybe because of it Sabella wants him as a goalscorer. I think Argentina played well, when Messi was the playmaker.

Trillske

Its not that Argentina have played *bad* fotball. Ever.
Its looking at a squad that is absolutely jaw dropping. Offensively, I´d call it one of the best ever. On paper.

M

mitkoa7x

Leo is singlehandedly dragging this shitty Argentina side by the balls. The haters are running out of "arguments".

Yaotzin

Its looking at a squad that is absolutely jaw dropping. Offensively, I´d call it one of the best ever. On paper.
On paper their midfield and defence is fucking shit. In reality, their midfield and defence is fucking shit.

The forward line is jaw dropping, but anyone with a clue about football knows that having 1/3rd of a team doesn't amount to much.

B

barcelonista

On paper their midfield and defence is fucking shit. In reality, their midfield and defence is fucking shit.

The forward line is jaw dropping, but anyone with a clue about football knows that having 1/3rd of a team doesn't amount to much.

To be fair. Their midfield isn't shit. Mascherano is arguably one of the best DMs in the world. Khedira is certainly not better, is he? And Banega isn't a pub player either. Granted, they are not on Spain's level. But no one is. The Dutch don't have a better midfield. They are playing De Jong and 34 year old van Bommel with Kuyt on the wings.

--------------------------Higuain-------------------------------
Lavezzi / Agüero-----------Messi------------------------Di Maria
----------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------Banega------------------
---------------Mascherano--------------------------------------

Personelly they have the quality to play as good as Germany. Their defense isn't top notch but that's not THE biggest problem. In their last 12 games they never conceded more than 1 goal. They should comfortably beat every side in the world bar Spain and Germany. And they shouldn't be much worse than Germany. They have better players than Podolski, Klose and Khedira and Boateng and Mertesacker aren't the best defenders in the world either. Give this team to a coach like Hiddink and I swear he'll make it to the World Cup final with them.

Last edited:

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
If he is happy playing with Argentina he will play much better in Barça. So I'm glad he scored a hattrick. :)

dalitis8

Banned

On paper and in reality, the Argentine forward line may indeed be the best ever.

But like somebody else said, the midfield + the defense + the goalkeepers + the managers are beyond useless.

It would have been better for Argentina, if they had one good fullback, one good creative midfielder, one good keeper and one good manager + Leo Messi.

But they are top heavy + being absolute rubbish everywhere else.

Maria

Spain's squad is jaw dropping..Argentina has only forwards(even Brazil is more balanced)..and for those who are giving Banega or Mascherano as examples, they never were consistent for Argentina.
Besides Messi only Higuain, Gago or Aguero showed some kind of consistency.
Oh..and Argentina plays very bad football..and not only from an aesthetic pov, but also from a systematic one. Like I said, even the coach who trains my NT tries to integrate an AM in to the team..Argentina plays with 9 defensive players+Messi+a forward. So please spare us all this crap when it's obvious you're not even watching them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans