10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ender

It's the Barca system that 'activates' Messi. Doesn't matter whether it's Xavi and Iniesta, or Cesc and Keita, whatever the players as long as they can play the system they can enable Messi to achieve his potential. Argentina do not have the manager or the players to play a system that 'activates' Messi. It's not just the higher quality of passing, but also the movements off the ball and positioning that are key. These don't just rely on an individuals skill or passing ability, but multiple players working together.
This.

Maria

What Argentina needs(apart from a capable manager) is someone like Xavi in the midfield..what Messi needs it's a players like Iniesta or Dani Alves who could take the burden of creativity of his shoulders and play for him. In theory, Argentina has those players(Banega, Gago, Pastore and Di Maria) but I don't know if I saw them at least once on the pitch together, playing good. The most frustrating it's Di Maria who can be spectacular for RM, but he's extremely poor with Argentina.

You can blame Messi all you want for his lack of leadership or because he can't carry the whole team on his shoulders..but at the end of the day, when you see that Argentina isn't capable of playing good against Nigeria or Costa Rica and that they are completely dependend of Messi or sometimes Aguero, you have to think that the coach is a part of the problem too.

I honestly don't think that Messi is going to win a WC, but that won't stop me from apreciating his unique, once in a decade talent..and I can only hope that Barcelona is going to take advantage of him and surround him with special players. And Messi will respond with special moments and hopefully many trophies.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
It's the Barca system that 'activates' Messi. Doesn't matter whether it's Xavi and Iniesta, or Cesc and Keita, whatever the players as long as they can play the system they can enable Messi to achieve his potential. Argentina do not have the manager or the players to play a system that 'activates' Messi. It's not just the higher quality of passing, but also the movements off the ball and positioning that are key. These don't just rely on an individuals skill or passing ability, but multiple players working together.

Are you arguing against my point or with it? I am not sure. Messi will eventually learn to adapt to new systems, otherwise his club form will not be replicated on the international stage, and Pele can't wait :lol:

But there is also the other side of the coin, Argentina cannot and should not replicate Barca's system. Whenever they do, they are total failures.
Read, Messis play without Xavi (or any other player that has been accused for being a big part of Leos succes for that matter), the endless driblings where he makes every defender wanna retire, is the work that makes him the best player in the history and a once in a life time player. That's why we all will remember him.

That is what the Argentinian fans are mad about, because his mazy runs, curling shots have pulled Barcelona through on so many occasions but he rarely went on one of those inspired out of this world plays for Argentina.

Like I said, eventually he will learn to adapt to new roles, he will grab the games by the scruff of the neck as seen in his last game with Argentina (or was it last two?), but he will also need to make a statement and push Argentina into its own path, away from replicating Barcas.
He's not totally effective when he has to mark and tackle, either. He's not a midfielder. Of course he's not as good a midfielder as Xavi, who ever said he was?

He's a way better midfielder than Xavi is a forward, though.

Yup. Hardly anyone here would argue that, no? Part of the reason is he cannot surrender some duties to other players with confidence.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
What Argentina needs(apart from a capable manager) is someone like Xavi in the midfield..what Messi needs it's a players like Iniesta or Dani Alves who could take the burden of creativity of his shoulders and play for him. In theory, Argentina has those players(Banega, Gago, Pastore and Di Maria) but I don't know if I saw them at least once on the pitch together, playing good. The most frustrating it's Di Maria who can be spectacular for RM, but he's extremely poor with Argentina.

You can blame Messi all you want for his lack of leadership or because he can't carry the whole team on his shoulders..but at the end of the day, when you see that Argentina isn't capable of playing good against Nigeria or Costa Rica and that they are completely dependend of Messi or sometimes Aguero, you have to think that the coach is a part of the problem too.

I honestly don't think that Messi is going to win a WC, but that won't stop me from apreciating his unique, once in a decade talent..and I can only hope that Barcelona is going to take advantage of him and surround him with special players. And Messi will respond with special moments and hopefully many trophies.

Where did I 'blame' Messi? The only thing I said is that his leadership skills aren't ripe because of his young age. It is not his fault, nor a criticism, it is just the way it is, he is not that type of player (yet?).

So if Argentina needs a Xavi then you agree with me that Xavi activates Messi's genius?

As for Di Maria, he is a bit of a door knob, like Lavezzi and Tevez. For some reason he went selfish like the others, totally thinking they could own the Internationals for some lime light. Higuain compliments Messi's work the most, Aguero is the most talented of the bunch but inconsistent.

I still think
Di Maria Higuain
Messi

should be the line up but it remains to be seen whether most players will play to Messi strength or not. And then their is the midfield.

Yaotzin

Yup. Hardly anyone here would argue that, no? Part of the reason is he cannot surrender some duties to other players with confidence.
I think it has more to do with the fact that he's played hundreds of games as a forward, and a handful as a midfielder.

Sad thing is he's still Argentina's best midfielder.

dalitis8

Banned

A good post.

B

barcelonista

Never noticed this before but does he receive applause from the Bernabeu crowd here @ 1:56 or am I seeing things?!

Someone make a gif of that please from 1:56 - 1:58.

Last edited:

Kerrybai

I wonder why no one ever argues that it's Messi who makes Xavi and Iniesta look better and not the other way round?

Messi is the best because he is Messi. If he signed for Stoke City this summer he would still be the best in the world. Sure he wont score as much goals, but he will still shoot as good, pass as good, finish as good and dribble as good. Its how get you are at those skills that make you best.

Xavi and Inesta dont make Messi better. Ozil doesnt make Ronaldo better. No one makes any else 'better'. Its not physically possible. Xavi creating space for Messi does not make him better, it merely allows him more chances to showcase his talent.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
spain_euro_0630.jpg

spain-world-cup-winners.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans