10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Leo

Banned
So Messi did not train with the rest of the team due to discomfort. Probably from the 1 Leg match when he slipped. I think he looked tired during the classico. So the question is again begging to be asked: For how long this Messi dependency will continue? I understand that we lost Villa before Xmas and yes Alexis is still adapting but wasn't better to spend our money on Aguero instead of killing ourselves to get yet another midfielder (Cesc)? Kun would have provided a penetrating and striking power upfront. He and Leo have harmony and best of all he's young and healthy. Now Rosell is chasing Neymar with big Cash yes they keep telling us we have little money to spend. I am not very optimistic about our chances against Chelsea largely due the fatigue we have experienced.

BarcaGirl

Messi didn't attend training yesterday because he didn't feel well. He's expected to be back in training this evening #fcblive [sport]

B

barcelonista

People talk about Messi being overplayed but Ronaldo plays as much as him. And while Messi averages somewhere around 8 km a game (and we are dominating ALL of them, it's not as if he's running his heart out every week), Ronaldo averages 10+ km. Also if I remember correctly Lampard is one of those players who barely rested in his prime (I think he even holds a record of consecutive games in the Premier League) and with 33 he's still playing and doing ok ...

I know where you are coming from though and I also find it ridiculous that he has to play a second leg Copa del Rey game even when we've won the first leg like 5-0. But I guess the people who are payed shitloads of money to look after him know what they are doing. At least I hope so.

Chainsaw

Killahead
People talk about Messi being overplayed but Ronaldo plays as much as him. And while Messi averages somewhere around 8 km a game (and we are dominating ALL of them, it's not as if he's running his heart out every week), Ronaldo averages 10+ km. Also if I remember correctly Lampard is one of those players who barely rested in his prime (I think he even holds a record of consecutive games in the Premier League) and with 33 he's still playing and doing ok ...

I know where you are coming from though and I also find it ridiculous that he has to play a second leg Copa del Rey game even when we've won the first leg like 5-0. But I guess the people who are payed shitloads of money to look after him know what they are doing. At least I hope so.

Irrelevant. The players you're brought up for comparison with Messi in this case are known to be physically very strong athletes. Ronaldo has always been mentioned as a force of nature and some even go that far saying he more relies on his athleticism than footballing brain. You can't compare Messi who was suffering from growth hormone deficiency in childhood and is no Roberto Carlos either to someone like Ronaldo. Just have a look at their physicality. Plus being tired doesn't exclusively means physically but also mentality. Think of Messi's influence inthe Barca team and compare it to Ronaldo and Lampard in Real and Chelsea. Messi plays a very much more important role for Barca team than Ronaldo and Lampard do for their respective teams. It's all more pressure and expectations and it wear out the players more than the physical tiredness can does. Even that, if I'm not wrong Messi still played more minutes than Ronaldo and Lampard did this season.

So people are not really wrong about bringing this up about Messi being worn out.

Pepe Silvia

Xavi and Iniesta are to blame lately, not Messi. Especially Iniesta. He's been playing so shitty lately. Xavi had some slowed down moments in the last few games passing wise, and they both have been energetic and determined to do something, just not actually effective at it. Busquets has been our hero in midfield, and sadly Messi too (Mascherano to an extent as well pushing forward and opening lanes). Someone in Barcelona offices take notice, our forward lines are SHIT!!! Messi needs support up front...

Ender

Xavi and Iniesta are to blame lately, not Messi. Especially Iniesta. He's been playing so shitty lately. Xavi had some slowed down moments in the last few games passing wise, and they both have been energetic and determined to do something, just not actually effective at it. Busquets has been our hero in midfield, and sadly Messi too (Mascherano to an extent as well pushing forward and opening lanes). Someone in Barcelona offices take notice, our forward lines are SHIT!!! Messi needs support up front...
How is that Xavi's and Iniesta's fault? You just answered your own criticism: they have no one to pass to forward, hence the need to pass sideways or backward.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Xavi's injury has hindered him lately, it's been obvious for everyone to see. Iniesta on the other hand did very well against Chelsea. Possibly MOTM.

M

mitkoa7x

Lets form an angry mob and head to Xavi's thread!

But seriously I think all of the players are responsible for the dink in performance, some to greater extend than others.

K

kroki223

Xavi's injury has hindered him lately, it's been obvious for everyone to see. Iniesta on the other hand did very well against Chelsea. Possibly MOTM.

Iniesta MOM against Chelsea???? Don't tell me! Messi couldn't score because Xavi and iniesta didn't play well? He scored a lot of goals without them. he doesn't have help in front. No the main problem is, that the others couldn't score. Messi was hindered, because Xavi, Iniesta, Sanchez, Fabregas, Thiago Puyol couldn't score!!!!!!Messi gave good balls, but where were Xavi and Iniesta with the good balls??? why Iniesta played on the left???

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I do not know???

Iniesta, Messi and Puyol were our best players on the night. The others were mostly disappointing (although Sanchez did well except for his finishing).
Remember that Iniesta pass to Alexis? Or that shot that led to Cesc basically facing an open goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans