10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yugo Count Dante

Pep has already shown how Messi has to play, so I'm not worried about that.
He's the best in the world... but a new coach, (possible) new players, new adjustments in tactics... not to mention that if the team form drops it will influence Messi too, being the best in the world does not mean you can carry the whole team, this is a too heavy burden to carry for a whole season. But I hope for the best... It's the players that play not the coaches.

M

mitkoa7x

Yes, well in 2010, He had at least led his team to a meaningful title ie. La Liga, which is not the case this year. I think that played a part...You know :p

He can still smash the all time record for most goals in a season... thats worthy of a Ballon D'or.

Clockwise

Buccaneer
Yes, well in 2010, He had at least led his team to a meaningful title ie. La Liga, which is not the case this year. I think that played a part...You know :p

The title CR won last year,while having a much worse season than Leo's, was enough to make him second best player. I can not see why Messi should not win it...other than Blatter getting bored with Leo being the best, and his inner loser trying to prevent him from winning it.

Yugo Count Dante

former Barcelona boss Antic

"He argues with team-mates and with referees' decisions," the Serb told Com Radio. "This Messi has changed a lot.

"You cannot dispute his quality but his state of mind in the last few months has not helped his abilities.

"Messi is now intermittent. He doesn't help recover the ball, the defensive work starts when the play finishes."

Antic also argued that the 24-year-old attacker went missing after striking the crossbar with a spot-kick early in the second half of Tuesday's Champions League clash with Chelsea.

"When you miss a penalty you are not just missing the penalty, you lose a player because he is affected by the miss," the 63-year-old declared.

Turning his attention to the current speculation over Pep Guardiola's future as Barcelona boss, Antic opined that the former Spain international should wait until the end of the season before making his mind up over whether to sign a new contract with the Catalan outfit.

"At this time there is still a long way to go, the final of the Copa [del Rey] is still there and making a decision now would not be right for a great coach and a club as big as Barcelona," he reasoned.

"But training Barcelona is not easy because even after so much success, there are always comparisons with the past."

..... these are experienced people speaking, with Pep's potential leaving..... I'm worried ;/

Hatem Ben Arfa

former Barcelona boss Antic

"He argues with team-mates and with referees' decisions," the Serb told Com Radio. "This Messi has changed a lot.

"You cannot dispute his quality but his state of mind in the last few months has not helped his abilities.

"Messi is now intermittent. He doesn't help recover the ball, the defensive work starts when the play finishes."

Antic also argued that the 24-year-old attacker went missing after striking the crossbar with a spot-kick early in the second half of Tuesday's Champions League clash with Chelsea.

"When you miss a penalty you are not just missing the penalty, you lose a player because he is affected by the miss," the 63-year-old declared.

Turning his attention to the current speculation over Pep Guardiola's future as Barcelona boss, Antic opined that the former Spain international should wait until the end of the season before making his mind up over whether to sign a new contract with the Catalan outfit.

"At this time there is still a long way to go, the final of the Copa [del Rey] is still there and making a decision now would not be right for a great coach and a club as big as Barcelona," he reasoned.

"But training Barcelona is not easy because even after so much success, there are always comparisons with the past."

..... these are experienced people speaking, with Pep's potential leaving..... I'm worried ;/

you can't argue with what he has said when you have seen it with your own eyes this season.

however you are in for an almighty sh*t storm from other posters on this board who act like children and go apesh*t for someone daring to comment on a news regarding Messi that points out a recent flaw or mistake or FACT that doesn't put him the best of lights.

I agree with what Antic has pointed out though. He has changed. he never used to argue with referees (shouting PUTO while walking past ref and getting yellow card for it just one eg.) and he never used argue or shout and snap at his teammates. He has done both this season. they are FACTS. Anyone who argues that he has not changed in that respect and that he used to do such things before are kidding themselves.

It's not nice to see from someone we are so used to seeing be respectful and humble.

as for his pressing, I've only seen it in a handful of games this season and not surprisingly they are his best games i.e. Leverkuse, Malaga, Valencia. Most of the season his pressing and offball movement has not been good good enough.

That said, my man has 63 goals this season!!!!!!!! So insanely, there is even more room for improvement.

Perhaps he just needs to be rested PROPERLY.

If Pep leaves, I think Bielsa would be the perfect foil for Messi to go on to another level, based soley on his motivational powers. He would certainly get him pressing like he used to in previous seasons.

F

Flavia

He would certainly get him pressing like he used to in previous seasons.
I honestly hope not. That would make him worn himself out, be more susceptible to injuries. He stopped pressing and now rests during games for a reason.

jayzsa

i think messi was told by pep to press less and conserve his energy, if there is one player who you can afford this luxury for, its him.

as for the other things like shouting at teammates etc, I actually like it, shows he has matured and is becoming more of a leader.

Last edited:

Hatem Ben Arfa

I honestly hope not. That would make him worn himself out, be more susceptible to injuries. He stopped pressing and now rests during games for a reason.

yes at times it is resting.

I thought that is what he was doing against Madrid in order to save himself for Chelsea. But then the Chelsea game came along and there was again no pressing, leading me to think wtf is going on?????? is he injured or has his resting on the pitch gotten to the point where it has become a bad habit verging on 'i can't be arsed' proportions when he is not in need of rest. I don't know if this gastric problem that caused him to miss training was a reason for the lack of pressing in the Chelsea game or not because it has been most of the season there has been a huge lack of his pressing game or movement off the ball.

also the whole more susceptible to injuries thing, I disagree with that. 08/09 and 09/10 the pressing he did then did not cause injuries leading him to missing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans