10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Guaje

Meh, all this info makes me a lil confused.

There is only 1 link saying 70, everything else points at 67.

Well I gues I will have to wait till when all the newspapers are writing something like "MESSI SCORES 68TH GOAL AND BREAKS ALL TIME RECORD" :p

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
With the 2 goals and 2 assists today, Messi not only tied Ronaldo for the Liga's top scorer at 43 goals, but also tied Ozil with 15 assists for the league's assist leader.

#4thBallonD'or

J

jiopi

With the 2 goals and 2 assists today, Messi not only tied Ronaldo for the Liga's top scorer at 43 goals, but also tied Ozil with 15 assists for the league's assist leader.

#4thBallonD'or
2+3 with wider assist rules, and even the own goal was started by Messi's robbery.

Kerrybai

1925, wow

Did they even have offside back then? haha.

We all thought he would struggle to break 47 goals. The he got 53 and said thats his best ever. Now hes on 65 and people are doubting he will break that. Remember last season he won CL and league so his hunger may not have been at its highest level this season. Next season he could be even more prolific in the league with his hunger to regain it.... Okay its hard to see him reaching 65 again but 55 - 60 seems reasonable.

I find his assists count more impressive tough... 28 assists for a team that got stage fright in front of goal every second game.

J

jiopi

The official counting doesn't use the wider rules, thus rebounds don't count as assists.
There is no official assist, because assist isn't defined by the football rules. Wider rules portray better the involvement in the goals.

El Guaje

Did they even have offside back then? haha.

We all thought he would struggle to break 47 goals. The he got 53 and said thats his best ever. Now hes on 65 and people are doubting he will break that. Remember last season he won CL and league so his hunger may not have been at its highest level this season. Next season he could be even more prolific in the league with his hunger to regain it.... Okay its hard to see him reaching 65 again but 55 - 60 seems reasonable.

I find his assists count more impressive tough... 28 assists for a team that got stage fright in front of goal every second game.

Agree with that. But the fact is that the higher numbers you get, the harder it will be to break them. When you come to 53+ goals per season, 10+ goals is really much. There is a "difference" between breaking records at 40 goals and breaking records at 65+.

So if he now gets to 68 and stops there, it will be harder than ever for him to break it.
Im not gonna say that he is not going to do it, but it is unlikely.

J

jiopi

You think I saw that? I think you thought wrong.

It's wikipedia. Any footbal moron could go on there and edit it to take away some of the glory from Messi.
Well I saw that page about couple months ago, and Stark was there.

Kerrybai

You think I saw that? I think you thought wrong.

It's wikipedia. Any footbal moron could go on there and edit it to take away some of the glory from Messi.

Sorry I should have provided evidence when I mentioned Stark initally.

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesu/usatops.html rsssf.com is the best source for finding football statisitcs, particularly old statistics.

They have him down as 67 goals in 44 games. The wiki page has him listed as 70 as it includes 3 goals in 'other' which unfortunately I can not verify and of course wiki can be edited by anyone as you have pointed out.

Of course this record along with Mullers 67, Deaks 66, Peles 66 etc all came during times with much higher average goals per game so Messi's goalscoring has been much more impressive. However it would be nice for him to pick up 3 more to reach 68, maybe even hit 70 because many football fans are ignorant and uneducated and judge players based on statistics only. It would also be nice to rub it in Pele's face :lol:

J

jiopi

Of course this record along with Mullers 67, Deaks 66, Peles 66 etc all came during times with much higher average goals per game so Messi's goalscoring has been much more impressive. However it would be nice for him to pick up 3 more to reach 68, maybe even hit 70 because many football fans are ignorant and uneducated and judge players based on statistics only. It would also be nice to rub it in Pele's face :lol:
This is essential I think, because as you said, then there wouldn't be a argument.

La LL

Generally Delightful
Well I saw that page about couple months ago, and Stark was there.

I've been checking it regularly ever since Messi reached his 58th goal. The highest scorer I came across was an Iranian player with 68 but I've never seen Stark being placed at the top before now.

J

jiopi

I've been checking it regularly ever since Messi reached his 58th goal. The highest scorer I came across was an Iranian player with 68 but I've never seen Stark being placed at the top before now.
As I said, you probably saw the European page.

J

jiopi

And as we are on the breaking records, best goal scoring season (club + NT),

Pele 1958 75 goals
Messi 2011-2012 70 goals, and 4 club/ 2 NT games still to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans