10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

La LL

Generally Delightful
There. Just fixed the wiki page. That was easy.

Unless anyone can find proof of those 3 extra goals it stay the way it is.

Basta.

J

jiopi

There. Just fixed the wiki page. That was easy.

Unless anyone can find proof of those 3 extra goals it stay the way it is.

Basta.
I think that is good I think, we need proof of that.

But you can probably also see the date when Stark was added there. ;)

La LL

Generally Delightful
I think that is good I think, we need proof of that.

But you can probably also see the date when Stark was added there. ;)

Didn't find much. There was no link to support the 3 extra goals and I could not find any confirmation anywhere.

Besides, people on Barcaforum have been going crazy about Messi breaking Müller's all time record for weeks. I don't think I'm the only one who is a wee bit surprised that Archibald suddenly has 70 goals.

J

jiopi

Didn't find much. There was no link to support the 3 extra goals and I could not find any confirmation anywhere.

Besides, people on Barcaforum have been going crazy about Messi breaking Müller's all time record for weeks. I don't think I'm the only one who is a wee bit surprised that Archibald suddenly has 70 goals.
Stark 70 was added in 26.11.2011, 67 before that, you can see it in history page. So I was right and you were wrong.

But I think it's good that you changed it, because no proof was presented.

J

jiopi

You're a brave one to deny that I was right.
What is your problem?

67 is European season record, Müller. 70 is record for the world, Stark 24-25 in US-league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_association_football_goal_scorers_in_a_single_season

That's funny... because the last couple of times (as late as two weeks ago) I looked at that page there was no Archie with 70 goals.

I think you saw the European top scorer Wiki page, Stark has been in the World page atleast couple of months. Cannot confirm the 70 goals though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_association_football_club_records

Now you can see it in the history page that Stark 70 was added on 26.11.2011, 67 before that.

Yes I'm really brave.

Kerrybai

Messi also surpassed Dixie Deans record of 63 goals in a single season today. I see a quote of his making its way around forums and blogs although I can't verify it.

'People ask me if that 60-goal record will ever be beaten. I think it will. But there's only one man who'll do it. That's the fellow that walks on the water. I think he's about the only one' :messi:

F

Flavia

barcastuff
With 162 goals, Lionel Messi surpasses David Villa as the active player with most Liga goals #fcblive 13th all-time [via #pedritonumeros]

Now Villa will be mad.

Hatem Ben Arfa

The Total is 70.

I'm sure Messi can equal it this season.
Born: Glasgow, Scotland, December 21, 1897. Died: Belleville, New Jersey, May 27, 1985.

Forward.

The most prolific goalscorer in American soccer history, Stark came to the United States as a young man. He began his senior soccer career with the Kearny Scots-Americans before switching to the Babcock and Wilcox team in nearby Bayonne. World War One interrupted his playing days and he spent time in the U.S. Army. With the end of the war he resumed his career with the Erie Athletic Association team in New Jersey before crossing the Hudson River in 1921 to play for the New York Football Club, in the professional American Soccer League where he was used mainly at inside right. But Stark's career really took off and he gained national prominence when he was signed by Bethlehem Steel as a center forward at the start of the 1924-25 season. In his first season with the famous Steel club he scored 67 goals in 44 league games and added three more in ASL cup competition.

Between 1921 and 1932 he scored over 300 goals in games played in the American and Eastern professional soccer leagues, and ASL cup games, plus 29 more in U.S. Open Cup games. With Bethlehem Steel he won the American Soccer League championship in 1927 and Eastern Soccer League championship in 1929 as well as the National Challenge Cup in 1926. Stark also played for the United States against Canada twice in 1925 scoring four times in the 6-1 American win at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn. Selected to the U.S. World Cup team in 1930 he turned down the offer citing business reasons, but later went on tour to Europe as a guest player with Fall River.

When the first American Soccer League collapsed following the combined effects of an internal dispute with the United States Football Association and the Great Depression, Stark signed to play in the second ASL for Kearny Irish-Americans. The greatest American goalscorer of all time Archie Stark ranks 43rd on the all time list of the world's top first division goalscorers with his 300 goals.

Stark played a total of 182 league games for the Bethlehem Steel in 1924-1930.

Source: Colin Jose, Historian, National Soccer Hall of Fame

BarcaOG

Banned
i think its silly to compare those old time players with messi.

i mean, hell, they had other jobs besides soccer. paolo alcantara was a doctor. that just speaks to the competitiveness of the older leagues. even from watching old reels you can tell the difference in the quality of footballers. im sure messi could have knocked in 3000 back then.

what he is doing now, when football truly is a professional sport,where players need to be progressively better to compete, is just phenomenal. and the way in which he is doing it is something else entirely. ronaldo is knocking in bagfulls of goals as well but most of them lack the quality that leo so elegantly puts into most of his goals.

and lets not even talk about assists. i mean, did you see his assist to keita today? like what in the fuck. im simply speechless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans