10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jiopi

i think its silly to compare those old time players with messi.

i mean, hell, they had other jobs besides soccer. paolo alcantara was a doctor. that just speaks to the competitiveness of the older leagues. even from watching old reels you can tell the difference in the quality of footballers. im sure messi could have knocked in 3000 back then.

what he is doing now, when football truly is a professional sport,where players need to be progressively better to compete, is just phenomenal. and the way in which he is doing it is something else entirely. ronaldo is knocking in bagfulls of goals as well but most of them lack the quality that leo so elegantly puts into most of his goals.

and lets not even talk about assists. i mean, did you see his assist to keita today? like what in the fuck. im simply speechless
True that. I was just reading some history about American Soccer League 1924-1925.

As Stark’s incredible season demonstrated, soccer in the 1920s was a much more open, offense-oriented game than is seen today in the 21st century. Often playing in a "pyramid" formation of five forwards, three halfbacks, and only two fullbacks, teams, scoring was more of a premium than preventing goals. Along with Stark, Andy Stevens (traded by an already-loaded Boston club to New Bedford early in the season) and Harold Brittan of Fall River eclipsed Daniel McNiven’s two-year old mark of 28 goals in a season. Also placing high in the scorers’ table were two native Americans: Davie Brown blossomed into a top finisher, netting 26 goals for New York giants, and Johnny Nelson, acquired by Brooklyn from Yonkers Thistle of the New York State League towards the end of the 1923-24 season, finished with 24 goals in 33 games.

:D

There are three league games left (and a cup final), all of his peers should help him reach that tally. I don't even care if they beg for 10 penalties each and every game... he needs to break this damned record once and for all... so no more Pedro/Alexis/Keita placing the ball into the net... they should have done it when it mattered...

Yugi

what the heck? they knew football in USA? gimme a break, in 1925 this is no brainer to compare it
back in the 19th century some English or Scottish players scored 80-90 goals per season
how is that even possible? amazing they are best top scorers in one season and noone gives them credit
and they also had to be younger than 18 years, nah nevermind, Messi´s more impressive

Kerrybai

i think its silly to compare those old time players with messi.

i mean, hell, they had other jobs besides soccer. paolo alcantara was a doctor. that just speaks to the competitiveness of the older leagues. even from watching old reels you can tell the difference in the quality of footballers. im sure messi could have knocked in 3000 back then.

what he is doing now, when football truly is a professional sport,where players need to be progressively better to compete, is just phenomenal. and the way in which he is doing it is something else entirely. ronaldo is knocking in bagfulls of goals as well but most of them lack the quality that leo so elegantly puts into most of his goals.

and lets not even talk about assists. i mean, did you see his assist to keita today? like what in the fuck. im simply speechless
I don't think anyone is foolish enough to compare Messi to players from that era. In fact I think it's foolish to even compare him to Pele and Muller as football has changed hugely from their eras. We are just hoping he breaks these records as some uneducated football fans see statistics as the only measure of skill. Maradona was an average goalscorer for both club and country yet is seen as one of the best but people on the media tend to only judge Messi by his stats.

J

jiopi

Tello - Pedro - Messi - Alexis - Cuenca
Iniesta - Busquets - Xavi
Puyol - Mascherano
Valdes

Barca in them days.
:lol:

F

Flavia

Sergio Busquets: “The most important thing is the team, but we have to do everything we can so that Leo Messi finishes the season as top goalscorer. He’s broken all the records, he’s the best in the world.

LaMessiah

Sergio Busquets: “The most important thing is the team, but we have to do everything we can so that Leo Messi finishes the season as top goalscorer. He’s broken all the records, he’s the best in the world.
while i'd love him to break the record, it was great to see him not forcing anything and still playing the killer balls to open up spaces. that move for keita's goal was simply sublime.

Maria

while i'd love him to break the record, it was great to see him not forcing anything and still playing the killer balls to open up spaces. that move for keita's goal was simply sublime.

That's what I appreciated too..and while I believe that he wants to win the Pichichi, I would rather see him break Pele's record and help us win the CDR for Pep.

King Leo

Banned
I hope Messi takes time this summer to concentrate on his free-kicks. If he can only improve that area of his arsenal he can be even more lethal and take his numbers higher (I may add here practicing penalty shots :blush: ).

LaMessiah

I hope Messi takes time this summer to concentrate on his free-kicks. If he can only improve that area of his arsenal he can be even more lethal and take his numbers higher (I may add here practicing penalty shots :blush: ).
his penalties need definite work... i love the guy but he just needs to pick a corner and put it there without that hesitation bullshit, trying to mess with the keeper.

would also be nice if he took some pressure off himself and let someone like cesc or xavi or even pedro take them every once in a while.

Ender

his penalties need definite work... i love the guy but he just needs to pick a corner and put it there without that hesitation bullshit, trying to mess with the keeper.

would also be nice if he took some pressure off himself and let someone like cesc or xavi or even pedro take them every once in a while.
I hear Sergio Ramos is offering lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans