10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrybai

My fear is they will pick CR7 because they want to shuffle things around. They might worry that the award is becoming farcical with the same player winning it so many times. Also judging by the age of both players, Ronaldo really only has 2 more years in which he can realistically match Messi's statistics. Then Messi will have 2-3 years on top without CR7 challenging him.
Of course another challenger could arrive but it is feasible that Messi could win the award for the next 4 years running and that could potentially be negative for the award.

Ender

My fear is they will pick CR7 because they want to shuffle things around. They might worry that the award is becoming farcical with the same player winning it so many times. Also judging by the age of both players, Ronaldo really only has 2 more years in which he can realistically match Messi's statistics. Then Messi will have 2-3 years on top without CR7 challenging him.
Of course another challenger could arrive but it is feasible that Messi could win the award for the next 4 years running and that could potentially be negative for the award.
I don't think that's true, at least not yet. I believe they'd like to see someone be the first to win the award four years in a row before it becomes repetitive.

Pepe Silvia

My fear is they will pick CR7 because they want to shuffle things around.
Shuffle things around? These are professional athletes not kindergartners getting gold stars or something ;)

They might worry that the award is becoming farcical with the same player winning it so many times.
I don't understand this at all. It's not like Messi is somehow under par to be deserved of the world's best player again. I can understand if this season he scored a mediocre 15 goals and 5 assists and CR had 30+/20+ or Ozil with 20+/20+.

Is that anywhere near what we're witnessing though?

I think it's a bit unfair to Messi to suggest that the committee "spread" out the award to keep people interested and player morale high. It's unfair because Messi deserves his accolades. 65+/29+?!?!?!?!?! That's unheard of, and if Cristiano wants to win it, he will have to bleed and leave everything on the pitch in Euro's to get his country past groups and perhaps get far in the competition. He or anyone else will need to elevate their games to extraordinary levels to be considered on the same playing field as Messi. It's only fair.
Also judging by the age of both players, Ronaldo really only has 2 more years in which he can realistically match Messi's statistics. Then Messi will have 2-3 years on top without CR7 challenging him.
So what? It's Messi's fault all of a sudden that CR is getting older?
The only way it would be negative is if the above situation, where Messi is mediocre wins it while other far more deserved competitors with far better stats and seasons don't win it. Until then, there is nothing unjust about Messi's 3 or potential 4th award imho.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
It's a combination of many things(individual performances and team trophies are the most important, of course)..until today I didn't really care about the Ballon d'Or(especially after loosing CL and Pep in the same week :( ), but when I saw Mou's campaign for Cristiano after the game against Bayern and again today(saying that CR deserves it because RM won the league, although in 2010 his opinion was different- he said then that Iniesta and Messi don't deserves it because Inter won the CL), I hope Leo wins it just to see Cristiano's face when that happens.
That would be great moment for just like when rm went out of the CL i kept seeing the match again and again just to see him in agony.

Ender

That would be great moment for just like when rm went out of the CL i kept seeing the match again and again just to see him in agony.
Nlymx.gif

J

jiopi

Stop this PK7 nonsense already, he hasn't done anything to warrant world best player prize.

Subjective D105 > PK7
Stats D105 >> PK7
Importance D105 > PK7
Titles D105 = PK7

He has to win Euros single-handedly, to have a change at FIFA Ballon d'Or.

Yannick03

The Ballon d'Or is supposed to award the best player in the world. Well, it was for the whole world to see who is the best player on this planet. The best player is without a doubt Léo. His stats are unheard of in modern football, so if he doesn't win it. The Ballon d'Or will lose its meaning.

P

Patty2720

The Ballon d'Or is supposed to award the best player in the world. Well, it was for the whole world to see who is the best player on this planet. The best player is without a doubt Léo. His stats are unheard of in modern football, so if he doesn't win it. The Ballon d'Or will lose its meaning.

This

Also

The Ballon d'Or is awarded to the best player on a yearly basis, and not season wise.
Leo and CR7 will still have to prove their worth in August-December ..

M

mitkoa7x

I hope the voters share your belief.

P

Patty2720

The Ballon d'Or is awarded on a yearly basis, and not season wise.
Leo and CR7 still have until December to prove their worth : D

Messi

Matches - 30
Goals - 36
Assists - 14

Does anyone know Ronaldo's stats this year?

J

jiopi

The Ballon d'Or is awarded on a yearly basis, and not season wise.
In practice that's not really true.

Fifa Ballon d'Or is a result of a subjective voting of 150 NT captains, 150 NT coaches and 150 media people, who can use pretty much any criteria they want. Also if you are making titles matter, they are won season wise, not a yearly basis.

P

Patty2720

In practice that's not really true.

Fifa Ballon d'Or is a result of a subjective voting of 150 NT captains, 150 NT coaches and 150 media people, who can use pretty much any criteria they want. Also if you are making titles matter, they are won season wise, not a yearly basis.

You know what I meant : p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans