10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

It's not about goals, sorry.
Yes, it is. Mostly, at least. Goals are football's main objective, and the ones who score the most, get the most attention and recognition. Messi surely deserved all his balon d'ors, and the ones to come. But you have to be blind to think all the success Barça had it's mostly because of him, because it was not.

J

jiopi

Yes & the clear reason is the award is more about goalscorers, that's completely obvious. I mean Maldini didn't even win one balon d'or.....

Xavi is more important to Barcelona than Messi & we shall see that when he retires. He is also the brains behind The Spanish NT & the reason why they are so succesful.
Uneducated opinion, again.

I think we all agree that national level football nowadays is a way worse quality football than top club football, because the time together to build or hone a team is so much less.

In that kind of situation, when you can take pretty much the best club team in history, bulk of their core players, and apply pretty much the same style to national team, gives them easy edge over other national teams, who can't do that. Case in point, Holland this year, bunch of great individuals don't make a great or even a good team.

Maria

Xavi is more important to Barcelona than Messi & we shall see that when he retires. He is also the brains behind The Spanish NT & the reason why they are so succesful.

Xavi is so good that Spain won the EC with him being :shit: for the entire tournament, with the exception of the final against Italy.

F

Flavia

Xavi is so good that Spain won the EC with him being :shit: for the entire tournament, with the exception of the final against Italy.
That's why they played badly and were criticized for almost the whole tournament, except the final.

J

jiopi

Yes, it is. Goals are football's main objective, and the ones who score the most, get the most attention and recognition. Messi surely deserved all his balon d'ors, and the ones to come. But you have to be blind to think all the success Barça had it's mostly because of him, because it was not.
You are making it to sound like it's about scoring goals, well it's not. At least not for me. It's the overall performance, the overall quality player puts forth. And where have I said Barca has mostly won because of Messi? Where did I said it, or was it just another assumption that you lot are very good and fast of making?

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism

He was by no means :shit: the whole tournament..he just has absoloutely massive standards, he still ran games with his eyes shut, also if we are to believe, he's been playing mostly with injury too.

Maria

That's why they played badly and were criticized for almost the whole tournament, except the final.

They played badly at the WC too and then Xavi performed better.

He was by no means :shit: the whole tournament..he just has absoloutely massive standards, he still ran games with his eyes shut, also if we are to believe, he's been playing mostly with injury too.

He was awfull..Xabi and Busi were a lot better than him, not to mention Iniesta. It was so bad that in one game Xabi completed more passes than him.

F

Flavia

You are making it to sound like it's about scoring goals, well it's not. At least not for me. It's the overall performance, the overall quality player puts forth. And where have I said Barca has mostly won because of Messi? Where did I said it, or was it just another assumption that you lot are very good and fast of making?
Not only about scoring goals, but they make an enourmous difference in the end. You just need to take a look at the votes. It's the general opinion of the voters that count, not yours or mine. This year I'm betting Falcão can make the top 5, at least, if he keeps scoring as he is.

I'm making the assumption because of posts like these:
That rather awful statement, it's not a career award, it a season award, and Xavi has never been the best player in any seasons. Messi and Cronaldo have been playing with one great and one bad team, Xavi with basically one great team, Sparcelona.
There's a reason Spain and Barça are so good, and it's the midfield with Xavi. Not the other way around, as you stated.

They played badly at the WC too and then Xavi performed better.
Spain wasn't as bad in the wc as they were in the euro.

Maria

Not only about scoring goals, but they make an enourmous difference in the end. You just need to take a look at the votes. It's the general opinion of the voters that count, not yours or mine. This year I'm betting Falcão can make the top 5, at least, if he keeps scoring as he is.

And it would be deserved..

J

jiopi

I'm making the assumption because of posts like these:

There's a reason Spain and Barça are so good, and it's the midfield with Xavi. Not the other way around, as you stated.
It's the general opinion that counts, and that's why Messi has been best player 4 years a row. Falcao has been immense, and his late performances clearly affected the Onze d'Or, and you can see the paper to be somewhat homie with Benzema also, what just gives more power to Messi when he has won it most already.

The reason why Spain is so good, is because they have an edge over other national teams, it's basically Barcelona and Madrid, the core being Barcelona, and they apply pretty much the same tactics. Where as example Argentina is assembled from many teams, and there is no coherent and clear vision on the team. In Barcelona the edge has been Messi.

F

Flavia

And it would be deserved..
I'm not saying it wouldn't. But for a defender to make it, it's either because of a wc, or something else. There is an award for the best goal, there's not one for the best tackle. And that's actually natural, as goals are the most important thing for football.

It's the general opinion that counts, and that's why Messi has been best player 4 years a row. Falcao has been immense, and his late performances clearly affected the Onze d'Or, and you can see the paper to be somewhat homie with Benzema also, what just gives more power to Messi when he has won it most already.

The reason why Spain is so good, is because they have an edge over other national teams, it's basically Barcelona and Madrid, the core being Barcelona, and they apply pretty much the same tactics. Where as example Argentina is assembled from many teams, and there is no coherent and clear vision on the team. In Barcelona the edge has been Messi.
Barça and rm play in very different styles. Xavi usually plays out of position, because of the double pivot. The tatics are not the same. Argentina's problem is another. They could've had a better team by now, if not for the afa and the managers they choose.

Maria

The reason why Spain is so good, is because they have an edge over other national teams, it's basically Barcelona and Madrid, the core being Barcelona, and they apply pretty much the same tactics. In Barcelona the edge has been Messi.

Without Messi we would be having as much trouble as Spain has when it comes to scoring goals(they hold a record in that regard at the WC 2010) and then people wouldn't be saying that goals are not important or that Messi's not our most important player..

Where as example Argentina is assembled from many teams, and there is no coherent and clear vision on the team.

Not only that, but their deffence is shit. And without a deffence you can't win an international tournament.

I'm not saying it wouldn't. But for a defender to make it, it's either because of a wc, or something else. There is an award for the best goal, there's not one for the best tackle. And that's actually natural, as goals are the most important thing for football.

You are right, but there are so few good defenders these days that maybe apart from Pepe, you can't say that one of them deserves to be in the top 10.

Last edited:
J

jiopi

Barça and rm play in very different styles. Xavi usually plays out of position, because of the double pivot. The tatics are not the same. Argentina's problem is another. They could've had a better team by now, if not for the afa and the managers they choose.
Again you are just clutching straws, it's mainly the same style, possession play with the same players, with even more boring you to death football. You can also see how Messi is missing from that team.

J

jiopi

Not only that, but their deffence is shit. And without a deffence you can't win an international tournament.
Correct, it wasn't Messi's fault they lost WC06 for Germany, he wasn't playing. It wasn't his fault that they lost WC10 to Germany, their defense collapsed. It wasn't Messi's fault they lost CA07 final, their defense collapsed. And definitely wasn't Messi's fault that they lost to Uruguay in CA11.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans