10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jiopi

^ Messi was chosen best player in La Liga and UCL in 2008-2009, scoring 38 and asssisting 17, together with the performances he was shoe in for Ballon d'Or. Terrible to dissapoint you but who assisted Iniesta goal against Chelsea, and who scored a header in the final? Messi also ran the show in 09-10 with some unreal goals and performances.

Last edited:
K

kroki223

Iniesta deserved the Ballon d'Or in 2009. Xavi deserved it in 2010. Messi in 2011. Anyone who rewatches some games from those earlier seasons will easily see that Messi wasn't the monster back then that he is now. In the 2009 CL final for example it was Iniesta who totally ran the show (after deciding the semi-final as well). Messi did barely anything of note. Except that header from a pinpoint XAVI cross. But overall: meh. Xavi put his mark in the historic 2-6 Clasico with 4 (FOUR) assists. It was an unreal performance. Or that 2-0 Bernabeu Clasico with 2 assists where he completely ran the show and which ultimately won us La Liga (before that Clasico Real and Barca had the same amount of points). 2009 was probably Iniesta's best ever season while Messi wasn't even the top scorer in Barca. Eto'o had more Liga goals than him back then. And 2010 was Xavi's season. Xavi and Iniesta were untouchable from 2008 - 2011 and it won us 2 CLs and 3 Ligas. Last season both didn't perform as well as they can and we won nothing of note, despite Messi scoring 73 goals and having 29 assists. If Xavi and Iniesta turn it on and Messi plays meh, we still win everything. If Xavi and Iniesta play below their standards and Messi turns it on, we still win nothing. It's that easy. Messi was always the best forward but the best PLAYER in general he started to become around 2010 / 2011. Not in 2009. I remember Iniesta completely taking the piss out of Mourinho's Inter in the group stages and us winning 2-0 WITHOUT Messi on the pitch. Later in the knockout phase the same team battered us 3-1 with Messi but without Iniesta on the pitch. Here's the difference:

I'm sorry to disappoint you Messi fanboys.

At first! Messi deserved all Ballon d'Or Awards. Everybody, who knows something about real football, knows it. Messi wasn't the monster??? Did you watch earlier games??? Iniesta was better than Messi in the final 2009??? Sorry, but it wasn't Messi's fault, that the others (attackers) were last season so bad. Messi was the only person who played well last season. Messi brought Barca on his shoulder. Do you know why Barca disn't win last season???? Because other players couldn't do anything from the advance, what Messi made for them!!!!
Iniesta is general the best?? Messi is the best goalscorer, The best assister. Messi is the best dribbler. Iniesta is just good next to Xavi. He can't score, he can't dribble so well than Messi!
Xavi wasn't better in 2010. Messi was much better. He played well in the wc too.
Messi wasn't just a goalscorer in 2009. Messi had Henry and Eto'o next to him in 2009. messi is the best since 2008. He improved a lot.

Messi was the top scorer in 2009. Messi scored 38 goals annd Eto'o 36.

X

xaviniesta

there should be a messiforum for all the fanboys IMO. or just olne huge SUB forum

X

xaviniesta

awww cmon you guys.. we are all barcelona lovers... and everyone got a favourite player.. so we shouldnt shout at our fans

some guys just said it here before that they only watch messi and don't basicly care about barcelona...it's just unbelivable IMO

Ursegor

World Champion
Btw, can we please close this thread and open a fresh Messi thread? 1514 pages, my browser needs ages to load this thread. All threads should be closed after like 500 pages or something. Might save the server a bit of traffic.

X

xaviniesta

nah, its fun to read the older post at times...

:D

Messi's performance against Benidorm was crap. He was being arrogant all over the pitch, looked like a protest. He's probably unsatisfied about the Argentina deal, but I don't give a shit. If he doesn't stand down he's an asshole. FCB let him play in the Olympics and repaying this way would be idiotic. Forget the friendlies and concentrate on the League.

see. he was already arrogant and yelling at his players back in 2008...some things will never change.

PS! is it just me or there are 1515 1516 1524 pages below that can't be seen??

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
nah, its fun to read the older post at times...

:D

see. he was already arrogant and yelling at his players back in 2008...some things will never change.

LOL Nah, not delete the thread. Just close it so old posts can still be read and open a new one.

PS! is it just me or there are 1515 1516 1524 pages below that can't be seen??

For me too. It's what happens when you let threads get over 1500 pages. Everything gets fucked up. :D

Henry_IB

Banned
Iniesta deserved the Ballon d'Or in 2009. Xavi deserved it in 2010. Messi in 2011. Anyone who rewatches some games from those earlier seasons will easily see that Messi wasn't the monster back then that he is now. In the 2009 CL final for example it was Iniesta who totally ran the show (after deciding the semi-final as well). Messi did barely anything of note. Except that header from a pinpoint XAVI cross. But overall: meh. Xavi put his mark in the historic 2-6 Clasico with 4 (FOUR) assists. It was an unreal performance. Or that 2-0 Bernabeu Clasico with 2 assists where he completely ran the show and which ultimately won us La Liga (before that Clasico Real and Barca had the same amount of points). 2009 was probably Iniesta's best ever season while Messi wasn't even the top scorer in Barca. Eto'o had more Liga goals than him back then. And 2010 was Xavi's season. Xavi and Iniesta were untouchable from 2008 - 2011 and it won us 2 CLs and 3 Ligas. Last season both didn't perform as well as they can and we won nothing of note, despite Messi scoring 73 goals and having 29 assists. If Xavi and Iniesta turn it on and Messi plays meh, we still win everything. If Xavi and Iniesta play below their standards and Messi turns it on, we still win nothing. It's that easy. Messi was always the best forward but the best PLAYER in general he started to become around 2010 / 2011. Not in 2009. I remember Iniesta completely taking the piss out of Mourinho's Inter in the group stages and us winning 2-0 WITHOUT Messi on the pitch. Later in the knockout phase the same team battered us 3-1 with Messi but without Iniesta on the pitch. Here's the difference:

I'm sorry to disappoint you Messi fanboys.

I am not saying Messi was more worthy of ballon'dor than iniesta / xavi in 2009/2010 but it is a joke that you're trying to justify your point based on the performances in 4-5 games and using a child's logic (such as we won vs inter 2-0 with iniesta and no Messi and lost 1-3 with messi but no iniesta).

Your whole post is just a big load of :shit:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Iniesta in 2009, Xavi in 2010 and Messi in 2011? What are you talking about? Messi was not as good as he is now but he was still the best player. He won us crucial away matches even coming as a sub in 2008/09. He was MOM in so many games (Copa Del Rey final he was especially good). In 2010, he was very consistent - won us quite a few games himself and scored a few great goals as well.

That season, I felt Xavi could have won Ballon D'Or simply because of how good he was throughout the year and because he won the World Cup. He hardly made a mistake throughout the tournament. Iniesta was amazing at the World Cup but was injured a lot of the time with Barca. Somebody mentioned Sneijder? Really? It was all about Milito that season. He scored in every knockout round of the Champions League. He scored 2 in the final as well. He scored the winning goal in extra time to win Coppa Italia final(great goal). He scored the winner on the last day of the league when Inter needed a win to clinch Serie A. He even won UEFA Best Player in Europe that year.

It's not just about goals. Everyone throughout the world now respect Xavi and Iniesta a lot. And even if it IS about the goals (and you think that it is), then why bother to argue?

Edit: And regarding the Inter matches, you really want to compare a group stage match (in which we didnt have Ibra either) to a knockout match? Do you think Inter played the same way in both the games? Please, every game is different. I can easily say - we have beaten Real Madrid for the past 4 years in every game in which Iniesta has not played. But that wouldnt be particularly useful

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
Messi was not as good as he is now but he was still the best player.

To make it short. No, he wasn't. Iniesta had arguably his best ever season so far in his career in 2009 while Messi was just another forward in our highly prolific attacking trident, scoring just 23 goals in La Liga. If Iniesta had a season like that again now in 2012 / 2013 and Messi would only score 23 goals in La Liga, Iniesta would easily get the Ballon d'Or ahead of him. The only reason Messi won it in 2009 ahead of Iniesta is because Xavi and Iniesta weren't as recognised names back then. See the Dailymail headline about Xavi. It was all about goalscorers: Kaka, Ronaldo, Torres, Messi. Hell, I even remember Torres getting all the praise in the media back in 2008 for Spain's Euro success. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans