10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raedkuwait

:worthy: well said
Because they need to find even the slightest thing that isn't perfect about Barca and amplify it so that them not liking Barca made sense to them.
Or better said; attempt to make their jealousy for Barca football sound reasonable.
I've seen Terry, Lampard, Rooney and whonot dive. Everyone does it sometimes. Ones who are making it sound as if only Barca players do it are usually biased Premiership fans. You know the sort: "Messi is not the best before he scores vs. EPL teams" or "Xavi needs to prove himself in mighty EPL".. etc.

Unfortunately, English press are doing a good job in maintaining that biased view on football and I can't really blame the young eneration as they know nothing better than they are being served these days.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Well said by Bojan.

It's clear that Carvalho threw his arm in Messi's face. He connected with his tricep area (quite a fleshy part), which is why Leo deliberately collapsed to the floor (an elbow connection would have knocked him down). It didn't really hurt him, but given the circumstances he wanted to make the most of it. I think he could have just held his face personally, falling over showed him in a bad light. Those of us who watch him every week know his character, he is no CR.

I think there were periods in the first half and early in the second where he got caught up in the Messi v CR who will score more goals hype, rather than playing his normal game. That moment early in the 2nd half where he should have played across to Villa but chose to shoot was unlike him. After that he seemed to play his normal game, and was sensational, two great assists and totally dominated his area.

iced1776

Even before the arm-to-face, which at first I thought was accidental, how the hell is standing over a player you've just tackled and taunting him not grounds for a yellow?

J

Jordzibob

It doesnt even suprise me. I said it before the game when nobody was picking up on it, he has always been like this and always gets away with it, he's one of the scummiest defenders around. He'd stopped a little bit since Mourinho left Chelsea, but well...yeh. Predictable that now the two are back together he's back to his old disgusting ways. Has been one of my most hated players since 2004-2005.

nebeer

Love is All
Well said by Bojan.

It's clear that Carvalho threw his arm in Messi's face. He connected with his tricep area (quite a fleshy part), which is why Leo deliberately collapsed to the floor (an elbow connection would have knocked him down). It didn't really hurt him, but given the circumstances he wanted to make the most of it. I think he could have just held his face personally, falling over showed him in a bad light. Those of us who watch him every week know his character, he is no CR.

I think there were periods in the first half and early in the second where he got caught up in the Messi v CR who will score more goals hype, rather than playing his normal game. That moment early in the 2nd half where he should have played across to Villa but chose to shoot was unlike him. After that he seemed to play his normal game, and was sensational, two great assists and totally dominated his area.

Good post Cal. We all know that Messi is most probably the most honest footballer on earth. Even when he genuinely gets fouled bad enough to get penalties, he stays on his feet or drags himself up and goes on with his game. Getting elbowed in your face is something like getting punched in your face, its a direct physical attack on you by the opponent. So he had to react somehow to that incident. Carvalho clearly got away with that and Messi instead was carded.

I also thought that Messi probably got a little affected by the Messi vs Ronaldo pichichi hype, though only for a brief period. He shook off that hype anxiety pretty quickly and simply started being his usual self again, which is angelic and why we love him so much.

J

Jordzibob

Exactly like I point I made with Busquets, It doesnt even matter if you think he dived, Motta put his hand in Busquets face, that's a yellow card. That.is.the.rules.of.football.

Carvalho's was considerably worse, he's a dirty scumbag and Madrid should of been down to 8 by the end of the game.

nebeer

Love is All
Just saw Messi's chip that hit the woodwork again. My goodness!! 3 defenders were guarding him with their full attention, then there was Iker at goal. He just lofted the ball and barely even had a good look at the post. This guy is the Neo of football, and the pitch is the Matrix.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
About his "dive":

[youtube]B78vLMLr5qE[/youtube]

Replay at 0.55 shows contact, Messi milks it but not so much a blatant dive. 0.32 shows you Carvalho's doubting face, he knew he was in trouble there. Both a yellow would have been better to settle it, like he did with Valdes and Ronaldo.

Anyway, it was going on like this in the last 5 minutes of the first half. It started with Messi pressing Carvalho when on the ball and bumping into him. A minute later or so Messi nicks the ball off Ramos and counters, Pepe prevents the counter brilliantly and Carvalho bumps 'incidentally' into him.

15ofb12.jpg

And then the good tackle from Carvalho, Messi falls (nothing else to do as he really got tackled), Carvalho gets nuts at Messi and the rest you can see.

Special K doesn't so much as hit the nail on the head, here, but pound it into the wood.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Sensational, just sensational...

No matter how much we sugarcoat it though, it was very dissapointing to see him throw himself to the ground like he did.

But my god, he is breathtaking.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Well said by Bojan.

Solid take...I even caught Leo a bit miffed on occasions where the ball failed to reach him in scoring position - I too think he was a bit caught up with the hype of scoring vs CR

Pepe Silvia

Messi owned Cristiano more this time around and he didn't even score. His brilliance off the ball, passing and team play laid a smack down on him worthy of biblical proportions.

C

Carefree

Ridiculous, what the fuck was Riccy doing mouthing off Messi in the first place? Can't raise your arms like that either. Wasn't an elbow, more his shoulder that floored Messi, though the camera's in slow motion made it look as if Messi was play-acting.

Real players have a knack for vicious fouls against him anyway, never seen someone get targeted so much like Messi did in the 2008/09 season aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans