10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
He has Spanish nationality since he has lived in Barcelona for quite some time now.

I know but it still doesn't make him Catalan, let alone Spanish.

sure but he could play for spanish NT, kind of different than being spanish. then at the same time it's kind of a bad idea it will make haters take a jump at messi on how he can't do it without xaviniesta :(

At least Camoranesi's ancestry is Italian.

ok off-topic: was Marcos Senna born in Brazil?

Barcafan 2304

Well, no one can blame him for this. If your proud to play for the country of your birth, so be it and that is the way it is supposed to be.

DB10

The shadow of Maradona & 86 looms large over Messi, huge pressure to deliver the World Cup. Maybe it needs an outsider a foreign manager to get the best out of Messi and this hugely talented Argentinian team.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom

No, and Marcos Senna was probably never going to be called up by Brazil. Even then it didn't take Spain very long to abandon him when he started to decline, as there was little mutual loyalty.

Well, no one can blame him for this. If your proud to play for the country of your birth, so be it and that is the way it is supposed to be.

Messi wasn't just born in Argentina, he spent more than half his life living in Argentina and still goes back every chance he can get. He speaks with an Argentine accent, prefers Argentine music, is closest to other Argentines.

Messi was never going to play for Spain, the only people who ever say that he would have are the haters in the Argentine media who prefer to hype up "man of the people" Tevez because he's more marketable to poor people, or those who just want to spark controversy for the sake of it, and Barcelona fans who want to believe their fantasy that all players for the club are locals.

The shadow of Maradona & 86 looms large over Messi, huge pressure to deliver the World Cup. Maybe it needs an outsider a foreign manager to get the best out of Messi and this hugely talented Argentinian team.

Why do Europeans always think the biggest problem with this team is that it isn't European enough? Grondona isn't inept because he's Argentine, he's inept because he's corrupt.

Last edited:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
sure but he could play for spanish NT, kind of different than being spanish. then at the same time it's kind of a bad idea it will make haters take a jump at messi on how he can't do it without xaviniesta :(

You are not doing your country a favor when you play for them. And you don't get it any easier because you had the chance to go play somewhere else. It is his country, his duty.

You are telling me he couldn't score a single fucking goal in a World Cup and a Copa America the same way he does for Barcelona with his wicked shot??? Fine, he can't run through tight defenses, but he has run across the box and shot in the other corner and scored, time and time again. Why didn't he do that for Argentina? I am sorry for the kid, he really tried, he really put in a lot of effort, just nothing was inspiring. He is only 24, so I am not too worried but there is a reason why Lionel is targeted in Argentina by his own fans.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
You are not doing your country a favor when you play for them. And you don't get it any easier because you had the chance to go play somewhere else. It is his country, his duty.

You are telling me he couldn't score a single fucking goal in a World Cup and a Copa America the same way he does for Barcelona with his wicked shot??? Fine, he can't run through tight defenses, but he has run across the box and shot in the other corner and scored, time and time again. Why didn't he do that for Argentina? I am sorry for the kid, he really tried, he really put in a lot of effort, just nothing was inspiring. He is only 24, so I am not too worried but there is a reason why Lionel is targeted in Argentina by his own fans.

First of all, he's targetting by his own fans for plenty of unfair reasons. Tevez, despite being by far Argentina's worst non-CB during the tournament, hasn't gotten nearly the same hate Messi has, because his image is that of a rags to riches man of the people doing his best, while Messi has been shielded by the most self-righteous club in the world and looks like a nerd. Don't underestimate the power of image, it's how a guy who has done fuck all with his career like Cesc is being fought over like a supermodel.

That being said a lot of people need to stop making excuses for Messi. He's still human, and the fact remains that he has not proven anything in his career without playing side by side with Xavi Hernandez, the best midfielder of this generation and the most important Spanish national team player of in history. Football is a team game, and Messi cannot be blamed for playing for terrible coaches, useless defenders, and brain-dead forwards, but it does mean something that Messi has only scored more than 3 goals internationally one year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans