10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepe Silvia

Messi isnt comfortable running the show. What ever term you want to associate with that that is fine, as long as it is not "Engine" because Messi is not and SHOULD not be the Engine of Argentina. Captain? Fine. Superstar? Of course. But "Engine"? Save that one for the Riquelme/Brujo type ballers. Messi is the main playmaker and "Interim-Engine" for Argentina but he shouldn't be handling all of those roles simultaneously imo.

jayzsa

Messi isnt comfortable running the show. What ever term you want to associate with that that is fine, as long as it is not "Engine" because Messi is not and SHOULD not be the Engine of Argentina. Captain? Fine. Superstar? Of course. But "Engine"? Save that one for the Riquelme/Brujo type ballers. Messi is the main playmaker and "Interim-Engine" for Argentina but he shouldn't be handling all of those roles simultaneously imo.

Interim Engine is a good word, he should be the turbo charger of the engine, he is being wasted being the main engine, but still even when he has to do all the driving on his own, he is the best player in the world

MagIX

@zanela: I totally agree with you

Not everyone. But the majority do accept him as a playmaker. (cause he's one)

www.iffhs.de

IFFHS: best world playmaker in the last years:

2007 1. Kaka 2. Pirlo 3. Messi
2008 1. Xavi 2. CR 3. Messi
2009 1.Xavi 2. Messi 3. Kaka
2010 1. Xavi 2. Iniesta 3. Schneijder 4. Messi
2011 1. Xavi 2. Messi 3. Iniesta

We are more than one who think that Messi is a fantastic playmaker......

Last edited:
In Barca each player is "better" because of their team mates ,a cliché but oh so true. In ARG the other players don't want to work or run for each other. They are not synced with Messi's play. Imagine having Xavi in ARG team, do you think it will fix their problems? Xavis play is based on possession and interacting with his moving team mates and determining the rhythm of play but most players in ARG cant play the possession game and also play more vertical, taking more risks, dribbling etc instead of running/combining/passing. They are a collection of superstars (and some mediocre players). That's it

Manuel Traquete

except he is... thats why he is so great. For me Xavi+Iniesta+Villa+dribbling = Messi

I never thought this would be possible, but you've just overrated Messi.

He's the best player of this generation, but let's not get too carried away.

And + dribbling? Iniesta's dribbling is every bit as good as Messi's, arguably better in tight areas.

That said, Messi is indeed the greatest because he combines the qualities of all the other top players in the world: he's as good a goalscorer (if not better) as Ronaldo, he's as good a passer and a dribbler than Iniesta, Xavi-like vision. I don't think there's any offensive attribute where Messi isn't world class, one of the very best.

Last edited:

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members

And + dribbling? Iniesta's dribbling is every bit as good as Messi's, arguably better in tight areas.

Iniesta could never score the goal Leo scored against Getafe or Madrid, so no, Iniesta's dribbling is nowhere near as good (apart from tight spaces as you said)

jayzsa

I don't think so, iniesta lacks the directness an leg speed of messi , I have never seen iniesta doing something like this consistently

Trillske

One of the worst sources of reference I´ve seen. :icon_confused:

Doesnt mather though, of course Messi is a world class playmaker. What he does at Barca is world class in every aspect except defending, only thing haunting him is that he hasnt really showed it elsewhere, other than that theres just nothing out there to argue about.

____

As for Iniesta he might just be the most talanted fotballer ever, who knows - it sometimes looks that way. But while he is great in practice as well, he doesnt show that on the field. He is just great. His actual performance is not close to Messis. Most entertaining player in the team though.

Last edited:

Manuel Traquete

Iniesta could never score the goal Leo scored against Getafe or Madrid, so no, Iniesta's dribbling is nowhere near as good (apart from tight spaces as you said)

That's because Messi is a lot faster not because he's a better dribbler. What makes Iniesta imo the best dribbler in the world is that he doesn't rely on pace to beat defenders, it's just pure dribbling skills.

I don't think so, iniesta lacks the directness an leg speed of messi , I have never seen iniesta doing something like this consistently

As I said, Messi has a lot more pace. Iniesta is somewhat slow, which makes the way he beats defenders even more impressive. He relies solely on dribbling technique.

Last edited:

That said, Messi is indeed the greatest because he combines the qualities of all the other top players in the world: he's as good a goalscorer (if not better) as Ronaldo, he's as good a passer and a dribbler than Iniesta, Xavi-like vision. I don't think there's any offensive attribute where Messi isn't world class, one of the very best.

o m g . Messi, seen in todays world mostly for his insane dribbling skills, ..... and you ...
Iniesta is a gem yet a light version of Messi and his dribbling is less frequent. He offers us occasionaly the real treat going passed a player but often only one, more to create an opening. Messi just crashes defenders one after another. Iniesta is second best in the world imo.

That's because Messi is a lot faster not because he's a better dribbler. What makes Iniesta imo the best dribbler in the world is that he doesn't rely on pace to beat defenders, it's just pure dribbling skills.
Pace... try even closer ball control at high speed (touch at every small step), better acceleration and the best of all as Wenger said it beautifully: he is the only player who can change direction at such a pace. That is the secret of Messi's genius.

Last edited:

jayzsa

As I said, Messi has a lot more pace. Iniesta is somewhat slow, which makes the way he beats defenders even more impressive. He relies solely on dribbling technique.

If dribbling at pace doesn't add to overall dribbling skill then by that logic Luis Figo was the best dribbler of all time, he managed to pass players with no pace at all :)

And Iniesta isn't really as slow as you think,

gingerless

depends how you define dribbling... iniesta is definitely a more elegant dribbler than messi, who has such close control on the ball and can run at top speed without losing any control over it (this makes him the best 'dribbler' for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans