10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerless

meh. he's pretty tired by the looks of it. what always annoys me is how alves looks for him for a pass, as if messi is the ONLY option EVER available to him

barcaboy15

meh. he's pretty tired by the looks of it. what always annoys me is how alves looks for him for a pass, as if messi is the ONLY option EVER available to him

Yeah, that's exactly true. Always noticed it myself as well.

Alves occasionally crosses into an empty box but 99% of the time passes to Messi.

Yaotzin

Passing to Messi is the right choice in at least 95% of cases.

Anyway we didn't have our usual right winger, so his passing choices were limited unless he went backwards.

How many goals has he scored away from home this season?
Hattrick last game?

ricknattery

Messi is trying too hard, looking for the impossible assist or the beautiful goal. He should have noticed by now, that this season we are not as dominant as before(Xavi playing below his level and Iniesta injured half of the time) and just bury the chances he gets, we don't get as many chances as we used to

Interista

Only 3-4 I think, all against Malaga basically. But I guess you already knew the answer?

If I knew I wouldn't ask. ;) I knew it wasn't so many, but not that they came basically in one match. What does it depend on? I don't think he had this problem in previous seasons..

You need to fix it if you want to catch Madrid. It's not over yet, but that needs to be dealt with pronto. Either he has to step up, or the rest of the forwards because obviously that's where you're losing points.

LeoGotSkillz

I think Leo missed the opportunities to score today, the first one was awful. Anyhow he is the ONLY player to provide some constant thread upfront(no matter what game). Cesc is fading, Alexis has been good but obviously is not a strict scoring threat. My point is, atm we are too easy to defend unless we are ahead.

barcaboy15

If I knew I wouldn't ask. ;) I knew it wasn't so many, but not that they came basically in one match. What does it depend on? I don't think he had this problem in previous seasons..

You need to fix it if you want to catch Madrid. It's not over yet, but that needs to be dealt with pronto. Either he has to step up, or the rest of the forwards because obviously that's where you're losing points.

That's 100% true what you said.

We've complately f'ed up away this year and Messi is scoring non-stop at home but not at all away. So, it's either the whole team is playing badly and therefore so is Messi, or that Messi is playing badly and therefore the whole team is. I hope it's the former, I mean we're obviously reliant on him (more so this year, especially for goals) but that's to be expected I guess.

Yaotzin

It's not great, but that could just be statistical quirks. Sometimes you'll do unusually well/badly at home or away. Our home form is unusually good - only 2 dropped points.

Looking at the away fixtures we've dropped points in:
Sociedad 2-2
Valencia 2-2
Bilbao 2-2
Getafe 1-0
Espanyol 1-1
Villareal 0-0

For me, 4 of those games are decent draws, they're tough fixtures. The Getafe game and blowing the lead against Socieded is obviously really shit though. Still, that's only 2 real screwups.

I think perceptions are warped by how Madrid are on course for a comical amount of points. Our performances haven't actually been that bad, they just haven't been as close to perfect as is required to stop Madrid. Perfection is really goddamn hard to achieve, even with such a good team.

Last edited:

barcaboy15

It's not great, but that could just be statistical quirks. Sometimes you'll do unusually well/badly at home or away. Looking at the away fixtures we've dropped points in:
Sociedad 2-2
Valencia 2-2
Bilbao 2-2
Getafe 1-0
Espanyol 1-1
Villareal 0-0

For me, 4 of those games are decent draws, they're tough fixtures. The Getafe game and blowing the lead against Socieded is obviously really shit though. Still, that's only 2 real screwups.

I think perceptions are warped by how Madrid are on course for a comical amount of points. Our performances haven't actually been that bad, they just haven't been as close to perfect as is required to stop Madrid. Perfection is really goddamn hard to achieve, even with such a good team.

I don't agree. I think we've been exceptionally bad away this year, at this stage we've already dropped more points away than we did ALL of last season.

Yaotzin

I'm not saying we're not worse, of course we are. I'm trying to point out that our lost points have mostly been reasonably understandable. We set incredible standards last year - 96 points!, and frankly, we were always going downhill from there. We're on course for ~86 points, which is still very, very good. A better second half and we'll be over 90, which is frankly outstanding. If it isn't enough to beat Madrid, that's a credit to them, not something to bash our team with.

Bionicman

Don't forget that two of the wins on the road were 1-0 wins against poor teams (Gijon, Granada). There have only been two road performances where we convincingly won.

Yaotzin

IMO our issues in games like that was cutting edge though. It's not like we didn't dominate the games possession wise. And cutting edge comes down to Iniesta being a sicknote, Xavi IMO in decline, and our wingers being...the less said the better, usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans