10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast

The Observer
milito hasn't proven it on the international stage.tevez is average. maybe slightly above. he's certainly not top-class.

the only top-class players messi has as team-mates are cambiasso, gabi milito and aguero (and cambo n' gabi are injured all the time - zanetti is top-class too but has a runner-up mentality with the national team). pastore and de federico may soon join him, though.

and maradona was backed up by brown, ruggeri, batista, valdano and burruchaga. they're all great players, certainly the equal of any of the schmucks messi currently has as team-mates (apart from aguero).

and at napoli I suppose he won things at napoli without giordano, careca, ferrara and de napoli, right?

don't get me wrong, he was always the leading light in his teams, but his individual brilliance makes people forget that he was surrounded by some seriously good players.

look at messi at the olympics, with a solid coherent team around him, he led argentina to victory. that's what he needs at senior level (bring on batista as coach!)

yeah except threaten the brazilian back-line on numerous occasions (he wasn't supported nearly as well as kaka was) not to mention put it on a plate for diego milito only for him to completely bottle the chance.

and really kaka's "perfect pass" - which is the main reason he got the rating - was massively deflected into fabiano's path.

you've turned into even more of a kaka fanboy since he signed for you. he had a poor game, beast. some slack defending allowed two of the chances he "made" to become goals. faced with similar defending, messi could have created goals too. in terms of overall play he was much better.but we shouldn't be surprised as goal.com is staffed by schmucks.

Ironic very ironic.. especially when i read your ^^^^ post
I wonder if your post to me is actually a mirror reflection to what you just posted
As if Valdano & Burruchage where the light of the world before the WC ..
or how amazing Brown and co were @ the back

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
I really just want Argentina to qualify, because if they don't I don't want it affecting Messi. And I feel that it would if they didn't, and we got a long season ahead.

Nirre_99

Argentina needs to get their team organised, if they don't I think they will have problems getting to South Africa.

They do have alot of talent on the field that can win games for them by themselves, but they don't seem to play like a team sofar in the few occassions I seen them this qualifier session.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Ironic very ironic.. especially when i read your ^^^^ post
I wonder if your post to me is actually a mirror reflection to what you just posted
As if Valdano & Burruchage where the light of the world before the WC ..
or how amazing Brown and co were @ the back

no they weren't the light of the world but beast who is messi playing alongside that is the light of the world? honestly? people around his age are generally a group of failures to deliver on immense youth potential (gago, collocinni and tevez are the biggest culprits) and the two generations (or one long one if you want) of players above him all have no idea how to win things at a national level. aguero is the only other exceptional player in this team (you can make a case for cambo but... see below)

maradona's team had at least been filtered through a world cup winning team (of '78, with '82 being the transitional tournament) so they had ideas of how to win. and then added to that maradona was made the focus of the team, and thus felt compelled to lead them to a win.

messi and his generation have really had no brushes with anyone who knows how to win at an international level (batigol and simeone were the last of the '93 copa side to be around and they retired in 2002) and only cambo of the current crop as well as zanetti, veron, riquelme and crespo have played alongside them - and they all endured years of failure to negate that (so perfectly crystallised in riquelme who will dominate the entirety of a tournament only to fall limp in the final).

and as if to compound the average players (esp. in defence and goal) and loser mentality, the management is a joke as well! messi is constantly not being made the focus on the team, too much is being expected of mascherano as a lone DM and too much time is being given to a workmanlike tevez rather than a genuinely exceptional (the only other top-class player) aguero.

if the management was right (as it was in '86, getting the best out of what they had and utilising maradona to the best possible level) then the average nature of the squad wouldn't even be that bad. but the management is so so wrong.

pekerman's argentina may have been bottlers but at least they had a style, an identity. all they needed to do was add a dash of messi (who hasn't been poisoned by their loser mentality) and tevez (who was still a promising kid then) and they could have achieved things. but pekerhead criminally underused messi and got dumped out of the world cup as a result. and since then they've struggled to recapture that form.

they can't decide on a manager, which is the first problem. they need to appoint a coach and stick with it (I suggest batista) and then they need to move on from the older players who just don't know how to win with argentina. finally they need to build a solid base. the defence needs to be capable and organised, there should be a double pivot, one of whom should be able to pass. and then in-front of them, you have attacking players. messi and aguero should be the focus. lisandro should be in there. pastore and de federico should be brought through.

it's really not a difficult task, they just seem determined to make a mess of it.

I just feel sorry for messi.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
He is almost 70 now Adam, the idea was Maradona be the motivational -god-like-Guru while those around him with experience conduct the training and add the tactical aspect .
I guess you can never take the god syndrome out of the likes of Pele,Maradona,Cruyff & Romario ..it all went down the hill with Maradona wanting to play an actual god and have his input on the tactical side.
Yep, its really questionable if Maradona does the apparently "right" thing and just lets Bilardo be in full charge of tactical orders. Instead i would also expect him to add some of his own ideas, that might easily fuck up the whole game plan. If you conduct a system that works smoothly but just alter one small piece of it, the whole system can fall apart. Thats true with sth like machinery as well as with a football team.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
At this point Argentina is still directly qualified for the WC.

Don't care about Ronaldo. It would be even funnier if it would be Sweden that went through from that group. :lol:

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
It wouldn't be the same but it'd be better for our nations, probably. Not that I'm too worried by Argentina while Maradona is in charge.

hdcantona

It wouldn't be the same but it'd be better for our nations, probably. Not that I'm too worried by Argentina while Maradona is in charge.

Maradonna is a terrible manager, Queiroz is terrible too, top Assistant Manager, but lame Manager.

If Argentina keep going, they won't qualify, which would be bad for the world's best players, as a lack of international success can be a downer on top players, look at George Best for example.

Fair enough about you not caring about Ronaldo, it's just weird that the world's 2 best players won't be in the world's best competition!

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
We'll see, if Argentina continues then they will qualify since they have 2 point advantage at the fifth so they gained more points.

Portugal on the other hand is a disaster. If they lose wednesday, they're out. All out, not even a decider.

hdcantona

We'll see, if Argentina continues then they will qualify since they have 2 point advantage at the fifth so they gained more points.

Portugal on the other hand is a disaster. If they lose wednesday, they're out. All out, not even a decider.

yeah, but they're only going to get worse, I think they may not qualify...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans