10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaR

This was further, but against Madrid was only about 30 yards. You can see it from the grass bands which are 6 yards wide.

di-601Z.gif

Yeh you're right, Madrid one is probably close to about 30-32 yards, If you take into consideration the wall is just inside the 22 yard penalty area arc and the wall about 10 yards back.

CatalinR10

So...considering the fact that he already has 2 goals from freekick and it's a long season, does anybody know what's the record for most goals scored from freekicks in a season ? :lol:

messifan99

What i've noticed is that as well as his free kicks being more accurate than last season he also seems to be able to get much more power into them whereas last season i'd expect a 30m freekick from Messi to be caught by the keeper or saved this season they can't get close to them. Anyone know if he's being working on his long range shooting/ free kick taking? In theory he should get better and better at free kicks with age practice makes perfect right.

AzaR

27m (at 2:00 min)

I really don't get that, the semi circle arc where the wall is standing is 22 yards, so if the wall is 10 yards back It would be 32 yards, but accoring to that vid It's only 29 yards (27m)

Also looking at 11 secs into vid it looks much further than 29 yards, may just be me being an idiot, dunno.

Last edited:

MMKa

The wall is not at arc of the segment but about halfway. So 18 + 4/2 + 10 yards = ~ 30 yards = 27...28 m.

BarcaGirl

34e2lvt.jpg

Messi continues to nail free kicks

Messi: “And if I become the best in the world at free kicks …I know of one who will be depressed.”
CR7: “What an injustice!”

:lol:

DennyCrane

It's a bit contradictory. The author says:
1st opinion, goals. Messi has more goals because Cronaldo is winger and his main duty is to pass and assist goals not make them. You cannot compare.
2nd opinion, assists. Messi has more assists because he passes more. You cannot compare.

Cronaldo is not doing what he should or what? There is also miscalculation due to partial or wrong data. Messi's goal per game ratio across 2 seasons was atm 1.16 not 0.88 and Cronaldo's 1.06 not 0.90.

The author is right though when he says goals are not sufficient factor. Still, author compares goals and assists separately. If you add assists, you can compare contribution to game better, to put it simply: you can compare wingers and other forwards. Messi and Cronaldo.

3rd opinion about team reliance is not very interesting but 4th about attitude is nonsense. He whines about people not liking arrogant sore loser and preferring modest and humble player. I have not heard anybody saying Messi is better player because he is humble. Then again 5th opinion, silverware, I agree. Individuals do not win trophies, that's what teams do.

Agreed, article is imprecise. The conclusion drawn is right though. And thats's what matters.

It's absurd to compare players in different environments, different positions, different circumstances. The whole idea that stats are a benchmark is a phantasmagoria, a pseudoscientific approach to fake subjective impressions into not looking random. Its like comparing painters by the numbers of brush marks they use per drawing.

Also, LinkQ asked for arguments to deal with his friends who seemingly like to talk childish crap from time to time. So I provided him with the argument that the whole comparison thing is pointless. That should end debates like that rather swift.

King Leo

Banned
Amazing Goal, just love how the Cordoba crowds reacted! :worthy:

He confirmed later to the press that he's been practicing his free-kicks lately. Defenders now have to be even more careful when taking Messi down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans