10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

89Norcal

It truly baffles me that there are people out there(not on this forum obviously) who still argue that Ronaldo is better or even close to Messi. Ronaldo is a phenomenal player with quality finishing, a thunderous shot, very good heading ability, and fantastic pace. However, he is still 2nd to Messi and by a large distance. Messi's passing is on par with or very very near Xavi/Iniesta while his dribbling is unmatched by anyone else. Add to that the fact that he is an amazing scorer and nobody comes even close. I'm not sure if Ronaldo's drop in form comes from teams ceding possession to Madrid and nullifying their counter attack or if it's just something mental. What is clear, though, is that Messi is leaving him in the dust and is still getting better.

One reason is the press that constantly group them together. Another is the fanatical fanboy base of Ronaldo and now Real Madrid. One of my roommates likes to go on the Y! answers football section. The amount of ignorance from the Real Madrid fans there is astonishing, and it represents their perspective on Barca and Messi across the entire internet like blogs, sports websites. Bunch of computer chair football analysts trying to say Messi needs Xavi/Iniesta/Fabregas etc...

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
tumblr_mfg4rhLDwH1rl4v2eo1_500.jpg

MMKa

I shouldn't have to. The statistics are overwhelming. You're a fool if you think Ronaldo is close to Messi.

Was.
2010-11: Messi 53 goals in 55 matches, Cronaldo 53 in 54.

Assists also:
Messi 53+28, Cronaldo 53+18.
Or, with national matches, 57+34 = 91 and 59+21 = 80.

Wasn't.

Paganinisrvnge

Was.
2010-11: Messi 53 goals in 55 matches, Cronaldo 53 in 54.

Assists also:
Messi 53+28, Cronaldo 53+18.
Or, with national matches, 57+34 = 91 and 59+21 = 80.

Wasn't.

That was 2 years ago and statistics only tell part of the story. Messi has been a better overall player since 2008-2009 but Ronaldo was about even in terms of goalscoring. Now Messi is on a completely different level.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
What's this constant wank-fest over his stats?

Yes, we know he's in form of his life. Yes, we know he has broken a record and made it his own. And yes, we know he's better than Ronaldo.

Now, no need to it overdo it on every single page.

MMKa

Yes, we know he's in form of his life. Yes, we know he has broken a record and made it his own. And yes, we know he's better than Ronaldo.

You just didn't read the whole discussion, starting with "Over the past 3-4 years Ronaldo is the only forward who has gotten anywhere near Messi's level ( at times he surpassed Messi )". On page change "was" changed to "is" from the original comment.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
You just didn't read the whole discussion, starting with "Over the past 3-4 years Ronaldo is the only forward who has gotten anywhere near Messi's level ( at times he surpassed Messi )". On page change "was" changed to "is" from the original comment.

I actually did, but that statement is such an over-exaggeration which is being brought up simply for the reason that stats seem to be the last straw Cristiano Ronaldo fanboys bring to the table.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

Cmon Phil no need for the cynicism. People have the right to add to the forum in any positive way they feel and shouldn't feel like they will get harassed by doing so.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Maybe I am a bit cynical, but that does not take away the fact that nearly every 4-5 pages the discussion turns to stats, which in turn produces another 4-5 pages of discussing the exactly the same issues presented earlier.

Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

Pepe Silvia

Maybe I am a bit cynical, but that does not take away the fact that nearly every 4-5 pages the discussion turns to stats, which in turn produces another 4-5 pages of discussing the exactly the same issues presented earlier.

Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.
Well Messi has had an unprecedented season, so the statistic minded posters tend to veer towards numbers and number-crunching, you understand. Not everyone is going to be as relaxed about it as you. They aren't breaking any rules and are actually adding value when updating numbers/stats so again, I'm just asking to lay off the cynicism.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
No, I agree.

The statistics this year have been off the scale for Messi, and they should be discussed - but not to the point of making the discussion seem repetitive on the matter itself. I guess I just see this differently, nothing to it.

Last edited:

Me55i D105

Well I for one love stats, because they somehow quantify the sheer brilliance which is Messi. Some people can't comprehend how dominant this little guy is and stats are a way of showing it, and as they need to be updated on a week to week basis I see no wrong in posting stats regularly.

J

jiopi

Here are some fresher statistics:

MoM's - Overall Ratings in La Liga (whoscored.com based over 200 OPTA statistics)

09-10
Messi 14 - 8.53
Cronaldo 11 - 8.26

Player of the season: Messi

10-11
Messi 23 - 8.84
Cronaldo 13 - 8.35

11-12
Messi 24 - 8.91
Cronaldo 15 - 8.35

12-13
Messi 11 - 9.01
Cronaldo 4 - 7.85

The difference has crown bigger every season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans