10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalan Fan

It's no secret that Messi's speed has declined over the years, but his play making skills have improved to the point where he is one of the best in the world at getting people through. I don't get why nobody is helping him out though, it's as if they are expecting him to do it all on his own so you can't really blame him.

How has his speed declined over the yrs ? He's only 25 ffs lol.

Last season Messi finished with 33 straight assists (Barca: 29, Arg: 4).
The most in europe ahead of Ozil (29).

Plus, he added 82 goals!

Knowing him, he'll beat that goals record this season. Doesn't he have 49 goals for Barca? He should be able to beat his record of 73 club goals in a season.
He probably won't beat last year's assists record though.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Messi for Argentina has been more exciting to watch this past twelve months.

Not taking anything away from his Barcelona performances as they have been unreal and record breaking but for pure all round games of his dribbling, goals and assists he has been more exciting to watch for Argentina.

Sabella tries to win the ball early and hit teams with pace and movement not scared to push men forward in and around Messi. He certainly hasnt looked like he has lost any of his pace playing for Argentina where the other players help create space and confusion in the opposition defence.

Kerrybai

Messi for Argentina has been more exciting to watch this past twelve months.

Not taking anything away from his Barcelona performances as they have been unreal and record breaking but for pure all round games of his dribbling, goals and assists he has been more exciting to watch for Argentina.

Sabella tries to win the ball early and hit teams with pace and movement not scared to push men forward in and around Messi. He certainly hasnt looked like he has lost any of his pace playing for Argentina where the other players help create space and confusion in the opposition defence.

Yep exactly. Anyone who doubts Messi needs to watch Argentina. In fact they have 2 WQC's next month which could highlight the current contrast between Messi with Barca and Messi with Argentina.

F

Flavia

Funny how this changed. Not so long ago he was criticized for not performing for Argentina...

Funny how this changed. Not so long ago he was criticized for not performing for Argentina...

It's not like he's not performing for Barca. Dude already has 49 goals (and I believe 13 assists) for Barca this season. He was better in the first half of the season, but IMO, he's just going through a dip in form (and he's still scoring consistently).

In big games (especially ones against bus-parking teams or teams that mark Messi with 4+ defenders), what we need (IMO) is someone who can score besides Messi.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

It has nothing to do with him not performing with Barcelona it is about the glimpses of Messi's genius dribbling, passing, scoring which are more frequent for Argentina than Barcelona these past twelve months.

He still has all that in him massively but has not being shown it to the same extent for Barcelona this season, despite all the consistency.

F

Flavia

I'm not saying he stopped performing for Barça, just pointing out the criticism he's getting lately. Unfair to me, too.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
There is no deadlier Messi than the one running at the defenders full speed with several attacking options to utilize. Nowadays there is no goalthreat like Henry/Eto'o drawing away defenders and making deadly attacking runs.

F

Flavia

He posted this today, on his chinese twitter:
"No estamos acostumbrados a vivir esta situación pero tengo mucha confianza en que este grupo va a salir adelante"
Translation: We're not used to live this situation, but I have much confidence this group will come through.

Pepe Silvia

There is no deadlier Messi than the one running at the defenders full speed with several attacking options to utilize. Nowadays there is no goalthreat like Henry/Eto'o drawing away defenders and making deadly attacking runs.
precisely this. now we have a hopeless alexis and pedro doing absolutely nothing in terms of providing goal scoring threat and a staff who have alienated their second top scorer and reduced him to bench minutes. truth is, our attack is in shambles and our staff are really desperate for answers when the solutions seem to be clear as day. at least on paper that is. what to make of this? against la liga teams i don't see us struggling for much longer (perhaps another week or two at most) but in champions we've put ourselves in quite the situation. we are extremely vulnerable and look likely to exit at round of 16. its a matter of finding a way to goal that is not through the middle against aggressive defenses and parked buses. that much is a certainty, but to the staff they stubbornly stick to a recipe that has been found-out. smh.

Clockwise

Buccaneer
He posted this today, on his chinese twitter:
"No estamos acostumbrados a vivir esta situación pero tengo mucha confianza en que este grupo va a salir adelante"
Translation: We're not used to live this situation, but I have much confidence this group will come through.

I want to give him a hug

Doobs

The Messiah
Lionel Messi has recovered from his fever and will train this afternoon. He will be able to play against Real Madrid tomorrow. [cope]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans