10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatalinR10

535634_384294901669345_1956695732_n.jpg

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Wow, 1 off game and people are criticizing him?

It's not 1 off game that is the problem. He's had a couple of off games now, but I really don't blame Messi but the tactics. If Messi has an off game once in a while our coach should be able to tell and switch things up - put Messi on the wings, midfield or in line with the defenders, let our wingers cut in behind defenders, don't play Pedro who maybe had 3 good games the whole season etc etc etc.

KhaledBarca

Cristiano has now scored 8 goals in his last 7 games against Barcelona!
We are giving him too much spaces, he's very fast and 1 on 1 on the counters its very difficult to stop him.

On the Other hand, Messi is always marked by 3+ players, and the recent tactics (no real forward on the left flank) has made it impossible for him to find spaces!

We need to play with 3 Forwards! Villa/Tello on the Left Flank to open the pitch!

BerkeleyBernie

It's not 1 off game that is the problem. He's had a couple of off games now, but I really don't blame Messi but the tactics. If Messi has an off game once in a while our coach should be able to tell and switch things up - put Messi on the wings, midfield or in line with the defenders, let our wingers cut in behind defenders, don't play Pedro who maybe had 3 good games the whole season etc etc etc.

Yup tactics. Barça needs a CF who makes runs without the ball to challenge the centerbacks and create space in the middle (for Messi to run into). Messi only runs *with* the ball or once the entire team is charging the box. If that doesn't change, Villa/Pedro/Alexis need to be started in that forward position, with Messi back in with the midfielders towards the right side.

One of the great goals this season was scored by Pedro in a CF position, making an off-ball run that Messi just doesn't try to create. At 1m2s in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIwHsMMkNe4&feature=youtu.be&t=1m2s

footyfan

Calma, calma
Messi makes those small runs. Without them, he would never be able to get to crosses from either flank. Messi also scored a very similar goal to the above video vs Levante (Iniesta assist). He also scored vs Spartak away from Pedro's assist that was very similar. These are just two off the top of my head.

Obviously he doesn't make as frequently because he's not that type of player. He doesn't have to be pushed to the right, the wingers must be instructed to move inward (which they do) when the full backs attack. Pedro is just as bad as Messi at frequency of runs. Villa and Alexis are much better but Alexis can't finish, so yes we need Villa/Tello.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

As you said, off games are not the problem. Problem is when you don't create chances. No disrespect to Milan but they have one of the worst teams in decades and Real basically has the same squad we used to beat on a regular basis.
And I wouldn't even worry much about those 2 defeats if we hadn't been beaten so comfortably. That's the problem.
Whether it's tactics, rooster, or lack of motivation.. that's something to think about.

Kerrybai

He's still one off di stefano in classico's with 17 goals to his 18. Ronaldo meanwhile is moving up fast with 12 goals now. I hope he gets some space today to test Madrids keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans