10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stric

Past?
Dani Alves had a bad start this season, but in 2013 he has improved.

Defensive mistakes are not because of Alves, Pique, Masche not even Alba.
Its the whole system, playing with 2 attacking fullbacks and not finding a way to balance between attacking and defending...

What makes you think they're both instructed to bomb forward, though? Maybe it's just a matter of discipline. Going forward too much and not tracking back enough.

JamDav1982

What makes you think they're both instructed to bomb forward, though? Maybe it's just a matter of discipline. Going forward too much and not tracking back enough.

If they have not been both told to get forward at all times then they are ignoring instructions from the management for the whole season as that is exactly what they have been doing all season.

It was deliberate to take in a more attacking left back to allow Iniesta or whoever is on the left to play further inside and closer to Messi.

The downside of that is that the defence looks so open and teams like Madrid and Milan are almost just blindly hitting the ball out wide when they counter and getting opportunities from it.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

they both track back but it's a matter of knowing when and when not to do something. Alves should not be in the opponents half of the pitch when the ball is on Alba's side, and vice versa. One fullback should be solidly back in defense at all times to allow the CB's to shift over and form a solid 3 man back line. However in games Alves is almost always in an attacking sense and not disciplined enough to turn his defensive side on and stay back rather then venture forward when he's not involved in play. Alba is guilty too as he sometimes tries to drift inwards to get involved in play when he shouldn't. It's like they aren't in defensive mode until the opponent has already initiated the counter and are about to set up a chance, by which time all they can do is blindly run back into their own box and try to stop it, often without success.

CesDel

Yesterday Ronaldo had a similar position where he just tore through the Barcelona midfield/defence, and they were all shit scared.

Messi doesn't make many of those runs, he needs to committ players, when he's on the run there's nothing more terrifying. Instead he opts to just pass it about like the rest of the team.

Someone should be tkaing the game by the scruff of the neck, and none more so than Messi.

Btw you are talking about this one, right?

Ronaldo actually only had 1 defender ahead of himself(Thiago didn't even care to sprint to defend against him) ergo he only got past 1 defender and that was because he had alot of space ahead of him, something that Messi would not have, so he could use his kick and rush dribble. So once again, not comparable with Messi...

Last edited:
F

Flavia

He gave an intwerview to esquire, but I can't find it online yet. MD published some bits:

"I don't have an ego, or at least I feel I don't have it."
"I won't write an auto-biography, because I want my private life to be private."
"It makes me happy to know Thiago is waiting for me at home."
"I'm not worried if my son will be a football player. Whatever he chooses to do, he'll have my full support."
"As a player, I have to keep improving in every aspect."

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He gave an intwerview to esquire, but I can't find it online yet. MD published some bits:

"I don't have an ego, or at least I feel I don't have it."
"I won't write an auto-biography, because I want my private life to be private."
"It makes me happy to know Thiago is waiting for me at home."
"I'm not worried if my son will be a football player. Whatever he chooses to do, he'll have my full support."
"As a player, I have to keep improving in every aspect."

:wub: there is absolutely no way he could have made those answers any better. It's a really great trait to be that big of a superstar football player yet remain completely calm and humble in front of the press

Y

Youngie

Messi: "What will I do after I retire? When all this has ended, I will go home. I will return to Rosario and live there until I die." [optimum]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans