10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I'd have to agree with El Messiah. His off the ball movement this season has been nonexistent for the most part.

I think that's by design. You can see the midfielders like Xavi and Cesc press much much higher up the pitch this season. Earlier, our front 3 pressed relentlessly. I think they just want to keep Messi in cotton wool so that he uses energy only for those short bursts. IMO that makes us very very predictable and the only reason it's working now is because of how good he is. Obviously, one can argue that banking on Messi is the best thing to do but I really don't see us winning the Champions League with this kind of setup especially if our defence remains so terribly porous.

Paganinisrvnge

I guarantee that Messi will be much more dangerous from February to the end of the season. Right now he seems to be kind of coasting in order to stay fresh for the 2nd half of the season. If Messi is going to play almost every match then he needs to exert less energy than the rest of the team. We don't want Messi to be tired out by the time the team gets to the quarterfinals and onwards of the Champions League. Thankfully, Villa and Pedro are healthy now and the other forwards are improving so hopefully the team won't be lost if Messi is marked by 3 or 4 players at a time.

E

El Messiah 10

I guarantee that Messi will be much more dangerous from February to the end of the season. Right now he seems to be kind of coasting in order to stay fresh for the 2nd half of the season. If Messi is going to play almost every match then he needs to exert less energy than the rest of the team. We don't want Messi to be tired out by the time the team gets to the quarterfinals and onwards of the Champions League. Thankfully, Villa and Pedro are healthy now and the other forwards are improving so hopefully the team won't be lost if Messi is marked by 3 or 4 players at a time.

I hope...but I don't know if it's a kind of "self-managing" on the pitch in order to stay fresh from February to May....

hemakesmemessi

All this talk of his lack of movement off the ball, looking sluggish/ disinterested etc happened in exactly the same way at exactly the same time last year. People saying he didnt look as sharp etc, and we al know how he ended up performing for the season, so...wouldn't be worried. :messi:

E

El Messiah 10

All this talk of his lack of movement off the ball, looking sluggish/ disinterested etc happened in exactly the same way at exactly the same time last year. People saying he didnt look as sharp etc, and we al know how he ended up performing for the season, so...wouldn't be worried. :messi:

At the moment, it's not a real/big problem....obviously.
But, in my opinion, last season were less games in which he played "undertone"....(I don't speak about number of goals, but speak about "performance" in terms of movement and presence on the pitch....and physical condition....).

Me55i D105

Yeah, we ended up with insane amount of goals and only 1 title, the Copa.

raskolnikov

Its not messi's fault though? Busi, mascherano and him were the only ones who played really well that season.
Without messi saving barca every game it would have been a similair season as 07/08, lets just hope the supporting cast is better this season and we have a bit more luck.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Where is Maria? Do I have to mention how Messi is a drug cheat for her to show up? Herbalife? InjectALife more like.

Ursegor

World Champion
Where is Maria? Do I have to mention how Messi is a drug cheat for her to show up? Herbalife? InjectALife more like.

I had to read this 10 times to realize that you did NOT write: "Where is Di Maria?" Which didn't make any sense because you said "her". And that somehow annoyed me. Don't do that again.

MMKa

Yeah, we ended up with insane amount of goals and only 1 title, the Copa.

You forgot Spanish Supercup, UEFA Supercup and FIFA Club World Cup.

---

Not wanting to spam with 2 messages in row, so I edited here. Didn't really realise that earlier:

2011: FIFA Ballon d'Or & World Soccer Footballer of the Year & Onze d'Or
2010: FIFA Ballon d'Or & World Soccer Footballer of the Year & Onze d'Or
2009: Ballon d'Or & FIFA World Player of the Year & World Soccer Footballer of the Year & Onze d'Or
2008: Ballon d'Or & FIFA World Player of the Year & World Soccer Footballer of the Year & Onze d'Or
2007: Ballon d'Or & FIFA World Player of the Year & World Soccer Footballer of the Year & Onze d'Or
2006: Ballon d'Or 20th

Footballing world has been pretty consistent lately.

Last edited:

MMKa

2012: Onze d'Or

Well, I just wrote Onze 2011 (after season 2010-11) on same level with other trophys given in 10-11. Same with Onze 2012 (11-12). Actually there is no Onze 2010 but Onze "2010-11" = Onze 2011 as they give the trophy after season nowadays.

Soo, could have been this way:
2011-12: FIFA Ballon d'Or & World Soccer Footballer of the Year & Onze d'Or
2010-11: FIFA Ballon d'Or & World Soccer Footballer of the Year & Onze d'Or
2009-10: Ballon d'Or & FIFA World Player of the Year & World Soccer Footballer of the Year & Onze d'Or
2008-09: Ballon d'Or & FIFA World Player of the Year & World Soccer Footballer of the Year & Onze d'Or
2007-08: Ballon d'Or & FIFA World Player of the Year & World Soccer Footballer of the Year & Onze d'Or
2006-07: Ballon d'Or 20th

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans