10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm Ronaldo is the early favorite for the Ballon D'Or (Not that that award matters imo. Team trophies > Individual trophies)
Hate to admit it, but he's had a better 2013 than Messi so far.
Still a long way to go but let's at least give credit where its due.

Unless Ronaldo wins the CL (very unlikely since RM are almost out), I think Messi's gonna win the Ballon d'or, especially if he ends up beating Ronaldo stats wise (And knowing Messi, he will, despite Ronaldo's head start.).

Especially considering that Bayern (who will probably win the CL), don't really have a Messi or a Ronaldo, they don't really have that one player who stands out and is clearly the best on the team. So, even though Bayern will most likely win the treble, I don't think any of their players will win the Ballon d'or. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to not see any Bayern players in the top 3 (mainly because of Messi, Ronaldo and Iniesta).

As for Dortmund, I don't see one of their players getting it either, even if they do win the CL.

Even though RM and Barca won't win the CL (99%), it's still gonna be Messi who wins the Ballon d'or, with Ronaldo once again being second and the only one with the slightest chance of beating Messi to it.

Last edited:
J

jiopi

Umm Ronaldo is the early favorite for the Ballon D'Or (Not that that award matters imo. Team trophies > Individual trophies)
Hate to admit it, but he's had a better 2013 than Messi so far.
Still a long way to go but let's at least give credit where its due.
Are you on crack? How has he had better 2013? Messi has been carrying Barcelona to La Liga win, UCL semi-final and Argentina to WCQ group win. Messi just scored in 19 consecutive games for god sake. And please don't tell me because he as couple more goals in 2013.

Messi is clear favourite at the moment to Ballon d'Or, Cristiano needs UCL to challenge Messi.

Kerrybai

Does anyone have the 'distance covered' stats from previous CL seasons. I'd like to see how much his pressing has really dropped.

oz187

Umm Ronaldo is the early favorite for the Ballon D'Or
That's misleading. The season started in September. For the first four months he was nowhere near Messi's level. He's done well since the turn of the year, but it's a lot easier to put a burst of energy and achieve a high level for a few months. Maintaining it for an entire brutal season is a lot tougher.

His best season yet for me, I can see him at his prime for another 2 years.
Overall it's his best because of his good scoring record in the Champions League. But he had an indifferent first half to La Liga with Messi being way ahead on goalscoring and Barca way ahead on points. The Madrid project has stalled this season and I expect a transition happening. A transition that starts moving away from reliance on Cristiano.

Kerrybai

^You are right that Messi was beyond him prior to Christmas, but with regards to the Ballon Dor that doesn't matter as far I know. I would think Players are judged by their form for the calendar year as the winner is voted for in December.

Last edited:
J

jiopi

The vote isn't in december, it's starts already in october. And seasonal performance's also matter, because otherwise winning major trophies wouldn't matter either.

Messi is clearly better player, will probably win more, and probably have better stats. Can't see Cronaldo topping Messi without UCL.

oz187

^You are right that Messi was beyond him prior to Christmas, but with regards to the Ballon Dor that doesn't matter as far I know. I would Players are judged by their form for the calendar year as the winner is voted for in December.

It matters to some extent because people will see Messi winning La Liga and smashing La Liga goalscoring records and not notice when the goals were scored. But my point is, Christiano was in top form at the start of the year, but I'm not sure he can maintain it for the rest of the year.

ShandyFFM

haha ballon dor in april ... :facepalm:

although i think if ronaldo wins cl he will get it otherwise messi will win again because in teams like bayern and dortmund you just cant pic one player for an individual award because they are all playing on the same high level as its a team effort

J

jiopi

Talking about the ballon dor in April. :facepalm: You know better barcaforum.
Yeah, all these doom and gloom messengers are bit silly. It's non topic at the moment, even more so as nothing has really changed.

Last edited:

mixer

BIxzq1lCMAA6wuV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans