10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Tonykross
Barcelona would have lost against PSG without Messi.

I realise that, but the result being that he was injured/not fully fit for the semi-finals which barça lost without much of a chance.

Well, isn't it better to go out later rather than sooner in the cl ? lol

Can't mix up cause and consequence with Messi. Him getting more of the ball everywhere, saving his energy when he does not, is essentially the consequence of our winger's decrease in effectiveness. It was said earlier, Villa is not really fast anymore, Pedro can't get into scoring position, Alexis can't score.

Aside from this, there are times where against very strong teams Messi is more or less effectively shut down as false nine, and in this case he should play as right winger with CF, even if for only 45 mins, heck even with Fabregas as classic 9 this is a viable option!

CatalinR10

Well, isn't it better to go out later rather than sooner in the cl ? lol

Can't mix up cause and consequence with Messi. Him getting more of the ball everywhere, saving his energy when he does not, is essentially the consequence of our winger's decrease in effectiveness. It was said earlier, Villa is not really fast anymore, Pedro can't get into scoring position, Alexis can't score.

Aside from this, there are times where against very strong teams Messi is more or less effectively shut down as false nine, and in this case he should play as right winger with CF, even if for only 45 mins, heck even with Fabregas as classic 9 this is a viable option!

So you are saying that Villa- Alexis - Pedro are not as good as before because of Messi ? Jesus :facepalm:

Villa is a world class finisher but thats all , Pedro and Alexis were rubish the last 2 seasons. We have on our team possibly the greatest player that ever was so he is always going to be the 1'st searched player on the field when it comes to passing. The same happened with Pele , Maradona , Cruyff and will always happen with players of this type. He has caryed the team on his shoulders the last 2 seasons and people start complaining because of this. Is is Messi's fault that the rest of players in the offesinve line aren't good enough so he has to do all the things by himself ?

Mitchell1978

This whole 'Messidependencia' things, Is nothing more than a badly thought hogwash, He's being utilized to the best of his abilities the same as Cristano, Ibra, Bale, Or cavani, They're all the focal of their team, And it's just the natural evolution of players of their caliber.

I agree, a player of his calibre will always be essential towards his team and will be missed when he's not playing.

J

jiopi

Pep talking about Messi (among other things), in Argentina:

"My first contact with Messi was at a Nike store. Leo was with his father. I saw him shy, as always, I didn't know him. Tito Vilanova had told me: "I have a kid that will become a star". And he hit it on the nail."

"Why does Messi play in the center? In my opinion, the best players must move through the center. I saw Messi as the best player we had, and many times he didn't participate because he was on the right wing. Additionally, we always looked to have numeric superiority on the center of the pitch.

"It wasn't hard to convince him [to move positions]. He caught up fast. And if you played him as a left back, he would catch it quickly as well. Leo is the best defender there is, when he goes to get the ball, he kills you. Marcelo [Bielsa] told me that anyone can see the good and the bad, well even a blind person could have seen Messi.

"Messi playing through the center tracked back to get the ball and the defenders didn't follow him, so we managed to have numeric superiority in the midfield and he could get the ball with less pressure. So some teams started allowing one defender to follow him. Looking for something to counter this, in one game I played a 9 to force the defender to head back and thus give Messi greater freedom to control ball.

"Have I taught him anything? Please, please... his parents taught him. He came out good. The play belongs to the footballers: when I had the ball on my feed, I controlled it, when the ref kicks off the game, the coach paints drawings."

"I had never seen anyone like Messi. And don't ask the very original question of who is better between him and Maradona, my idol."

Kerrybai

BJZN09QCAAA2eZA.png:large

And that right there is why he belongs in the middle :barca scarf: He's our best goalscorer and play-maker, it's not his fault if our other forwards are not good enough or if Tito is getting his tactics wrong.

Messi vs Uruguay a few months back for those who missed it. It's interesting to see him in a much different central role, essentially he does much of what he does for Argentina as he does for us, however look at how Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria etc move around. Aguero and Higuain occupy, defenders, Aguero also drops into the 10 position when Messi goes deep into midfield. Di Maria is constantly on the overlap looking to penetrate etc.

Last edited:

Keikoku

Cabbage
Pep talking about Messi (among other things), in Argentina:

"My first contact with Messi was at a Nike store. Leo was with his father. I saw him shy, as always, I didn't know him. Tito Vilanova had told me: "I have a kid that will become a star". And he hit it on the nail."

"Why does Messi play in the center? In my opinion, the best players must move through the center. I saw Messi as the best player we had, and many times he didn't participate because he was on the right wing. Additionally, we always looked to have numeric superiority on the center of the pitch.

"It wasn't hard to convince him [to move positions]. He caught up fast. And if you played him as a left back, he would catch it quickly as well. Leo is the best defender there is, when he goes to get the ball, he kills you. Marcelo [Bielsa] told me that anyone can see the good and the bad, well even a blind person could have seen Messi.

"Messi playing through the center tracked back to get the ball and the defenders didn't follow him, so we managed to have numeric superiority in the midfield and he could get the ball with less pressure. So some teams started allowing one defender to follow him. Looking for something to counter this, in one game I played a 9 to force the defender to head back and thus give Messi greater freedom to control ball.

"Have I taught him anything? Please, please... his parents taught him. He came out good. The play belongs to the footballers: when I had the ball on my feed, I controlled it, when the ref kicks off the game, the coach paints drawings."

"I had never seen anyone like Messi. And don't ask the very original question of who is better between him and Maradona, my idol."

Not anymore Pep :lol:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
This whole 'Messidependencia' things, Is nothing more than a badly thought hogwash, He's being utilized to the best of his abilities the same as Cristano, Ibra, Bale, Or cavani, They're all the focal of their team, And it's just the natural evolution of players of their caliber.

Messidependencia or not, Barca has to develop a Plan B so when Messi is effectively shut down or when he is not playing, the team knows how to score goals and win games. Otherwise, like what happened in the Bayern games, Other teams will just shut down Messi and Barca are done with.

Leo10

Pep talking about Messi (May 2013):

I'm going to quote this every time someone suggests Messi should play on the wing so be warned! :pep:

KhaledBarca

If possible, do you have one like this with just goals or goals+ assists ? :blush: I'd like to know the dominance of Léo :p
Thanks in advance !

Most goals in the last 3 seasons (club+country, players top 5 leagues):
1- Messi 203
2- Cristiano 181
3- Falaco 117
4- Mario Gomez 110
5- Cavani 108
6- Ibra 105
7- RVP 103

I'll tweet Top 10 with more details for goals and assists on Monday!

raskolnikov

what the hell are our doctors doing
I would sack them all after this Messi incident

What happened? I thought he relapsed after being forced in the Psg/Bayern games, these type of injuries can ruin a season if your not careful.
I guess he will play a half tonight.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
If it doesn't make his injury worse, I hope he will play some minutes tonight, we look so boring without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans