Status
Not open for further replies.

CatalinR10

I am quite worried about what this might potentially do to Messi:

- affecting his morale and his performance for both Barca and Argentina

- affecting his chance of getting the Ballon D'or

- damaging his image

:eusa_think:

I get your point but I don't know how this could affect him getting the Ballon D'or . I don't think he intentionally planned to make frauds , like he said , he has nothing to do with it . Also , why risk it for 4 mil when this amount is like nothing to him.

ShandyFFM

If this story aint true i guess Messi and his familiy will make a huge lawsuit because they have tried to damage his image. It would be quite bizarre if he gets even more money because of this story.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Again, wasn't Eto'o accused of something similar (tax fraud, image rights, 2006-2009) around the same time last year? Whatever came out of that?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yeah, tax evasion is really the thing what decides Ballon d'Or nowadays? :lol:

Well, tax evasion itself has nothing to do with the ability to excel at playing soccer. However, the way I see it, since Ballon D'or has no clear nominating criteria, it has a lot of subjectivity in it, therefore a player's public image could have a big effect on how players are nominated and selected. Depending on how this saga will turn out, I just worry that if anything bad turns out that damages Messi's image and likability, people might just skip him.

J

jiopi

jiopi you are at 999 posts.

:tito:
Thanks for that, almost dedicated 1000 to some random thread.

:worthy::messi:

Well, tax evasion itself has nothing to do with the ability to excel at playing soccer. However, the way I see it, since Ballon D'or has no clear nominating criteria, it has a lot of subjectivity in it, therefore a player's public image could have a big effect on how players are nominated and selected. Depending on how this saga will turn out, I just worry that if anything bad turns out that damages Messi's image and likability, people might just skip him.
You worry too much.

Papabeef

"According to the papers filed by the prosecutor, Raquel Amado in Gava, the seaside resort close to Barcelona where Messi lives, it is alleged that they tried to avoid paying taxes in Spain by selling the player's image rights through overseas companies." (CNN)

Man this is terrible, either he's in some trouble and needs to settle it or its not true yet he still got his image jabbed. Too bad really.

khorne

No jury would ever convict Messi in Barcelona, Madrid on the other hand... Also the Barcelona prison football team would have to be the greatest prison team of all time.

Why would no jury convict messi in barcelona, if he is guilty? Football is a brilliant thing, but it's not the core of society and football stars are not exempt from the law. If they're found guilty of breaking it, their punishment is the same as any Joe Shmoe's.

Stric

Why would no jury convict messi in barcelona, if he is guilty? Football is a brilliant thing, but it's not the core of society and football stars are not exempt from the law. If they're found guilty of breaking it, their punishment is the same as any Joe Shmoe's.

I'm not familiar with the legal system in Spain or Catalonia, but if we're talking about a jury here, it's still regular Joes who make the decision, not legal experts. What he's saying is that a jury in Catalonia wouldn't convinct him, which does make sense. It's regular people we're talking about here, and most of them are probably crazy about Messi and wouldn't want to convict him even if he was proven guilty. That's what he meant, I think.

F

Flavia

I don't know how lawsuits works in catalunya, but here in Brazil only murders and such go to public jury. Tax evasion is judge by judges, not regular people.
Also, I read that this deal was made when Messi was a minor, and if this is really the case, his father would be the one to answer for it.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What I found odd about this whole thing is the alleged tax evasion took place between 2007 and 2009. What made them stop in 2009? And what took the Spanish tax authorities so long to uncover it?

I smell conspiracy in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans