10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Of course. Just saying that a bad image can hurt his chances, but I (like anyone who's not a Messi hater/Ronaldo fanboy) know that Messi won his Ballon d'ors because he was the best player, not because of his image or anything like that.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was worried at first too, but now I highly doubt it. Chances are in a few weeks from now, nobody's talking about this anymore. The media reaction so far (I mean non-internet) hasn't been to big, in my country that is.

Btw, if anyone's interested, here is the story about Messi's image rights and his former agent (Schinocca). Might have something to do with all this, as some papers suggest.

Henry_IB

Banned
Pele: "For his quality, Neymar deserved to play at the best team in the world, alongside the best player in the world, Messi." [sport]

I thought he hated Messi :lol:

He has no problems saying Messi is the best in the world. He just turns a bit grumpy when it comes to the discussion who the greatest of all time is though.

CatalinR10

He has no problems saying Messi is the best in the world. He just turns a bit grumpy when it comes to the discussion who the greatest of all time is though.

He had a problem when he said that Neymar is better than Messi and stuff like that. But since Neymar has joined Barcelona , he only said that Messi is the best in the world , etc .

mixer

A bad image could prevent the voters from voting for him.

But yeah, I don't think it's gonna hurt his chances of winning the Ballon d'or too badly.
I think it won't change anything.

Rosell: "Messi's tax case? Talked with his family, they're very calm. The club gives total support to Leo, no doubt about his innocence."

It's clear as a daylight that Leo is innocent. Just have to prove it.

I think it won't change anything.

Rosell: "Messi's tax case? Talked with his family, they're very calm. The club gives total support to Leo, no doubt about his innocence."

It's clear as a daylight that Leo is innocent. Just have to prove it.

I have no doubt that Messi is innocent. Just saying that even after he's proven innocent, the accusation alone could hurt his image. But yeah, I'm probably worrying too much :lol:

J

jiopi

Think he changed his tune when Messi scored a hat-trick against Brazil.
There was a amateur video after the match, where people wen't pretty much insane with chanting Messi's name inside the stadium. Does anyone still have that video?

P

PhilS

My understanding is that his father became his representative when he came to Spain. His father's background was factory work.

Athletes frequently get bad professional advice, including bad tax advice. They get rich young, even very young like Messi. They generally are not highly educated, and can hire advisors who are not the best or who are even crooks.

Snipes is not in the same category, he is a tax protester, which is a form of mental illness. Snipes ignored professional advice all the way through sentencing, he had no valid support at all for his extreme, criminal tax positions.

These licensing rights for multinational sports stars are an interesting tax area. The golfer Sergio Garcia was in the U.S. tax press recently for his aggressive structuring of his licensing rights, he won his civil case vs. the IRS. Sergio clearly had the very best tax/legal advisors, no criminal charges were at stake.

This is a very serious matter for Messi. In the U.S., this level of charge is criminal felony, which means both fines and jail over one year. Defending this case will have a big effect on him, even if he eventually wins. He will not be able to be a full-time player while this drags on, at best this will be a huge mental problem for him. I don't know at what age in Spain a taxpayer becomes criminally responsibe for his tax returns, but wasn't he 21 in 2009? If these charges are through 2009, that does not mean that could not be later charges for later years.

I'd like to hear from anyone with any Spanish criminal tax knowledge. How quickly is this case likely to progress? If worst comes to worst, are first offenders for this type of offense actually likely to serve serious prison time?

If Messi was sentenced to prison, could the sentence be deferred for maybe a decade? If the U.S., the President can pardon or commute federal sentences, there would be huge pressure in Spain for something like this. The president of Argentina would ask for this from Spain.

Yannick03

I'm wondering if the persons who took care of Messi's financial affaires and his taxes could be held responsible ? I'm assuming Messi hired them so there has to be a contract, doesn't this contract transfer the responsibility to the bureau that Messi hires ? If so, they have to be held responsible. Anyone with a better understanding of this matter ?

DivineVisitor

The Right One ⇩
These licensing rights for multinational sports stars are an interesting tax area. The golfer Sergio Garcia was in the U.S. tax press recently for his aggressive structuring of his licensing rights, he won his civil case vs. the IRS. Sergio clearly had the very best tax/legal advisors, no criminal charges were at stake.

This is a very serious matter for Messi. In the U.S., this level of charge is criminal felony, which means both fines and jail over one year. Defending this case will have a big effect on him, even if he eventually wins. He will not be able to be a full-time player while this drags on, at best this will be a huge mental problem for him. I don't know at what age in Spain a taxpayer becomes criminally responsibe for his tax returns, but wasn't he 21 in 2009? If these charges are through 2009, that does not mean that could not be later charges for later years.

I'd like to hear from anyone with any Spanish criminal tax knowledge. How quickly is this case likely to progress? If worst comes to worst, are first offenders for this type of offense actually likely to serve serious prison time?

If Messi was sentenced to prison, could the sentence be deferred for maybe a decade? If the U.S., the President can pardon or commute federal sentences, there would be huge pressure in Spain for something like this. The president of Argentina would ask for this from Spain.

I read in one article that Figo evaded tax on his image rights during his time in Spain and it was settled by simply paying what he was due +50%. No idea how legit that was though, not researched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans