10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry_IB

Banned
Holy crap 600% that's about a years earnings, he'd basically be poor!

As someone said, that's one year pay for Messi. Not to mention he probably got money saved up. People don't need to worry about this. Worst case scenario, he'll need to pay back with interest if he's actually guilty. There's no way he's going to jail.

Ritchie

And he should definitely be benched in situations like the Celta game right before the PSG game (it was right before a CL game, the opposition were relegation fodder, it was right after a tiring game in Bolivia, etc). Like I've said before, him playing the full 90 minutes against Celta right after that Bolivia game is probably the reason he got injured.

He should be rested a little more (i.e. he should rest in easy La Liga games that come before CL games), but he should be able to handle 50 or so games a season, especially considering that he won't have a game like the one in Bolivia next season.

Mascherano was rested for Celta and still got injured against PSG. That Bolivia game took a lot out of them in that altitude and they could have done with a week off after it.

Mascherano was rested for Celta and still got injured against PSG. That Bolivia game took a lot out of them in that altitude and they could have done with a week off after it.

True. I'm not saying that resting Messi against Celta would definitely have prevented the injury, but there's a good chance it would have. Playing him for the full 90 minutes against Celta was a poor decision.

Stric

Weren't Mascherano and Alonso accused of pretty much the same thing last year? I think it had something to do with tax fraud involving off-shore accounts in Madeira or the Azores.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Is El Mundo a Madrid-based paper by the way? :shakeshead:

Whatever the outcome of the investigation, it’s clear that the squeaky-clean image of the previously scandal-free soccer god will never be the same. “Messi dirtied his image by cheating to avoid paying taxes,” thundered the daily El Mundo, laying out in detail how Messi and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, his manager and agent, allegedly avoided paying more than €4 million by setting up companies in countries considered tax havens.

“How many hundreds of millions of kids want to be like Messi?” asks the newspaper in an editorial “But the idol wasn’t perfect. In fact, he seems to be far from that.” The editorial goes on to lament the destruction of the ‘Messi myth’ of humility and tranquility.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2013/06/14/lionel-messis-sudden-feet-of-clay/

F

Flavia

Overreactions, overreactions everywhere... Calm down, people. He's innocent until proven otherwise. It's still a suspicion, wait to judge him after everything is clarified.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Overreactions, overreactions everywhere... Calm down, people. He's innocent until proven otherwise. It's still a suspicion, wait to judge him after everything is clarified.

Yes, he is innocent until proven guilty. However, looks like the Spanish government and the press are on a crusade to crucify him, trying to make an example out of his case. In light of that, I am not sure if he will get a fair representation/investigation/trial.

F

Flavia

Yes, he is innocent until proven guilty. However, looks like the Spanish government and the press are on a crusade to crucify him, trying to make an example out of his case. In light of that, I am not sure if he will get a fair representation/investigation/trial.

Madrid's press is doing it to also target Barça in the process. And because it's Messi. But he will get a fair investigation, he has enough funds to prevent any injustice.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Chill out, guys. Nothing has been proven yet. As I mentioned earlier, Mascherano and Alonso were also accused of tax evasion recently and I don't remember anything ever surfacing after the accusations.

http://www.marca.com/2012/11/03/en/football/spanish_football/1351965522.html

The difference is this time around, Messi, one of the best footballers of all time is the target. The over-zealous Spanish press, especially those that are anti-Catalunya, anti-Barca, plus tabloids and some media outlets around the world that love seeing blood on Messi would jump on this golden opportunity to defame him, regardless of the outcome of the investigation.

It is a loss for Messi already unless he can prove them completely wrong and thus vindicate himself totally. And sue those bastards for defamation.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Madrid's press is doing it to also target Barça in the process. And because it's Messi. But he will get a fair investigation, he has enough funds to prevent any injustice.

But does he have enough funds to reverse the damage that has been done to his image and win the public opinion battle?

I root for you, Leo!

F

Flavia

But does he have enough funds to reverse the damage that has been done to his image and win the public opinion battle?

I root for you, Leo!

Most people are fickle. They go with the flow, and once this is clarified and over, it'll be forgotten. Here in Brazil, for instance, this is not even being really reported. Of course, if he's found guilty, his image will be damaged, but then it'd be his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans