10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
With Alexis out, and Villa doubtful, he may as well play against Benfica... But playing him against Alavés would be reaaaally stupid...

J

jiopi

I dont know if it has gotten more media attention than the 73 goal record, maybe because of the ballon d'or?
73 goals is definitely more important than this 85 gerd muller record.
I would like for him to break it but I dont get people saying he should play alaves or benfica as well just to break that record.
Barcelona doing well is still more important but he should not play those games since they are not important.
You can practically read about it in every match of Barcelona nowadays, and it's featured in almost every football related site constantly. Like in ESPN the last match, the title "Messi closes on the record", it has been featured multiple times in fifa.com already etc. I don't think it's because the Ballon d'Or as the articles hardly ever associate the two.

Messi seasonal WR's are 73 for club, and 82 for club and country. As I said in other thread the importance of the record should not be ridiculed, as it has gotten so much media coverage, and this maybe the last and only chance to break it, ever again. I think the result of failing to break it could have worse consequences than than the small energy loss in a half hour feature against Alaves and co.

But still, I don't get the calendar year thing as it is more trivial than something concrete.

Last edited:

Papabeef

This whole yearly WR debacle got me thinking, why is that the calendar year record got so much more media coverage? Compared to that the seasonal WR Messi already broke last season got barely any coverage. I mean isn't the one season record much more impressive than the record of two different halves of two seasons? The irrelevant timely restrictions just sounds more made-up.

Was thinking the exact same thing, he broke a 90 year old season scoring record (And Muller, Pele season etc..) where here its a record that stood less ages, but i suppose for the average fan, the whole "IN A YEAR" thing is where the excitement is as the term in a season is a bit intangible for some....Year = a fixed comparison in a certain sense. But this is all great publicity for our boy VS the guy who was the best player in "his team" that won La Liga..... I'm starting to think Iniesta might actually compete with CR7 for 2nd place... If we consider Messi is leading that is.

Recent Iniesta Magic came at the right time to help push the envelope with all those who tend to have a more fickle vision and look at the recent activity instead of all year round, wonder how many Voters are yet to vote...

Last edited:

CatalinR10

Lionel Messi is the first player since 1943-44 season (Martin and Echevarria) to score 19 goals in first 13 Liga rounds

Vapor

This whole yearly WR debacle got me thinking, why is that the calendar year record got so much more media coverage? Compared to that the seasonal WR Messi already broke last season got barely any coverage. I mean isn't the one season record much more impressive than the record of two different halves of two seasons? The irrelevant timely restrictions just sounds more made-up.
I agree. The record he broke last year is ridiculous and impressive enough as it is. That should have gotten more attention. But still, playing at such an astounding level like he's been playing at for so long, 12 + months consecutively (really more like 18 months, really more like 2-3 years), is really quite the feat though.

lessthanjake

I agree. The record he broke last year is ridiculous and impressive enough as it is. That should have gotten more attention. But still, playing at such an astounding level like he's been playing at for so long, 12 + months consecutively (really more like 18 months, really more like 2-3 years), is really quite the feat though.

I think two things are going on:

1. Ballon D'or is a calendar year award, so there is a sense that this calendar year mark is important, especially when it is (or maybe was) unclear who should win the award.

2. This record is better than the season record. Obviously a season is just a specific 12 month period. His best season was 73 goals so far. Calendar year is just another specific 12 month period, but this time he is going to end up with like 85-90 goals. The fact that it is more impressive has made it be reported on more, I'm sure.

Stric

Almost every other player? :lol:

:D "Every player" is what I initially wrote, but then I figured that, for example, Iniesta is sometimes so damn good (like last night) that I'd be reluctant to say that Messi's recent somewhat passive style with many lost balls is still superior to Iniesta (for example) at his best.

Leo10

This Muller record of 85 gets a lot more media attention than the season one.
Where I live they mention it after every game, "Messi getting closer to the record, Barca 11 ahead of Real".

The way I see it is last season we already lost the league so records didn't matter.
This season just started so they have nothing better to write about plus his scoring rate is nuts.
"Year" is easy to understand while "Season" you don't really know what a season was in the days of Pele. One year is fixed, its 365 days in 2012 as it was in 1957.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
I think Messi should come on for the last 20 minutes of the Copa Del Rey match, you know, just to beast it up a bit but not to really exhaust himself. Then he'll be ready to crush Bilbao. Besides, we don't really need a result against Benefica either, so I think he should start on the bench there and come on in the second half. He'll be nice and rested and ready to finish off the record.

EDIT: Messi vs. Levante: http://vimeo.com/54306465

Last edited:

Vapor

1. Ballon D'or is a calendar year award, so there is a sense that this calendar year mark is important, especially when it is (or maybe was) unclear who should win the award.

2. This record is better than the season record. Obviously a season is just a specific 12 month period. His best season was 73 goals so far. Calendar year is just another specific 12 month period, but this time he is going to end up with like 85-90 goals. The fact that it is more impressive has made it be reported on more, I'm sure.
Ah you really broke that down nicely, that makes sense.

J

jiopi

1. The vote has already taken place so it can't affect the results any more.

2. With the same criteria (club+nt) the record was 82, for the club only 73.

J

jiopi

Except a season is not 12 months.
In practice nor is the yearly record, as they don't play in the summer. But for me the two different halves of two different seasons sound much more trivial than a seasonal entity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans