10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Might be he found out something was wrong with his taxes, which wasn't his fault. To me this doesn't seem as if he knowingly evaded taxes, as in this case, he would probably have paid up for 2007/2009, or arranged a deal so he wouldn't have to go to court.

To me this looks like PR, like he's paying something "just in case" to calm down the media etc.

Understandable, but again, paying up usually implicates some sort of wrongdoing. Messi should not have paid anything until the investigation proves him guilty!

J

jiopi

26, strange indeed...Has there ever been a player that has entertained so consistently like this and for this long?...Unprecedented in any sport...I can't wait to see what he does next
Oh how the time flies. Including this season, he has been World Top2 now 7 years, which is insane, and unprecedented in football.

World-Player-Evolution-King.png

JamDav1982

Understandable, but again, paying up usually implicates some sort of wrongdoing. Messi should not have paid anything until the investigation proves him guilty!

If he waited till then he could go to jail.

Can pay early to avoid trial. No chance would it go further than that.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Well apparently it was a "complimentary tax return, which consists of a correction to the tax return originally submitted to the tax authorities." [Marca] For the years 2010-2011. So apparently he or whoever is responsible for his taxes noticed that apparently something was wrong with his taxes and thus spent extra close attention at the returns for the following years. And corrected what was wrong and paid up for it.

That would be true for 2007-2009, but he paid for the years 2010-2011. Whether or not he is guilty remains to be seen.

I don't like it either, though. I'm worried about his image.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If he waited till then he could go to jail.

Can pay early to avoid trial. No chance would it go further than that.

Then it shows Messi and his father kind of already conceded/acknowledged that they were the guilty party/or somewhat at fault. Otherwise, why should they be afraid of going to jail?

It just pains me to see him paying up. Now you are going to have all the anti-Messi fans pointing fingers at him: "See? I told you he was guilty!" :banghead:

The implications of this on his image is huge.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Well apparently it was a "complimentary tax return, which consists of a correction to the tax return originally submitted to the tax authorities." [Marca] For the years 2010-2011. So apparently he or whoever is responsible for his taxes noticed that apparently something was wrong with his taxes and thus spent extra close attention at the returns for the following years. And corrected what was wrong and paid up for it.

That sounds disingenuous, as one would argue that Messi would not have "found" the errors in his 2010/11 tax returns if he hadn't been accused of evading taxes for the 2007/09 period.

All I can say is, Messi need to find better and more professional folks to help handle his finances.

There can be no repair to his tainted image unless he is vindicated by the investigation/trial. Sigh.

F

Flavia

Then it shows Messi and his father kind of already conceded/acknowledged that they were the guilty party/or somewhat at fault. Otherwise, why should they be afraid of going to jail?

It just pains me to see him paying up. Now you are going to have all the anti-Messi fans pointing fingers at him: "See? I told you he was guilty!" :banghead:

The implications of this on his image is huge.
Until(or if) we know the specifics, there's not much to it. His accountants could've found out a mistake or made, or he just wants to avoid even more bad publicity. Going on trial, even if he's found innocent in the end, is way worse than to settle now. He'd probably lose more money than the 10m he seems to have paid now, and also would have more damage done to his image.

Yannick03

I'm guessing the image rights set-up was still in place after 2009 but Spanish authorities only investigated until 2009. So he's paying what he should have done all along since 2006, in paying now for 2010 and 2011 he's avoiding additional inquiries.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Until(or if) we know the specifics, there's not much to it. His accountants could've found out a mistake or made, or he just wants to avoid even more bad publicity. Going on trial, even if he's found innocent in the end, is way worse than to settle now. He'd probably lose more money than the 10m he seems to have paid now, and also would have more damage done to his image.

I'd argue that if he is proven innocent in the end it will be his biggest vindication.

At this point, his detractors would just mock him for chickening out.

F

Flavia

I'd argue that if he is proven innocent in the end it will be his biggest vindication.

That's not how the world works. Other players have faced these kind of problems, and settled. Like Eto'o or Figo. Pictures of Messi going on trial would do much, much more damage to him than if he settles it now.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
I'm pretty sure he will be found innocent in the end anyway, meaning that if there was any wrongdoing, he didn't know about it and it was the fault of his accountants or maybe his father. Plus, there is still the possibility that this turns out to be "just" a mistake/inconsistency in his tax returns, which is not the same, in a legal sense, as tax evasion.

As for the Messi haters, haters gonna hate. Let them talk. Plus, the memory of the (internet) mob is short-lived. Let Messi play a few games, score a few goals and people will forget about it. Just like they did, at least for some days, after the Guatemala match. This is the summer break and people just love to hear some football gossip.

IF he turns out to be innocent... I guess he should demand damages.

That's not how the world works. Other players have faced these kind of problems, and settled. Like Eto'o or Figo. Pictures of Messi going on trial would do much, much more damage to him than if he settles it now.
Yeah, I agree. I guess the whole thing will be settled once he testifies in September (which is, by the way, a completely normal procedure for cases like this, and no cause for worry). I doubt Messi, or let's say his lawyers, would wait to see the investigation lead to a trial. They'll either provide enough evidence of his innocence or find another way to settle it.

Last edited:

abual3bed1

It's still not clear of a situation. If he really payed the 10m then I'm pretty sure it's to cover his dad's ass. I don't Leo has anything to do with it, although it's his name that being used here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans