10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Some people become so bored with football that they engage in its 'tabloidization'. They are more concerned with footballers celebrity wives or the latest training ground bust up. Controversy sells newspapers and creates interest. Only those very close to Messi know the truth about his 'ego' or how humble he really is, yet somehow a couple of vague stories/quotes/videos and suddenly people conclude that he's an egotistical maniac who runs the dressing room.

This may be arguing semantics, but there is no way that Messi has a tiny ego. He practices self control and humility, but doesn't have true "humbleness". Don't get me wrong, those things are equal in terms of being morally admirable qualities but they are far different in actual meaning as far as I'm concerned. Being humble would be an internal modesty, whereas humility is how he behaves and acts as a person making sure that he keeps the right image and interacts well with people.

Having an ego is what makes him confident, it's the reason why he is assured in his abilities and can constantly perform the way he does to an extraordinary level. Egos aren't just about boasting or gloating ones own qualities but having self-admiration and confidence. Being truly humble would mean that he doesn't have faith in his ability to lead a team and be a dominant player, and that he can't impose his personal influence on our play. Being egotistical is often viewed in a way too cynical perspective, Messi has all the great qualities of being self assured with his ego while having true human control over the negative sides of it such as arrogance, boasting, or too much pride. The fact that he can control his ego in a way most other footballers can't earns a lot of respect because it's simply good character.

Does he have outbursts? Sure, he's human, everyone does. They aren't as wild and inventive as portrayed by the media, but he isn't 100% perfect, nor should anyone expect him to be. I'd have Messi just the way he is for our team, wanting him to be more "humble" and "self sacrificing" would be reducing his role and importance which is far from ideal. His ego benefits himself, but also for the good of the team and other players in the process which makes it a win-win.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Thanks AzaR, so there won't be any live vote for the winner for Ballon D'Or? When will the short list be announced? December?

Messi staying fit is the key. I pray that he will.
I'm pretty sure we've discussed this when the UEFA Best Player shortlist was announced, but here I go anyway (Wikipedia explains everything brilliantly, though);

1) There is no criteria for the Ballon D'or - the voters can vote for anyone on the shortlist. Silverware or not, it depends on the voter.
2) The voters are: one media representative, the coach of the national team and the captain of the national team can vote. So for Spain it will be Casillas, Del Bosque and some Marca person, for Germany it will be Löw, Lahm and a kicker person, etc.
3) There is only one round of voting. No live voting, no finalist pick etc.
4) Each voter picks his tops three, with 5 points going to #1, 3 to #2 and 1 to #3.
5) The winner is whoever gets the most points from the voting, meaning they already know the winner when the votes are sent in November.
6) After the votes are counted, FIFA announces the three finalists, which are the three players with the most points (which is just to keep the suspense, they already know who is the winner).

And yes, all this weighs hugely in Messi's favour. First, as I've said before, some will give their vote to some other Bayern player than Ribery, resulting in the Bayern players probably all stealing points from each other. Second, in the UEFA best player election, all the votes that went to Bayern/Dortmund players in the initial round of voting were most likely bundled and all went to Ribery in the final voting. This will not happen in the Ballon D'Or, as there is only one round of voting that will not exclude Schweinsteiger, Lahm etc from the list. Third, second and third place votes count.This means Messi will collect quite a few valuable points from being named second or third place, as he will be somewhere in almost everyone's shortlist, whereas Ribery most likely will be completely left out of some.

Then there's some other things that play a role, for example the time of the award ceremony: With the UEFA Best Player being awarded after the end of a season, achievements in that particular season play a much bigger role for voters than in the Ballon D'Or - so most likely, in the Ballon D'Or, everyone just picks whoever they think is the best player, regardless of silverware. (Silverware did play a role some years back, but in Messi times, everything loses its value).

Still, you don't really need to estimate Messi's chances. Look at last year's votes from the FIFA homepage to give you reassurance...

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

It pisses me off that Messi is played when he is injured. Just sit the freaking guy for a few weeks so he can fully recover. Why is that concept so damn hard with these doctors and coaches? I'm tired of the egos being massaged. I want to see more of Tata subbing players when walking around, and cracking the general whip around the clubhouse. Xavi taking free kicks is one of my biggest annoyances. We've got to make changes is we are going to compete and get back to our best. I know we can do it, but it seems that people upstairs are reluctant to pull the trigger and rock the boat.

Cule4life

The Culest
It pisses me off that Messi is played when he is injured. Just sit the freaking guy for a few weeks so he can fully recover. Why is that concept so damn hard with these doctors and coaches? I'm tired of the egos being massaged. I want to see more of Tata subbing players when walking around, and cracking the general whip around the clubhouse. Xavi taking free kicks is one of my biggest annoyances. We've got to make changes is we are going to compete and get back to our best. I know we can do it, but it seems that people upstairs are reluctant to pull the trigger and rock the boat.

Also the fact that without Messi we look like a mid table team

Papabeef

I think if any other player rather than Messi would have achieved just his unearthly constant scoring in League matches in a row record we might have seen him win this award. After 6 or 7 years of getting wowed further into our skulls, some people are almost expecting these types of feats from Messi, which damps an ordinary feel on them... Dude ate fire, stuck a sword up his throat, now he needs to eat lava, stick 2 swords up his throat while juggling.

MMKa

Uefa Best player is more like replacement to old Uefa club player of the year award.

04 Deco
05 Gerrard
06 Ronaldinho
07 Kaka
08 Cronaldo
09 Messi
10 Milito
*11 Messi
*12 Iniesta
*13 Ribery

Difference: head coaches from the 16 Champions league knock-out round clubs voted.

Last edited:

MMKa

Jiopi: "Old Ballon d'Or most probably would have been: 1. Messi 2. Ribery 3. Cronaldo"

Last year Uefa Best would have been Cronaldo, as first round votes were Cr 171, Messi 166 and Iniesta 133.

raskolnikov

I thought Messi won first round? thats why he was considered second eventhough him and Cristiano had the same ammount of votes.

J

jiopi

Jiopi: "Old Ballon d'Or most probably would have been: 1. Messi 2. Ribery 3. Cronaldo"

Last year Uefa Best would have been Cronaldo, as first round votes were Cr 171, Messi 166 and Iniesta 133.
Yeah, I thought they were never published? What's the source, and was this years also published?

F

Flavia

1157694_537201836352287_861244033_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans