10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stric

804483615.jpg

Messi: "I'm very happy with the Super Cup. Atletico is a team that doesn't give you space, goes for every ball, it was a tough tie."

Messi: "In the end, I only got a knock in the first leg. I'm returning from an injury, which was also a relapse, so I'm more careful."

Dem noses!

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Michael Owen (ex-Liverpool -Real Madrid -Newcastle -Man United): "Ribery was a worthy choice [for Best Player in Europe]? Messi for me."

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What is the disposition (or composition?) of the voting crowd for Ballon D'Or? More managers and coaches, less journalists?

AzaR

Suprised Ribery won by the margain he did, as for the Balon d'or, Messi will win provided he does what he usually does and performs like no one else on this planet can, he just needs to stay fit. It has a different voting criteria (as far as I'm aware anyway), Is based over the year unlike UEFA best player which is the past season and diferent voting format that will favour the best player individually. (as im sure you all know)

Uefa best player award, formerly known as Balon d'or has always favoured team success;

06 Cannavaro world cup
07 Kaka CL
08 Ronaldo CL
09 Messi CL
10 No award
11 Messi CL
12 Iniesta Euros
13 Ribery CL

Iniesta won it last year yet only got 10% of Balon d'or votes in comparison to Messi's 40%.

Top marks to the whole of the UK who voted for Leo btw.

F

Flavia

Suprised Ribery won by the margain he did, as for the Balon d'or, Messi will win provided he does what he usually does and performs like no one else on this planet can, he just needs to stay fit. It has a different voting criteria (as far as I'm aware anyway), Is based over the year unlike UEFA best player which is the past season and diferent voting format that will favour the best player individually. (as im sure you all know)

Uefa best player award, formerly known as Balon d'or has always favoured team success;

06 Cannavaro world cup
07 Kaka CL
08 Ronaldo CL
09 Messi CL
10 No award
11 Messi CL
12 Iniesta Euros
13 Ribery CL

Iniesta won it last year yet only got 10% of Balon d'or votes in comparison to Messi's 40%.

The Uefa award just had it's 3rd edition, it has nothing to do with the ballon d'or. The Fifa best player of the year award was one thing(the ones you posted are from fifa, apart from iniesta and ribery), the Ballon d'or from France Football magazine another, separated. They unified the award in 2010, naming it Fifa Ballon d'or.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

06 Cannavaro world cup
07 Kaka CL
08 Ronaldo CL
09 Messi CL
10 No award
11 Messi CL
12 Iniesta Euros
13 Ribery CL

In terms of voting criteria, what's the difference between the Ballon D'Or and the UEFA best player?

Does the Ballon D'Or also name three finalists like the UEFA one does?

AzaR

The Uefa award just had it's 3rd edition, it has nothing to do with the ballon d'or. The Fifa best player of the year award was one thing(the ones you posted are from fifa, apart from iniesta and ribery), the Ballon d'or from France Football magazine another, separated. They unified the award in 2010, naming it Fifa Ballon d'or.

I'm aware of this but both the Balon d'or (old one) and UEFA best player are/were both decided by journalists only, only difference the number of journalists being 96 instead of 52, so you can use it to see a pattern of how they usually vote.

The point I was trying to make was that with the voting panel as journalists in the past (old balon d'or and UEFA best player) they have favoured players who have won the most prestigious silverware.

So in 2010 I'd have had my house on Sneidjer to win it had they dont the award.

@Luftsalag

166 countries vote (pretty sure it's 166 anyway)
Coach, Captain and Journalist from each country chooses their top 3 players. (able to choose from any player they want)
1st place choice gets 5 points - 2nd place 3 points - 3rd place 1 point
There will be a shortlist of 3 but the winner will already be chosen when this shortlist is announced
Based on the calendar year, so this year will be based on 2013

UEFA Best player has the shortlist chosen and then the journalists vote on who they want to win once the 3 players are announced.
52 journalists based only in europe vote, so not worldwide.
Based on the previous season.

edit - Also, people who voted for each country will be different for Balon d'or e.g guy who voted for Albania in uefa best player award last year was different to guy who voted in Balon d'or.

Feel free to correct me if any of that is wrong.

Anyway, hoping he's fit for the game against Valencia on the weekend, big game, could do with a big performance from him.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Thanks AzaR, so there won't be any live vote for the winner for Ballon D'Or? When will the short list be announced? December?

Messi staying fit is the key. I pray that he will.

F

Flavia

Thanks AzaR, so there won't be any live vote for the winner for Ballon D'Or? When will the short list be announced? December?

I'm curious, is this the 1st time you're following the bdor?

AzaR

There will be a longer shortlist (forgot about this to be honest with you) announced around about October which last year had 23 players, would assume it would be the same again. The 3 players with the highest amount of votes from these 23 will then be announced about a month later near the end of November/start of December (the winner will already be decided at this time). The Gala will then be early January.

And yh I think Messi staying fit will be key.

Interesting to see you can still get Ribery to win it at 16/1, but bookies have those odds for a reason :p

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/bal.../98/07/84/fboawardmenplayer2012-bycountry.pdf

votes cast in 2012 btw

J

jiopi

I'm aware of this but both the Balon d'or (old one) and UEFA best player are/were both decided by journalists only, only difference the number of journalists being 96 instead of 52, so you can use it to see a pattern of how they usually vote.
It's not the only difference. The voting method is greatly different, and I don't think Ribery would have won old Ballon d'Or.

Old Ballon d'Or voting was: choose 5 best players, 1st 5 points, 2nd 4 points and so on.
UEFA Best Player: 1st round choose 3 best players, 1st 5 points, 2nd 3 points and so on.

At this point they are pretty much the same, and will produce the same results, as predicted Messi, Ribery and Cronaldo would have been probably the old Ballon d'Or Top 3 also.

But here comes the major difference and how the UEFA Best player is faulty. It takes 3 best players, and then everybody votes again. But at this point there is usually no team mates to steal points, which gives no penalty from team performances. And all the rest Bayern votes got moved to Ribery, even if they originally didn't think he was the best Bayern player. Even if player doesn't shine in the team, he could end up winning with great margin.

UEFA Best Player 1. Ribery 2. Messi 3. Cronaldo
Old Ballon d'Or most probably would have been: 1. Messi 2. Ribery 3. Cronaldo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans