J

jiopi

His second chest assist

Messi%20chest%20assists%20Aguero%20Paraguay.gif

Messi%20pass%20Di%20Maria%20Paraguay.gif

Messi%20pass%20Paraguay.gif

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I was really disappointed with Argentina's performance Tuesday night. Except for a few moments of brilliance which they capitalized on, they played like crap, I felt. There was no midfield to speak of, the passing was bad, there simply wasn't any concerted effort from defense to offense. Too often their wayward passes handed the ball to the Paraguayans, and the Argentinians let hosts pound on their defense, totally unnecessarily. This kind of performance will take there nowhere in the World Cup.

I thought Messi had a so so game too, wasn't as engaged as I'd like him to be, I thought. I was very happy that he shook off the "yoke" (if you will) of the missed penalty from the Super Cup game by scoring two PK goals. But other than that, he was not very effective. His pass to Di Maria was very sleek, unfortunately the latter's shot was blocked last second by the Paraguayan defender before it went in. In addition, I was hoping Messi, as the captain would instill some sort of calm and order when Argentina was outplayed by Paraguay for like 10 minutes or so.

Kerrybai

I was really disappointed with Argentina's performance Tuesday night. Except for a few moments of brilliance which they capitalized on, they played like crap, I felt. There was no midfield to speak of, the passing was bad, there simply wasn't any concerted effort from defense to offense. Too often their wayward passes handed the ball to the Paraguayans, and the Argentinians let hosts pound on their defense, totally unnecessarily. This kind of performance will take there nowhere in the World Cup.

I thought Messi had a so so game too, wasn't as engaged as I'd like him to be, I thought. I was very happy that he shook off the "yoke" (if you will) of the missed penalty from the Super Cup game by scoring two PK goals. But other than that, he was not very effective. His pass to Di Maria was very sleek, unfortunately the latter's shot was blocked last second by the Paraguayan defender before it went in. In addition, I was hoping Messi, as the captain would instill some sort of calm and order when Argentina was outplayed by Paraguay for like 10 minutes or so.

I would largely agree with that. However it should be noted that Paraguay had nothing to play for and Argentina only needed 1 point. Once they took a 2-1 lead it could be argued that they relaxed.

They will need to be much better than that for the world cup though.

J

jiopi

Once they took a 2-1 lead it could be argued that they relaxed.
I taught that was pretty obvious. Argentina could have scored 8, Di Maria had 1on1, Palacio with a empty net and Lavezzi with chances. There was absolutely no need to give 100% of 90min in game like this. The defense was actually pretty impressive, when midfield didn't protect them as much. Mind you the defense will still make or break Argentina in WC.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Argentina will need luck. Their defense is not really good. if they play their hearts out, and avoid playing Brazil, they have a great chance. But the game against paraguay wasn't the best display, because there wasn't much to play for the home team. They were missing some key players too, higuain and masch.

J

jiopi

All my :wub: to Messi, but Argentina top Germany in FIFA world ranking? No way.
They are based on accumulated points, and Argentina is currently beating highly ranked teams in WCQ where as Germany plays mostly against scrubs, which will effect on score I think.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Argentina will need luck. Their defense is not really good. if they play their hearts out, and avoid playing Brazil, they have a great chance. But the game against paraguay wasn't the best display, because there wasn't much to play for the home team. They were missing some key players too, higuain and masch.

Yeah I know. I actually thought their defense Tuesday night was quite decent, one of the bright spots.

It is just that they had such a long period of time (more than a week) to prepare for that game, I thought they'd have performed a lot better than they did. The lack of organized/concerted efforts in their game play really disppointed me, come on Sabella!!

Just hoping both Messi and his Argie teammates will step up their game, really wishing Messi would win a WC finally. But oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans