10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrybai

Or maybe he just had an early peak to his career in terms of speed and dribbling and he is over that now. Instead just uses his incredible football brain to get into positions to score.

If you go back a few pages Jipoi posted his dribbling stats. He dribbles just as much as he used to so he certainly still has his speed etc. Right now he appears to be reserving his explosiveness for when it matters.

Ritchie

He scored three good goals, was unlucky not to score a 4th with his knee and a few times he was there to be set-up but for some bad decision making, which will always frustrate a goalscorer. We have become Messi dependant when he's on the pitch but that's because he'll always win you games. Give him the ball and he'll score.

Ritchie

+1

Its crazy. Gotta love the guy. As great as he's been, he still hasn't seemed to reach the heights he reached in the 2011-12 season, where he was just godlike all season. The crazy thing is, as great as he's been, we know that he still has room to improve. I just wonder what it'll take for him to bring that level out consistently again.

He was saving it for the run-in last season but got injured against PSG. Look at the Milan return game. He scored in 20 league games in a row until he got injured.

Bayern wouldn't have destroyed Barca like that if Messi was fit.

J

jiopi

1379533899_843788_1379534952_album_grande.jpg

1379530331_155849_1379532786_album_normal.jpg

footyfan

Calma, calma
Nice free kick.

He's a different player, he has to be - no other choice. People need to move on, accept the changes and appreciate him because he's no less of a player today. It's actually amazing that he has been bringing something new to his game every year

CatalinR10

I think he's keeping beast mode for the WC , as he should do. Since he scored so far 9 goals in 4 games , I don't have a problem with him being ,,lazy " :lol: .

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Or maybe he just had an early peak to his career in terms of speed and dribbling and he is over that now. Instead just uses his incredible football brain to get into positions to score.

I think that is a plausible explanation. Perhaps Messi has indeed already peaked, ability-wise?

J

jiopi

I think that is a plausible explanation. Perhaps Messi has indeed already peaked, ability-wise?
He's arguably the football's best dribbler, scorer and possibly also creator, ever. What else could he possibly develop, other than hone his particular skills and be as effective as possible?

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He's arguably the football's best dribbler, scorer and possibly also creator, ever. What else could he possibly develop, other than hone his particular skills and be as effective as possible?

Joining, so you are saying Messi can not get any better than he is today, the question is how long he will maintain his current top form, right?

Messi is as sharp as ever, the way he manages to reach a seemingly impossible ball (remember dat milan assist..) or work his way out in tight areas is mind blowing.
He does indeed seem to refrain on long dribbling sequences, although he still pulls one or two off every game.

Maria

Still doesn't stop plenty of people here from criticizing him every game when he doesn't immediately produced or plays to perfection.
Not only that, but we have to hear stuff like:"he has already peaked", "he's declining" etc..meanwhile, if you say this about other players, who are have been playing badly for atleast half a year(in Iniesta's case) and more than a year(in Xavi's case) you hear that they just need to pick up their form or that you're exagerating. Now it's clear that this wasn't a good year for Messi(especially because of his injuries), but I think it's ridiculous to see him so criticized while we are constantly finding excuses for players like Xavi and Iniesta.

Great that he scored 3 goals, but his overall performance havent been great this season.

Whose overall performance has been great this season? I can only think of VV and Neymar(but only because he is the new guy, because by his standards he hasn't been great either).

+1

Its crazy. Gotta love the guy. As great as he's been, he still hasn't seemed to reach the heights he reached in the 2011-12 season, where he was just godlike all season. The crazy thing is, as great as he's been, we know that he still has room to improve. I just wonder what it'll take for him to bring that level out consistently again.

In the 2011-2012 Messi has reached the heights of scoring only one goal in the games away from home in the league until 22 January 2012..it was quite a record for him, only topped by his performance in the CL against Chelsea.

Maria

Carles Domènech ‏@Carles_Domenech 18h
Lliga + Champions
Messi / Neymar
Balls recovered: 14 / 15
Balls lost: 26 / 24
Fouls received: 5 / 17
Goals scored: 9 / 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans