10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

coura

Banned
I think there´s no doubts that Messi is the best barça player ever.
Edit : Those stats from Maradona are with Barça? It´s Napoli. You can´t compare those golden times at Serie A. Ther were 4-5 top clubs with awesome defenders and teams all around. With Maradona did in Italy is beyond words.

Last edited:
J

jiopi

I think there´s no doubts that Messi is the best barça player ever.
Edit : Those stats from Maradona are with Barça? It´s Napoli. You can´t compare those golden times at Serie A. Ther were 4-5 top clubs with awesome defenders and teams all around. With Maradona did in Italy is beyond words.
Of course they are, and yes you can, it's all relative statistics.

J

jiopi

Jorge Valdano (WC86 Argentina) - "Messi is Maradona every day. It is June 1986 for 5 years now. The last 5 years, Messi is the Maradona of the World Cup in Mexico."

J

jiopi

Turning a crap Napoli into a champions in the best league, by far, in those days is nothing short of remarkable. Football is more than statistics.
I always get amused when people talk in nostalgic way or without experience and knowledge. Napoli in that time was Europe's biggest spending club, and Maradona wasn't even considered as Napoli's best player at the time they won the first Scudetto. He truly carried Napoli in 89-90 though, and coincidentally he was then considered the best player of the team.

spark

Turning a crap Napoli into a champions in the best league, by far, in those days is nothing short of remarkable. Football is more than statistics.

Preben Elkjaer did it first with an even smaller team but its forgotten by history and Maradona's achievement painted as unique.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Preben Elkjaer did it first with an even smaller team but its forgotten by history and Maradona's achievement painted as unique.

C'mon you can't actually be comparing the two achievements. I know I'm talking about Serie A campaigns that took place before I was even born, but Verona can be compared to Wolfsburg winning the league in 2009 or Blackburn in 1995, it's a one-off. They never again finished in the top 3 nor did they ever do well in Europe or in any cups.

During Maradona's time, Napoli won Serie A twice, were runners up twice, won the Coppa Italia once, runners up once and won the UEFA Cup once.

No wonder Elkjaer's league winning campaign got relegated to history. Do you think people will remember Edin Dzeko and Grafite?

Kerrybai

I always get amused when people talk in nostalgic way or without experience and knowledge. Napoli in that time was Europe's biggest spending club, and Maradona wasn't even considered as Napoli's best player at the time they won the first Scudetto. He truly carried Napoli in 89-90 though, and coincidentally he was then considered the best player of the team.

Indeed, he had some great players around him, from my knowledge Careca was the star of the 88/89 campaign.

J

jiopi

Indeed, he had some great players around him, from my knowledge Careca was the star of the 88/89 campaign.
Yeah I think so. Here is example average La Stampa ratings

for Serie A 1988-89

6,73 F. Baresi (Milan), Júnior (Pescara)
6,62 Brehme (Inter)
6,61 Zenga (Inter)
6,59 Berti (Inter)
6,56 Dunga (Fiorentina)
6,47 Matthäus (Inter), Careca (Napoli)
6,45 Bergomi (Inter), Völler (Roma)
6,44 Terraneo (Lecce)
6,41 R. Ferri & Serena (Inter), Prytz (Atalanta)
6,39 Mílton (Como)
6,38 Ferrara (Napoli), Matteoli (Inter)
6,36 Vierchowod (Sampdoria), Baroni (Lecce), Manfredonia (Roma)
6,34 Tacconi (Juventus)
6,31 Pazzagli (Ascoli), Pagliuca (Sampdoria)
6,30 Fusi (Napoli)
6,28 Rijkaard (Milan)
6,27 Fortunato (Atalanta)
6,25 Ancelotti (Milan).

J

jiopi

For reference La Gazzetta Dello Sport ratings for

86-87

9 Ferrara
8.5 Bagni
8 Maradona

89-90