10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aki13

Don't know why people are quite so negative. He is in a real dip in form. These things happen in football.

There are many things that could lead him to this poor form.

Maybe he needs dropping to show we can win without him and he needs to raise his game.

Or maybe he peeked early and now is past his best and struggling for form as he ages. Not everyone reaches a peak at 28. Some its 24 some its 30.

Maybe after winning all he has, he has lost interest and will fade away.

Maybe he doesn't like the coaches game plans?

Maybe he is in poor form but within a few matches might hit form again.

Or maybe his head is in the wrong place.

Who knows, but for certain people here are too desperate to remind us he is number 1 in the world. He may be the best theres been, but right know in this currant month he is not playing best in the world. Ibra, Ronaldo and probably others are at this moment playing better than him.

Sad but true. As for the ballon d'Or. For me he has a lessening chance of winning it now. This season has been blighted by injury and poor form lately, same as last year (Injuries)

I think those who vote will think others have had better years and award them the crown.

(Don't lay into me, this is my opinion only)

Kerrybai

^ its nothing to do with hitting his peak, he was superb just 3 days ago and went on all sorts of mazy runs. He's not a robot and out congested fixture list is probably taking its toll. Several of our players suffered today,

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I've actually rooted for the WC winner three times in a row, Brazil, Italy, Spain. I'll be rooting for Argentina in 2014. I'd shit my pants if it works again.

it would be us who would shit their pants if it happened man.... you are more powerful than Paul the octopus!!

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Nice post aki.
Messi just looks a bit disinterested and not quite in the game.

As Creed would say " You lost the eye of the tiger man"

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one hating to see him strolling around.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
People's impression matters. It is not like this award is having no suspense left as it will be given to Messi every year as long as he still plays. Despite the fact that Messi is widely regarded as the best player in the world, those players that have had magnificent performances will still be making a big impression on the voting audience, I think.

What I am simply saying is this: Ribery is riding on a huge wave of Bayern hype, in addition his own performance has been not too bad; CR7 is roaring ahead with goal count (which alone might not be decisive, but definitely wouldn't hurt); meanwhile Messi is in a slump at this critical time when good, eye-catching performances might swing those undecided voters (voting ends at the end of November I think). That's why I am so disheartened.

Sure, and the award is not between 3 players, but 23. You're focusing too much on those two, which is completely illogical. The only players whose fame and status is big enough to attract significantly more votes than anyone else are Messi and CR (maybe Ibra). If you think the few goals he scored more than Messi are seriously 'making an impressipn' despite 5 of them being penalties and his lack of trophies you're overrating him and underrating the voters' intelligence and football knowledge. Those are experienced football experts and not overreacting teenagers.
As for Bayern hype, there are 5 Bayern players nominated. To win the whole thing one would need to significantly stand out compared to the other four, and to the rest of the voters. Regarding what I just said, he's no better than the other nominees whatsoever.
Also the majority of votes comes from small African, South-American and Asian countries who don't care about UEFA events at all and who (judging from their votes in recent years) don't know anyone but Messi and CR. If you see those voting for Ribery after for years voting for thesame person, that's a whole lot of optimism for Ribery from you there. You shouldn't obsess ovee him so much though.
Also what many don't understand that the presence of Messi has completely changed this award. If you have the (or one of the) best player(s) in history around, any 'criteria' there were become irrelevant, partly. That's natural. That's why it's true when some say this is a popularity/status contest (not because Messi is a 'good boy' or has an angel image, but simply because he's the best player, period.)
And that's no optimism from me. It's just looking at how this works. I guess you will going on about this after every RM/Bayern game anyway, but it's not reasonable.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Sure, and the award is not between 3 players, but 23. You're focusing too much on those two, which is completely illogical. The only players whose fame and status is big enough to attract significantly more votes than anyone else are Messi and CR (maybe Ibra). If you think the few goals he scored more than Messi are seriously 'making an impressipn' despite 5 of them being penalties and his lack of trophies you're overrating him and underrating the voters' intelligence and football knowledge. Those are experienced football experts and not overreacting teenagers.
As for Bayern hype, there are 5 Bayern players nominated. To win the whole thing one would need to significantly stand out compared to the other four, and to the rest of the voters. Regarding what I just said, he's no better than the other nominees whatsoever.
Also the majority of votes comes from small African, South-American and Asian countries who don't care about UEFA events at all and who (judging from their votes in recent years) don't know anyone but Messi and CR. If you see those voting for Ribery after for years voting for thesame person, that's a whole lot of optimism for Ribery from you there. You shouldn't obsess ovee him so much though.
Also what many don't understand that the presence of Messi has completely changed this award. If you have the (or one of the) best player(s) in history around, any 'criteria' there were become irrelevant, partly. That's natural. That's why it's true when some say this is a popularity/status contest (not because Messi is a 'good boy' or has an angel image, but simply because he's the best player, period.)
And that's no optimism from me. It's just looking at how this works. I guess you will going on about this after every RM/Bayern game anyway, but it's not reasonable.

I don't know about other countries, but here in China (and I suspect many other countries are similar) the knowledge of football is not just limited to Messi and CR7. There are many, many folks that are well-versed in everything football. People follow European football religiously. Bayern and Ribery are very popular here, they have a big followig. let's not underestimate Ribery's influence outside of Europe.

Again, I really hope that you are right.

coura

Banned
He does not deserve the award this year. As simple as that. He does not need rest, he needs to play more to improve. He´s like a walking dead. lol

MagicianMessi

It seems he is not enjoying his game on the pitch. Yesterday he was off color. I hope he will be back to normal in the next following game because watching a Barca match without his dazzling runs is so boring.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Definitely beginning to have the feel of someone indeed pacing themselves for the WC and perhaps fearing another injury relapse...It's strange only because it's Messi and for a decade now, he's had only one speed which has been a relentless pursuit to score...Very odd to witness

raskolnikov

He is wasted at the right, doesnt get the ball as often, also seemsto be holding back a lot.
Still have faith he will regain form of course.

MMKa

Not his usual top1, but he was easily in top5 yesterday. Nice pass to Neymar but unfortunately intercepted by Alexis.

Just wanted to mention: Espanyol - Atletico 1-0. Right wing is Tata's tactic against teams defending well, and results tell it works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans