10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
To be honest, I think there are plenty of positives to take out of this disappointing situation. This is an attempt at cheering up some people who are feeling down.

Firstly, this is the best possible time for this to happen. Schedule is soft, year is ending, team is in good shape and other players are in good form to cover.

Secondly, as per above, he'll finally be forced to rest and recover properly. There is no imperative need for him to return before he has to. No important La Liga game. No important UCL game. No important Copa game. No important National Team game.

Thridly, this prolonged absence and incertitude with Messi, places more responsibility on other players, and allows them to raise up to the challenge of filling the void. Expect Neymar, Alexis and Cesc to play, play often and play well these 2 months. A soft schedule contributes to this aspect as well.

Fourthly, all this off time (caused by past injuries and current) will IMHO, benefit Messi's long term overall level in the sport. He has been going full throttle for 5 years now. No other player in the sport had played so hard, so much, and so frequently than him in that period. Had he kept up that pace, he perhaps would have hurt his future far more than a couple of muscle injuries. An off year can be an excellent rejuvenation for his body.

Fifth, once he gets pass this psychological blow, which is a real blow make no mistake, he might return with some renewed motivation and hunger he has understandably lost of late. Messi has accomplished nearly everything, and his motivation and hunger has noticeably dropped. The birth of his son has put the game on a second place in his life and as a consequence of all this, IMHO he has let some aspects of his preparations and fitness deteriorate.
All these health blows, all the people who will begin to doubt him, all the players who will take this moment to stake a claim on his titles, will without a doubt fuel and restart his drive to excel. The World Cup will be a beacon for his rejuvenation.

Lastly, and hopefully, this will allow some of us here, who have begun to take Messi for granted because for the longest time he has been as sure a thing as the sun rising, to appreciate more the undisputed miracle that is the little magician, and the unbridled genius that is his game.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
To be honest, I think there are plenty of positives to take out of this disappointing situation. This is an attempt at cheering up some people who are feeling down.

Firstly, this is the best possible time for this to happen. Schedule is soft, year is ending, team is in good shape and other players are in good form to cover.

Secondly, as per above, he'll finally be forced to rest and recover properly. There is no imperative need for him to return before he has to. No important La Liga game. No important UCL game. No important Copa game. No important National Team game.

Thridly, this prolonged absence and incertitude with Messi, places more responsibility on other players, and allows them to raise up to the challenge of filling the void. Expect Neymar, Alexis and Cesc to play, play often and play well these 2 months. A soft schedule contributes to this aspect as well.

Fourthly, all this off time (caused by past injuries and current) will IMHO, benefit Messi's long term overall level in the sport. He has been going full throttle for 5 years now. No other player in the sport had played so hard, so much, and so frequently than him in that period. Had he kept up that pace, he perhaps would have hurt his future far more than a couple of muscle injuries. An off year can be an excellent rejuvenation for his body.

Fifth, once he gets pass this psychological blow, which is a real blow make no mistake, he might return with some renewed motivation and hunger he has understandably lost of late. Messi has accomplished nearly everything, and his motivation and hunger has noticeably dropped. The birth of his son has put the game on a second place in his life and as a consequence of all this, IMHO he has let some aspects of his preparations and fitness deteriorate.
All these health blows, all the people who will begin to doubt him, all the players who will take this moment to stake a claim on his titles, will without a doubt fuel and restart his drive to excel. The World Cup will be a beacon for his rejuvenation.

Lastly, and hopefully, this will allow some of us here, who have begun to take Messi for granted because for the longest time he has been as sure a thing as the sun rising, to appreciate more the undisputed miracle that is the little magician, and the unbridled genius that is his game.

Well written and all good and valid points.

Just not so sure about (4) though. Depending on his personal characters, Messi might get out of this as a stronger person, or he could be consumed by the psychological blow, the uncertainties and all the negativity surrounding it.

Be strong, Leo. You can do it.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Well written and all good and valid points.

Just not so sure about (4) though. Depending on his personal characters, Messi might get out of this as a stronger person, or he could be consumed by the psychological blow, the uncertainties and all the negativity surrounding it.

Be strong, Leo. You can do it.

Well all evidence points to a positive outcome. Messi has faced physical hurdles and roadblocks since he was young and all throughout his life, and he has become what he is in spite of all that. There is no reason to think he cannot overcome this as well, moreso when these recent setbacks really pale in comparison with what he had to endure and overcome as a young man.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Well, it was clear he was not 100% and despite an excellent performance against AC, it was still not the usual Messi...closer but not the Leo we are accustomed to...So I started to think it was obviously not just physical but mental...Perhaps, if the Sport article on the Captain's meeting was true, the players who command the most respect in the squad attempted to see what had Messi looking like he wasn't himself...And perhaps it was the fact that he was unable to recapture his fitness that lingered with the player's head

Whatever the reasons, there are issues to address for both the player & the club...How to get Messi healthy and keep him that way...Will it involve getting Brau back on the case and reverting back to the regime he had under Pep or will they attempt something new?

JamDav1982

Some over reactions on here!! Reminds me of the hysteria when Princess Diana died!

Need to keep it in perspective, Messi is going to be out for two months and part of that will be covered by the winter break,

There clearly has been something wrong with him this season, whether mental or physical who knows but this complete break at the most ideal time of the season can give him the best chance to get it all sorted.

Djab

I was optimistic about his injury and was thinking that he would be out just for 2 weeks or so and could be back after International break. Hope he comes more powerful in 2014!:messi:
I noticed that every time he gets injured and comes back from injury after some weeks, we hope he goes injury free throughout the season but every time he injures himself over and over again.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Last season, I would have been worried with this injury, but now I just shrug my shoulders because the team isn't dependent on him anymore. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and his injury doesn't worsen like Alba's did.

Hellsangel

I'm hoping this won't be some turning point in his career. :s Feels like forever now since we've seen a fully fit Messi play week in week out.
It's a good thing however that he won't be missing a lot of big games. CL is ok for now and we should be able to cope in La Liga without him although we can't count on him bailing us out. The extra rest might come in handy later on even if Messi never was the player who needed rest to perform.
I just hope we don't rush him back immediately and that Leo himself is honest to the doctors.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I'm hoping this won't be some turning point in his career. :s Feels like forever now since we've seen a fully fit Messi play week in week out.
It's a good thing however that he won't be missing a lot of big games. CL is ok for now and we should be able to cope in La Liga without him although we can't count on him bailing us out. The extra rest might come in handy later on even if Messi never was the player who needed rest to perform.
I just hope we don't rush him back immediately and that Leo himself is honest to the doctors.

My fear as well. They have got to find the root cause of all these muscle injuries and put and end to them. Messi must not be allowed to become Glassi or Adriano 2.0, as someone said.

As long as he is healthy and fit, he can overcome anything else.

Mitchell1978

I think ever since the injury in April he has come back too soon from injury, not giving his body enough time to get back to 100 %. I hope now he take his time to get back to 100 %, so everybody should be very patient (including the fans and the media), and not start complaining when he comes back from injury that he doesn't start scoring hattricks straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans