10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Fascinating read, thanks Flavia. Sounds like Messi might have deviated from his strict diet under Guardiola. Also he was reportedly not having a lot of confidence in Brau any more?

Messi needs to understand that he needs to do his part too, as great as Brau or any trainer is.

This does provide some beacons of hope. As long as both Messi and our medical and training department are serious and disciplined about it, this can be fixed.

CatalinR10

BYx18WZIUAAaNen.jpg:large

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Look it's not being negative but there is one truth about muscle tears. It never heals 100% and the muscle is never the same. Now, I'm not saying end of career but that hamstring won't be the same as it was. My fear is that a big part of Messi's talent is that initial burst of pace, that explosion that gets him away from those marking him. Will he be able to do that exactly the same after those injuries? It's a big question

This is not true. Muscle tears are not debilitating injuries. With time, they fully heal and with exercise and fitness, the muscle can be as strong or stronger than before. They can get complicated if the tear is really deep, requiring surgery to repair, and they can create a deep vein thrombosis which could be potentially a very serious matter. However, Messi just seems to have a regular torn hamstring muscle.

The problem with these injuries is that they are tricky and stubborn. They might take longer than you expect to heal, and might even reappear when you thought they were healed up. The best way to get them patched up for good, is plenty of rest to allow muscle healing, followed up with light fitness training that increases in intensity as time goes by to return the muscle to an optimal state.

pEllee

In his early years in Barcelona, Messi had taken comfort in Argentine food, savouring steaks at his favourite restaurant in the Catalan capital - Las Cuartetas. Visits were frequent and would involve a feast of both meat and sweets. Under Guardiola, that soon stopped. Leo had previously turned his nose up at vegetables and barely touched fish. Now, they formed part of his staple diet and, each morning, he would consume a special set of vitamins prepared and left for him in a small container at the club's training ground. Every player was handed a mixture of minerals to boost their very own needs. Nothing was being left to chance.

There would be no more late nights watching Argentine football, either, with Leo learning that sleep would speed up his recuperation and allow him to take his game to an even higher plane.
[/I]

I still can't for the life of me understand how eating lots of meat would make someone more prone to injuries. It's just complete bullshit.

JamDav1982

This is not true. Muscle tears are not debilitating injuries. With time, they fully heal and with exercise and fitness, the muscle can be as strong or stronger than before. They can get complicated if the tear is really deep, requiring surgery to repair, and they can create a deep vein thrombosis which could be potentially a very serious matter. However, Messi just seems to have a regular torn hamstring muscle.

The problem with these injuries is that they are tricky and stubborn. They might take longer than you expect to heal, and might even reappear when you thought they were healed up. The best way to get them patched up for good, is plenty of rest to allow muscle healing, followed up with light fitness training that increases in intensity as time goes by to return the muscle to an optimal state.

I dont know the ins and outs of it but have heard of other explosive players who have felt that their hamstrings have gone at some point in their career and affected them there after without ever fully healing.

Stric

I remember us having similar discussions in the summer. We were all thinking how he'll finally have a good stretch of time to heal and get back into shape, and he did, and look where we are now. I'm starting to think that even with a thorough 6-month recovery, this would happen again.

JamDav1982

I remember us having similar discussions in the summer. We were all thinking how he'll finally have a good stretch of time to heal and get back into shape, and he did, and look where we are now. I'm starting to think that even with a thorough 6-month recovery, this would happen again.

I dont think he has had a 2 month break at any point has he?

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I dont know the ins and outs of it but have heard of other explosive players who have felt that their hamstrings have gone at some point in their career and affected them there after without ever fully healing.

The effect would have to be psychological, not physical. Muscles heal up and with time and training return to optimal levels.

Recurring muscle injuries however might affect a players career. This is why allowing him to fully heal is very important.

JamDav1982

The effect would have to be psychological, not physical. Muscles heal up and with time and training return to optimal levels.

Recurring muscle injuries however might affect a players career. This is why allowing him to fully heal is very important.

Maybe but I am sure I have heard Giggs say he never really opened up to full pace after his early twenties and Michael Owen said that his hamstrings were a complete mess by the time he was in his late twenties.

Barcafan 2304

Jamdav, it is true. When a muscle tears, it heals by building scar tissue to repair the damage. That's the natural healing process but the flip side is that it makes that muscle prone to re-injury. There is no such things as a complete recovery from a muscle tear

aki13

I fear for his career. Not in terms of never playing again because he clearly loves football, but in terms of never again being able to play regular long stretches in the team and thus never reaching pre 2013 levels.

Hope I am wrong but added to that the fact his mind will never forget this and he will never want to push it.

PhilS

In terms of Messi's contribution to the team, his injury won't be too problematic. The team is playing very good without him. For Messi personally though, I'm genuinly very sorry for him. It must be very tough for him to go through all this, considering how much he loves to play, and the expectations I believe he himself has on himself. I really hope he gets out of this in the best possible way, and becomes stronger than ever!

Good point, there is reason to be concerned about his emotional state. He has real problems handling not playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans