10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatalinR10

BFu4hLiCcAA0IKq.jpg:large

Y

Youngie

I think they are all captain before Messi, so what's your point? And I'm sure he could bark at Sergio.

Sergio B would eat him up.

Anyway even if Messi was captain of Barça he still couldn't "bark" at Puyol/Xavi etc. He can't do it. Only to guys like Tello & Alexis. Guys who won't answer back.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Messi can "bark" at Tello/Villa/Alexis but not at Puyol/Xavi/Busquets/Iniesta/Valdes etc.

Sergio B would eat him up.

Anyway even if Messi was captain of Barça he still couldn't "bark" at Puyol/Xavi etc. He can't do it. Only to guys like Tello & Alexis. Guys who won't answer back.

You actually don't have any evidence for that. Let me pose a different question - have you ever seen Puyol yell at Xavi? Or Xavi at Puyol? Or Valdes at Puyol? Or Puyol at Iniesta?

Or Puyol at Villa (all time Spanish top scorer)? Messi has...

If there's anyone who can get away at yelling in Barca (however unjustified) it's Messi. And that doesn't necessarily make him or anyone captain material. I agree though he's not the type to motivate others by words, he'll motivate by action,.

Last edited:
Y

Youngie

You actually don't have any evidence for that. Let me pose a different question - have you ever seen Puyol yell at Xavi? Or Xavi at Puyol? Or Valdes at Puyol? Or Puyol at Iniesta?

Or Puyol at Villa (all time Spanish top scorer)? Messi has...

If there's anyone who can get away at yelling in Barca (however unjustified) it's Messi. And that doesn't necessarily make him or anyone captain material. I agree though he's not the type to motivate others by words, he'll motivate by action,.

I have seen Puyol yell at teammates - they take him seriously. Same as Valdes.

Xavi commands respect. So does Iniesta.

And it's not just "barking" at others that makes a captain. There's also the leadership side of things.

Y

Youngie

Implying players don't take Messi seriously or that Messi doesn't command respect.

Messi doesn't "command respect" like Xavi or Puyol IMO. Sure Messi is "respected" and admired but not as a leader or figurehead (again IMO).

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
As much as I love Xavi I don't think he's an example of a good captain. Remember him watching few years back standing and laughing while 2 Barca players had a fight in training. Puyol's the only who has the capacity to calm the team when needed and to give everyone a kick in behind when they slack.

Y

Youngie

I've seen Xavi give out to Puyol before. There's a clip somewhere. Anyway as Xavi has gotten older I think he's a great captain now. The players play for him. He leads the team and (once again) commands respect.

Puyol's the only who has the capacity to calm the team when needed

I think Busquets does this too. He's the future captain IMO. Also he's quite vocal.

ShandyFFM

Messi will be the futur captain as simple as it is.. when iniesta xavi puyol and valdes arent playing.. its the normal order. Hes then the plYer onthe field with the most matches for barca. He has matured ... 25years .. he even plays betrer as captain for argentina and even in non professiobal football the best player is very often the captain because the others will look after him...

I see busi pique as the other captains along with iniesta and messi

Kerrybai

I love seeing Messi in an Argentinian shirt. They play counterattacking football which allows us to see Messi play in a much more direct role. He tends to dribble much more and is explosive from 0-90 minutes as opposed to picking and choosing his time to really go all out as Barca tend to do.

IMO he does not need success with Argentina to be considered one of the best ever, for me he is already in the top 5/top3 footballers ever. A lot of people say he needs success with Argentina to be considered the GOAT or one of the top5 etc, but I believe it is incorrect to equate success with talent. I consider Ronaldo de Lima one of the best ever despite having only moderate success at club level and losing the best of his talent after his injuries. Ronaldo could have sat on the bench at the 2002 world cup and my opinion would remain the same.

Just wanted to get that off my chest as every-time an international break comes along the 'Messi with Argentina' argument raises its ugly head.

Thankfully though Messi has 2 more good world cups left in him as well as around 3 good Copa America's. Who knows at the 2022 world cup aged 35 he may appear in a midfield role. Argentina with Messi as captain and Sabella in charge have really begun to gel in attack. On top of that several players are hitting their best age right now for Argentina so their is great hope for Messi and Argentina yet.

ShandyFFM

Yep and although a good thing they now have a rooster with 25 players.. not like maeadona did when he called up 200+ in 3 years... and although with banega and gago they have some nice posession players.. and masch can play dmf because coloccini is playing cb... only the ggoal keeper and the other cb makes me nervous...

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
As much as I love Xavi I don't think he's an example of a good captain. Remember him watching few years back standing and laughing while 2 Barca players had a fight in training. Puyol's the only who has the capacity to calm the team when needed and to give everyone a kick in behind when they slack.

Gotta say that Xavi has grown in the past few years as a leader. He's been getting more involved on and off the pitch in terms of tactics and the coaches. Not to mention that he has a knack for saying the exactly right things in front of the press. The only thing I see him missing is that tough, no BS attitude to keep control of his teammates. I hope he can get that quality in the next few years.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I love seeing Messi in an Argentinian shirt. They play counterattacking football which allows us to see Messi play in a much more direct role. He tends to dribble much more and is explosive from 0-90 minutes as opposed to picking and choosing his time to really go all out as Barca tend to do.

IMO he does not need success with Argentina to be considered one of the best ever, for me he is already in the top 5/top3 footballers ever. A lot of people say he needs success with Argentina to be considered the GOAT or one of the top5 etc, but I believe it is incorrect to equate success with talent. I consider Ronaldo de Lima one of the best ever despite having only moderate success at club level and losing the best of his talent after his injuries. Ronaldo could have sat on the bench at the 2002 world cup and my opinion would remain the same.

Just wanted to get that off my chest as every-time an international break comes along the 'Messi with Argentina' argument raises its ugly head.

Thankfully though Messi has 2 more good world cups left in him as well as around 3 good Copa America's. Who knows at the 2022 world cup aged 35 he may appear in a midfield role. Argentina with Messi as captain and Sabella in charge have really begun to gel in attack. On top of that several players are hitting their best age right now for Argentina so their is great hope for Messi and Argentina yet.

Honestly Sabella has been doing wonders for Argentina and has gotten the team to click better and better in each and every game. He knows perfectly how to utilize messi and play everyone around him to his strengths therefore creating a fluid attack. Under him, Argentina also seem to have a fairly solid defense despite a lack of world class options.

Stric

As long as we have Puyol to compare him to, Xavi will never be considered such a good leader. Puyol is by far the best and most appropriate captain figure I can think of. I can't find it at the moment, but I remember a gif where Puyol is punched/slapped in the face by an opposition player who got a yellow or something, and Puyol didn't make any reaction and every calmed everyone else done and kept them from reacting, as well. I don't think Xavi or any other of our players could maintain that attitude. Puyol is one in a million. (this was not the Ramos incident)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans