10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alik

No it doesnt mean they will be better individually but the team may benefit from less reliance on one player and more movement off the ball and pressing.

On top of that would be the funds to build a new team.

Again, not wanting Messi sold but its not as straightforward as saying Suarez and Neymar would be better individually.

I can understand that view, although I don't share it.

You have to keep suarez. We just bought him for 75m and he is a massive goal threat is used properly.

Why would people want to sell Suarez?

- He's one of the best strikers even if he's currently doing poor for number of reasons.
- You won't ever sell him for the price you bought him anyways.

Just making the point that it would make no sense to keep a striker that is older than Messi, not as good, and not even on form, whilst selling Messi.

Unless you take the view that the "team would benefit more" that JamDav was explaining.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If we sell Messi or not, in 5-6 years he will surely leave.
So, we will have to live without Messi surely one day.

If he will be unhappy in the future, then a 150 or 200M deal, really won't be the end of the world.

I do not agree.

Where do you think Messi will go after 5 or 6 years? A Messi at 33 or 34 probably won't go to any big European clubs, it just doesn't make sense.

I have no problem with Messi going back to Argentina to retire, I want him to finish his European football, his prime football with us.

I don't care if we would only sell Messi for peanuts 5 or 6 years or many years later. I'd rather keep him. Messi is a Barca legend.

Bertus

Yes. Losing Messi also means losing a lot of money. And strengthening another team. I really hope he only leaves when he gets back to Argentina.
Still:

- Which club can pay 250M without breaching the FFP and without highly weakening their team?

People like to throw solutions like "sponsors will pay", but it doesn't work like that. PSG tried to use tricks like that last summer and according to Le_Parisien and l'Equipe, they got warned it would not be allowed.

S7_MUFC

Id dont think Real or Barca have spent anything like 200m net this past couple of summers. Would need to check though.
There's a difference between being able to spend that amount and actually spending it...I'm not too aware of the financial situation of Real and Barca but their revenue is higher than our's and we can easily spend 100 million each season...Clubs with revenues north of 500 million and wage to turnover ration of around 50%-60% should be able to spend 100 million easily..

JamDav1982

There's a difference between being able to spend that amount and actually spending it...I'm not too aware of the financial situation of Real and Barca but their revenue is higher than our's and we can easily spend 100 million each season...Clubs with revenues north of 500 million and wage to turnover ration of around 50%-60% should be able to spend 100 million easily..

I disagree that Barca or Real can easily spend 100m net a season and they havent been but regardless in todays market that money doesnt even guarantee you two top class players.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I disagree with that completely.

If the time comes that it is right to sell Messi then Barca need a board strong enough to do it.

Not saying that time is now but this idea that he stay no matter what isnt healthy for the club. All decisions need to be made for the clubs best interest and thats it.

When do you think that time is?

When Messi is too old, too slow, to score, assist and direct our play?

Even when that happens, I don't see the need to sell him just to get some money back. Not everything should be valued/judged on athletic/monetary terms. What's wrong with the idea of having Messi retire at Barca?

spark

Ok.

1. either Messi has to go
2. either Xavi+Iniesta+Busi+Alves+Pique+Pedro etc
3. either all of them
= if you want a new cycle, and not living in Pep's shadow forever.

The current players won't EVER repeat Pep's success.
Accept it.

Well its not really a hard choice is it? Iniesta has been phoning it in for more than a season and Xavi is a pensioner. The less said about Alves Pedro and Pique the better.I would give away all of the players in option 2 for free, except for Busi, in order to rebuild. Why would selling the club's best player ever come before all the dead weight and parasites holding it back? The club spent 160 million this summer without moving forward, add in Neymar(and his father) from the season before and that is around or more than 250 million which was invested with nothing to show for it over the last 2 years. We have/had enough money to rebuild without selling Messi. It just depends on the approach. Having less money probably forces the club to be more creative anyway. Valencia as an example have made far better transfers in the last 5 years than when they were splashing money on the likes of Joaquin and Zigic.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
There absolutely has to be a clear out of players and should have happened last summer.

This group has reached a peak and level that no other team in history has. Led by Guardiola.

No other manager will ever measure up and can see constant conflict between players and whoever is in charge.

The only players I would 100% keep would be Busquets and a motivated Messi.

So basically every player who has reached his peak should be let go?

Perhaps some teams do that, but I don't want our Barca to be that cold.

JamDav1982

When do you think that time is?

When Messi is too old, too slow, to score, assist and direct our play?

Even when that happens, I don't see the need to sell him just to get some money back. Not everything should be valued/judged on athletic/monetary terms. What's wrong with the idea of having Messi retire at Barca?

No idea when that time comes. But when that point comes, as it has for every player who has ever played the game, then the correct decision for the club should be taken.

Unless Messi is the first to realise it.

xxxxxx

Messi won't leave in June 2015, a new board and coach will come. And with the ban, we will only weaken if he goes. But if nothing improves, I can see him leaving in 2016.

It isn't up to the board if Chelsea pay his buyout clause out.

F

Flavia

Xavi is still here :)
Sometimes the player himself sees it's time to go, as Pep did.

JamDav1982

As a group they have peaked under the greatest manager ever. That doesnt mean get rid of them al but refresh that core group.

Said earlier wouldnt want to see Busquets or Messi go. Could probably add Masch to that as well.

F

Flavia

It isn't up to the board if Chelsea pay his buyout clause out.

No, it's up to Messi. Or do you think Laporta would let this happen without talking to Leo?

But if he wants to go, he has to go. I wouldn't want any player here against his will, Messi included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans