10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotInHere

Some of us actually don't look at stats, stats in football.. Really.. Stats don't paint the whole picture in football, Messi is just a better footballer, that simple.

Paganinisrvnge

Anyone else feel like Messi's goalscoring distracts people from his overall talent? Most people heap loads of praise on Iniesta, Xavi, David Silva, Modric, etc and rightfully so but they rarely score so people focus on their overall great play. Some ignorant people must think Messi is just a poacher.

Zachary

Changing the subject a little bit here, but fun nontheless... I was one of the fans who couldn't stand Alexis' critical shortcomings and I couldn't wait for the moment we got rid of him. So, needless to say, I was pretty shocked when I read this at the Arsenal Website:"The level and consistency of his (Alexis') performances for Arsenal this season lead me to suggest that he might even be better than Lionel Messi in this moment in time". It quickly reminds me of another such incredible turn of events for a player, that of Slatan: a total rejection and subsequent transfer followed by a substantial success in their new club.... plus similarly with Thiago Alcantara (doing great at a great club, Bayern), Fabregas (left under significant criticism, now highly praised by everybody at no less than Chelsea). There's no doubt that there must be some kind of an issue with Barca and/or Barca's play style that makes the odds of success for any new player from midfield and/or forward fairly low, or at least lower than with any other club. Does this have at all to do with Messi's obvious strong influence on the field, locker room, the swimming pool... etc., etc? - Now, why didn't this guy compare Alexis' obvious success with that of Ronaldo's instead of Messi's?...was Ronaldo too much higher than Messi so he didn't want to "exaggerate"...? LOL..

Kohe321

You know the thread has derailed when someone with 14 posts since 2011 awakens from his slumber to get us back on track. :lol:

To answer your question Zachary, I think it has to do with factors that are pretty unique to Barcelona. Our style is very different from most other clubs, new players and especially those from a different league often need a significant amount of time to settle in. Didn't Alexis say he almost had to "re-learn how he played football" here? Or was that someone else? Add to that extremely impatient and highly critical fans and media that expect perfection at every pass, and you know why it's hard to really make it here. Now, Barca does usually sign world class players ("cough" though one small exception was made this summer "cough"), and those that somehow never really get into the groove at Barca usually move on to a different club where they get to show their class. Case in point: Alexis Sanchez.

Oh, and Bertus is consistently one of the best posters in here and among the users whose posts I always take time to read. Keep it up buddy! :beer2:

Last edited:

Zachary

You are right to a certain extent. That was surely true back when Barca had mastered the famous tiki-taka. Little short passes (mostly backwards and to the sides, which made the game boring), which took a lot of practice and getting used to one another. Then, a new guy comes in and, regardless of how good, how skillful he may be, it would take a lot of time to achieve the "tiki-taka standard".
Most teams (especially the smaller ones) soon learned to just let'm "kick the ball around" and debacles began to happen. Luckily, that's but a memory now and Barca is playing a totally different style and Neymar's and Suarez's presence certainly doesn't hurt. Neither had difficulty to fit. Suarez may not (yet) score like in the Premier League, but he's doing great things that help to develope plays (and Messi to score...). Neymar, man, I enjoy his play, immaterial if we win or lose. He's a genious.

BarcaVillain

Neymar, man, I enjoy his play, immaterial if we win or lose. He's a genious.

A minor hijack of the Messi thread but agree completely. Doesn't always come off, but what a player he is to watch. Just to bring it back on topic, the form Messi is in is mesmeric. I think having two direct players playing alongside him is making all the difference, giving him the space he needs. I would worry slightly against the best sides that he might get isolated playing on the right, not materialised as yet though.

BlueStripe

Whenever I watch Messi I am always most impressed by his decision making and passing ability. I don't know how many better passers there are out there, but it can't be many. His vision, passing, and decision making are why he is going to stay a top player for longer than Ronaldo imo.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Messi isolated on the right (from time to time) would actually not be such a bad thing. We saw that a couple of times in the last games. Then Busi switched sides and Leo had a 1vs1 opportunity against the opposing fullback.
Have mercy for the guy who has to defend him in such a situation.

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
It's impossible for messi to be locked down on the right.
That's because only 2 people at most can mark him, which is a small number for him to overcome.
When he plays in middle it's easier to overwhelm him with 3-4 players all the time.
So I think that moving him to the right now is a very good choice by enrique, it revitalized our game.

Messi10

only been 2 games in 2015 yet Messi gave 2 10/10 performances in them............. he only human surely he cant make it 3/3

Caps

You are right to a certain extent. That was surely true back when Barca had mastered the famous tiki-taka. Little short passes (mostly backwards and to the sides, which made the game boring), which took a lot of practice and getting used to one another. Then, a new guy comes in and, regardless of how good, how skillful he may be, it would take a lot of time to achieve the "tiki-taka standard".
Most teams (especially the smaller ones) soon learned to just let'm "kick the ball around" and debacles began to happen. Luckily, that's but a memory now and Barca is playing a totally different style and Neymar's and Suarez's presence certainly doesn't hurt. Neither had difficulty to fit. Suarez may not (yet) score like in the Premier League, but he's doing great things that help to develope plays (and Messi to score...). Neymar, man, I enjoy his play, immaterial if we win or lose. He's a genious.

:banghead::facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans