10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

I'm not sure, if we could keep Messi happy without them then it's worth giving them to Suarez. When a number 9 hits a bad spell they often have a penalty to keep them ticking over, or to interrupt a 'drought'. It could do his confidence a lot of good when he hits bad spells, and it would make him our main goalscorer, or our star if you will.

I'm not sure this would make Messi happy.

Kerrybai

I'm not sure this would make Messi happy.

Maybe not, the past would suggest otherwise... but he's a father now so maybe he is a different. Either way Lucho needs to look at this option as penalties, particularly ones under pressure are not his strong suit.

anguy

I'm not sure, if we could keep Messi happy without them then it's worth giving them to Suarez. When a number 9 hits a bad spell they often have a penalty to keep them ticking over, or to interrupt a 'drought'. It could do his confidence a lot of good when he hits bad spells, and it would make him our main goalscorer, or our star if you will.

Suarez wasn't even taking penalties at Liverpool where he was top superstar. I guess there was a reason for that. So why do you want him to take penalties in Barca? Neymar seems to be no 2 penalty taker, I guess there's reason for that too, so he should be the one, if not Messi.

doublehh03

I think Messi still need to take our pens after some thinking. He was very good at it maybe he will get it back.

He will. I'm sure he's working on it as we speak. A player of his caliber who has high expectations of himself will be extremely pissed with the repeated failures.

footyfan

Calma, calma
It's a huge relief to see him play like this after last season. He reminded me of teenage Messi with some of those dribbles.

I remember having extensive discussions last season about Messi on this forum. It seemed like people had forgotten how good he used to play in previous seasons, excusing his clearly below-par performances as 'nothing happened, still the same', 'still recovering from injury', etc. By the time of the Atletico CL fiasco and the Pinto distance covered comparisons, the pendulum swung wildly to the other extreme - 'he will never be the same', 'past his peak' etc. I was kinda on this side, obviously with a more moderate opinion, because I genuinely thought he would not be able to recreate his 2012 level again, let alone 2010/2011 level which is my favorite Messi. But he's proven me wrong massively since the Sevilla record game, I haven't enjoyed watching Messi so much in years. Not only do I like him more than 2012 Messi, but I will even concede that he's at 2010/2011 level if he keeps this form up into the latter stages of the season.

It's obviously difficult to isolate the factors that have contributed to him regaining that level. Is it just the lack of World Cup burden, or does it also have to do with Lucho's positional shift, or does it also have to do with Suarez's presence and Neymar's explosion? Change in diet? He's looking a fair bit leaner and more agile than last season, you can tell not just from his body and movement but also his face. Or maybe he is improving the economy-of-movement style and getting more and more from less. Whatever's the case, long may it continue, we only have 5-6 years more of Messi to watch and I don't want them going down the drain due to incompetence of the coaching staff or teammates.

Stric

Recently Messi let Neymar take a penalty and he missed. Naturally afterwards everyone said Messi should have taken it. That's the way it goes. Just because Messi misses sometimes and doesn't have a 90+% conversion ratio, doesn't mean he shouldn't take them. He's still by far the best penalty taker we have. Recently he's been through a slump and his record changed significantly, but it's nothing that would necessitate having other, probably less competent shooters take the penalties.

Ghosting

Suarez wasn't even taking penalties at Liverpool where he was top superstar. I guess there was a reason for that. So why do you want him to take penalties in Barca? Neymar seems to be no 2 penalty taker, I guess there's reason for that too, so he should be the one, if not Messi.

Yes there was a reason it's called Steven Gerrard, teams have hierarchies when Suarez came in Gerrard was main man and captain and took the penalties and Gerrard mostly scored and so there was never any reason to change. It's why Balotelli isn''t no 1 taker now for liverpool.

Butaan4barca

People are making too big a deal out of messi missing a penalty. Who cares if he missed the penalty, its just luck anyway.

The real big thing is his diving header which was an open goal.

But this will only matter if Man city somehow beat us at the nou camp.

hello ? 1-2 away ? or 1-3 away ?

anguy

Yes there was a reason it's called Steven Gerrard, teams have hierarchies when Suarez came in Gerrard was main man and captain and took the penalties and Gerrard mostly scored and so there was never any reason to change. It's why Balotelli isn''t no 1 taker now for liverpool.
t

Or he simply has problem with scoring of penalties, maybe he's not that effective from the spot. He wouldn't be the first great striker, who's not great penalty taker. We don't really know... And in our hierarchy Neymar is confirmed to be our the second man. Do you believe it's because of effectiveness in training, or are there other non football reasons?

raskolnikov

Imagine how different all reactions would be when he just head in that simple follow up chance, or had just converted the penalty.

All in all Neymar is a better penalty taker than Messi, probably the only one in our team, we dont have many 85%+ guys, if Messi doesnt improve from the spot let someone else take them next season.

L

linetty

Imagine how different all reactions would be when he just head in that simple follow up chance, or had just converted the penalty.

All in all Neymar is a better penalty taker than Messi, probably the only one in our team, we dont have many 85%+ guys, if Messi doesnt improve from the spot let someone else take them next season.
Not entirely sure if Neymar is a better penalty taker but I'm sure as hell I wouldn't be able to bear with his clownish run up every time. Not even cool nor efficient. In my opinion: Messi should still take them, no matter what.

‏@Barca19stats
Messi is the first Barça player to reach 3000+ minutes of play this season

BreakableDistinctCooter.gif

Last edited:

raskolnikov

I cant find the stat right now but from memory Neymar had a decent/good conversion rate for Santos/Brazil.

that 3000+ minutes proves Enrique should grow some balls and bench him every now and then otherwise he will be worn out and walking around during the most important games in april. That resting in games argument doesnt Always hold up.

That gif is awesome, he killed Silva there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans