10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly

11017707_1025878310774184_7964396473301636717_n.jpg

Thiago looks like Mummy, Daddy you are embarassing me...why do you have to be screaming?

Morten

Nice nutmeg there, but i have seen that type of thing done quite regulary without making it such a big deal. Messi had a great game, but sometimes even he recieve to much praise at times.

Kohe321

I can't recall last time I saw someone do a controlled nutmeg like that right infront of their own box, like it was nothing. That is what makes it more spectacular, and not something that is "done quite regularly". Of course nutmegs happen on the other side of the pitch more often. Messi does nutmegs like no other though, somehow he times them perfectly and has made them a regular part of his dribling repertoire.

raskolnikov

Even more because he finished it with an excellent chip. Come to think of it, he has had several nutmeg-shot-goals.
Probably the best in the world at it, doesnt do it to humiliate opponents but because its effective, Suarez is number 2 at least.

Come to think of it, he has had several nutmeg-shot-goals.

There was a great one just this season, assisted by suarez, can't remember which game.
Also the one vs Pastore was like the one yesterday, rarely attempted because the risk/reward is so disproportionate, but messi being goat changes those odds.

Kerrybai

Suarez wasn't even taking penalties at Liverpool where he was top superstar. I guess there was a reason for that. So why do you want him to take penalties in Barca? Neymar seems to be no 2 penalty taker, I guess there's reason for that too, so he should be the one, if not Messi.

Gerrard too them. Suarez should take them for us over Neymar as he is our number 9 and has seniority over Neymar.

t

Or he simply has problem with scoring of penalties, maybe he's not that effective from the spot. He wouldn't be the first great striker, who's not great penalty taker. We don't really know... And in our hierarchy Neymar is confirmed to be our the second man. Do you believe it's because of effectiveness in training, or are there other non football reasons?

Where did you hear he was no effective at them? He is well able to take a penalty.

Looks like they are watching his miss vs City.

I remember having extensive discussions last season about Messi on this forum. It seemed like people had forgotten how good he used to play in previous seasons, excusing his clearly below-par performances as 'nothing happened, still the same', 'still recovering from injury', etc. By the time of the Atletico CL fiasco and the Pinto distance covered comparisons, the pendulum swung wildly to the other extreme - 'he will never be the same', 'past his peak' etc. I was kinda on this side, obviously with a more moderate opinion, because I genuinely thought he would not be able to recreate his 2012 level again, let alone 2010/2011 level which is my favorite Messi. But he's proven me wrong massively since the Sevilla record game, I haven't enjoyed watching Messi so much in years. Not only do I like him more than 2012 Messi, but I will even concede that he's at 2010/2011 level if he keeps this form up into the latter stages of the season.

It's obviously difficult to isolate the factors that have contributed to him regaining that level. Is it just the lack of World Cup burden, or does it also have to do with Lucho's positional shift, or does it also have to do with Suarez's presence and Neymar's explosion? Change in diet? He's looking a fair bit leaner and more agile than last season, you can tell not just from his body and movement but also his face. Or maybe he is improving the economy-of-movement style and getting more and more from less. Whatever's the case, long may it continue, we only have 5-6 years more of Messi to watch and I don't want them going down the drain due to incompetence of the coaching staff or teammates.

I don't think people had forgotten, people like myself just wouldn't accept his apparent decline due to stubbornness. I imagine the passing of the World Cup has refocused his mind, perhaps also losing the league while Madrid won the CL has given him new motivation, maybe even a desire to reclaim the Ballon Dor.
Nice nutmeg there, but i have seen that type of thing done quite regulary without making it such a big deal. Messi had a great game, but sometimes even he recieve to much praise at times.

Who's making a big deal? It's a sweet nutmeg in front of his own box, in fact can you show me a few other clips this season of players doing that in front of their own box? For the record there is no better player at nutmegs than Messi, and I don't see how a nutmeg can be overrated, it's just a piece of skill or luck, not a player or something that can be judged.

Last edited:
L

linetty

Messi takes penalties pretty well...he just has a brainfart from time to time, for some reason I can't explain.

Kuchi

He's a top 10% penalty taker for sure, but not top 5, or better said not a clinical cold blooded executioner and maybe that's the reason fatigue/pressure gets to him sometimes (Chelsea Match, yesterday). Plus he's been taking them since forever and keepers tend to study that sort of thing...who knows.

Just for the fun of it, i would like to see Pique or Masche take one, they'd be great under pressure and keepers wont know what to expect:))

#Piqueforpenalties#
#Maschepenaltyboss#
#throwsuarezabone#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans