10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
A winger will be in serious disadvantage having to quickly react and track a bombing fullback, that's advantage Barca.

But how is that different from having bombarding fullbacks in our normal formation? The lack of them having a fullback and the lack of us having a winger cancels each other out, so why is this situation suddenly so much better for us?

By having the CF occupying the CBs deep

Why would they be deeper? Like, I'm trying to visualize random moments of the game when we were in the attacking third, and I just don't see why the nine would drag the defenders back that much. Maybe a disorganized defense would mess up to that, but there was a reason Villa was poor in so many games and called the "offside king". Because the defenders just didn't bother to go out of their way to mark him and he often didn't end up hurting anyone.

By taking away the clear target for the fullback, you create confusion that you can exploit. Fullback either has to come closer to the edge of the box to get into play thus leaving the wing exposed, or he stays in the wing and is taken out of the play. You force him to make decisions and create opportunities for mistakes.

Again, for a team with poor organization, perhaps. But a manager will spot these weaknesses and adapt to them and tell the fullback where to go. Maybe you'll get a few minutes where the defense doesn't really know what to do, but that'll happen with any change in formation, not just specifically adding a number nine.

All of that being said, I feel like this is a bit of a useless discussion. We're just mentioning hypothetical scenarios that have no guarantee of happening and so until a number nine is tried with Messi, we won't know what happens. Maybe they'll experiment with Dongou in a few years, maybe they won't, but I feel like saying "well I think this person will go here" "well I think this person will go here" isn't really accomplishing anything.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
This is the anatomy of teams sitting back on Barca.

- They close the gap between defending lines. The space between the back 4 or 5 and the midfield 4 or 5 is almost nonexistent. There is no space to operate between lines and takes away Barca's biggest strength which is short passing and movement between lines.

-Because they pack the middle and close lines, fullbacks tuck in and allow Barca wingers to be open. They concede space to cross because they know Barca have only Messi in front and no size forward. The space in the wing is not particularly exploited by our wingers because aside from Neymar, none of out wingers are particularly good dribblers in tight spaces.

At this point, our wingers are useless and it is only Messi against the world through the middle. We've seen this time and time and time again.

How do you counter?

- Wingers are useless, take one off for a CF. Now you force both CBs to mark your CF. This is how it's done. You need 2 CBs to mark a deadly forward. No ifs and buts about it. That's 2 defenders you conditioned.
- Other winger is dropped deeper and slightly centrally. Creates numbers mismatch in the middle. Now both fullbacks are left without clear targets to mark. They have to make decisions that you can exploit. That's 2 more players you've conditioned.
- Drop you midfield deeper and closer to the center circle of the pitch. Force their midfield 4 or 5 to separate from their back 4 or 5. Now you've created space between the defending lines. Players can make runs and position themselves between them to exploit them.
- If the fullbacks react and run forward and centrally to help the midfield, exploit with your own fullbacks.
- Now you've also create lanes for deep passes (aka Messi the playmaker) and now you've also create space for dribbling and quick one-twos (aka Messi the dribbler)

Neymessi

Messi missed both amazing team goals this season. The today one in the 88th or 90th minute between alves iniesta and messi and in the start of the season where there were 2 consecutive backheels by xavi and iniesta and then a pass from neymar to messi and he missed.Both would easily be one of the best team goals ever.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
But how is that different from having bombarding fullbacks in our normal formation? The lack of them having a fullback and the lack of us having a winger cancels each other out, so why is this situation suddenly so much better for us?

Our fullbacks don't bomb. They just join the attack and stay there. They don't wait for the space to be created to exploit it. By attempting to break the bus with numbers they force the opponent into a tighter box and compound the problem.

Why would they be deeper? Like, I'm trying to visualize random moments of the game when we were in the attacking third, and I just don't see why the nine would drag the defenders back that much. Maybe a disorganized defense would mess up to that, but there was a reason Villa was poor in so many games and called the "offside king". Because the defenders just didn't bother to go out of their way to mark him and he often didn't end up hurting anyone.

He drags them because when you have a CF, you must defend him with both CBs. This is how football is played. They dance back and forth between runs by the CF and offside traps by the CBs, but CBs cannot suddenly leave their position to go and man mark a Messi for instance. CF keeps them honest and busy.

Again, for a team with poor organization, perhaps. But a manager will spot these weaknesses and adapt to them and tell the fullback where to go. Maybe you'll get a few minutes where the defense doesn't really know what to do, but that'll happen with any change in formation, not just specifically adding a number nine.

Barcelona's relentless attacking style makes this hard to adapt. It forces players to constantly make decisions, outcomes of which can always be exploited. I'm not saying this is infallible and it'll always work, but this is a strategy to break those deep defensive blocks teams are employing against Barca for what seems every single game.

All of that being said, I feel like this is a bit of a useless discussion. We're just mentioning hypothetical scenarios that have no guarantee of happening and so until a number nine is tried with Messi, we won't know what happens. Maybe they'll experiment with Dongou in a few years, maybe they won't, but I feel like saying "well I think this person will go here" "well I think this person will go here" isn't really accomplishing anything.

Lol it is pointless discussion but what else can we do. We've got no real power, no real shot or voice for decision. This is all we can really do to vent frustration. The life of fans :lol:

F

Flavia

Messi missed both amazing team goals this season. The today one in the 88th or 90th minute between alves iniesta and messi and in the start of the season where there were 2 consecutive backheels by xavi and iniesta and then a pass from neymar to messi and he missed.Both would easily be one of the best team goals ever.

He didn't miss the goal today, the gk saved it.

Semi, he plays with a cf in front of him for Argentina. It makes a difference. To use as an alternative it'd be great. Right now Barça has no alternatives. All the forwards have the same profile. I really think we could use something different.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
- They close the gap between defending lines. The space between the back 4 or 5 and the midfield 4 or 5 is almost nonexistent. There is no space to operate between lines and takes away Barca's biggest strength which is short passing and movement between lines.
- Wingers are useless, take one off for a CF. Now you force both CBs to mark your CF. This is how it's done. You need 2 CBs to mark a deadly forward. No ifs and buts about it. That's 2 defenders you conditioned.

OK, so I completely disagree with the two CBs for one CF thing, first of all (how do you think people mark a 4-4-2? With 4 center backs?). But regardless. I want you to imagine the scenario you presented in the first quote. Imagine the bank of four defenders, imagine the bank of five midfielders, imagine Messi crying in front of them, imagine our two West Ham recruits Pedro and Alexis looking really lonely on the wings. Got it? Now take one of those wingers, and pluck them out of the picture. I plucked out Pedro, but the choice is yours. Now, think of one of those lethal center forwards, one of those that takes three center backs to mark (I picked Dzeko), and just plop them in there, right in that danger area. Maybe I'm visualizing differently from you, but this is what I see. Either Dzeko was the goalkeeper all along and he was just messing with us, or he was sitting there in the six yard box hoping the sideline referee would be too busy staring at him to see Iniesta's terrifying offensive fouls, or he was right in the throng of players fixated by Messi. In which of these scenarios did he get us a lot of space?

Our fullbacks don't bomb. They just join the attack and stay there. They don't wait for the space to be created to exploit it. By attempting to break the bus with numbers they force the opponent into a tighter box and compound the problem.

Well this seems like an entirely different discussion and a different role for our fullbacks as opposed to just sticking a number nine in there.

Barcelona's relentless attacking style makes this hard to adapt. It forces players to constantly make decisions, outcomes of which can always be exploited.

I agree, I do, I just don't understand why it would suddenly become so much harder for teams that seemed to be handling us just fine when a number nine gets thrown into the mix.

Semi, he plays with a cf in front of him for Argentina.

He also plays in a 4-2-3-1 where they have two CDM, Di Maria running around everywhere, and Messi creating everything for Aguero and Higuain. It would be possible for us to do that, but it would require a complete change of our playstyle, just like I said in my first post about this.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
OK, so I completely disagree with the two CBs for one CF thing, first of all (how do you think people mark a 4-4-2? With 4 center backs?). But regardless. I want you to imagine the scenario you presented in the first quote. Imagine the bank of four defenders, imagine the bank of five midfielders, imagine Messi crying in front of them, imagine our two West Ham recruits Pedro and Alexis looking really lonely on the wings. Got it? Now take one of those wingers, and pluck them out of the picture. I plucked out Pedro, but the choice is yours. Now, think of one of those lethal center forwards, one of those that takes three center backs to mark (I picked Dzeko), and just plop them in there, right in that danger area. Maybe I'm visualizing differently from you, but this is what I see. Either Dzeko was the goalkeeper all along and he was just messing with us, or he was sitting there in the six yard box hoping the sideline referee would be too busy staring at him to see Iniesta's terrifying offensive fouls, or he was right in the throng of players fixated by Messi. In which of these scenarios did he get us a lot of space?

In a 4-4-2 formation you don't really have 2 CFs. You have 1 striker and 1 CF. In this case, the 2 CBs cover the striker, CF is deeper to link up. When both push forward, the lack of wingers allows the fullbacks to sandwich the CF or striker between the CBs. Midfield covers midfield.

I don't think you're visualizing it correctly. The CF is not just someone who camps in the box. He moves around, creating runs and bumping from between the CBs. He is a mobile player. There is a mini game between the CF and the CBs, one making runs, the others creating offside traps. You need two CBs because one covers the front to prevent the pass into the CF, the other covers the first CB's back. Without the one CB in the front, the physical CF can body the CB in the back and receive service and turn, and without the CB in the back, the CF can make runs from behind the front CB who isn't necessarily looking at the CF and get into space to receive service.
In any case, the CF keeps the CBs busy, liberating other players from possible marking by the CBs.

Well this seems like an entirely different discussion and a different role for our fullbacks as opposed to just sticking a number nine in there.

The way they play now is a direct result of how the team plays. They need to push forward and stay to help the link up.

I agree, I do, I just don't understand why it would suddenly become so much harder for teams that seemed to be handling us just fine when a number nine gets thrown into the mix.

It throws the dynamic of the block defense out of whack, and more importantly, it gives more freedom to Messi. He no longer has to worry about getting bodied up by two physical CBs.

He also plays in a 4-2-3-1 where they have two CDM, Di Maria running around everywhere, and Messi creating everything for Aguero and Higuain. It would be possible for us to do that, but it would require a complete change of our playstyle, just like I said in my first post about this.

Argentina don't play with two CDMs. They play with Masche and either Banega or Gago, both of whom are not really defensive magicians. It really does not require massive change for us. Messi is already being forced deeper and deeper by aggressive marking, you just need to sacrifice a winger for a CF and all other pieces will fall into place to accommodate. Both Neymar and Messi have the skills to play deeper and link up with a forward. Both do so very well indeed in the national teams, Messi with Higuain, Neymar with Fred.

raskolnikov

So which striker could realistically fit the part that makes everything allright?

I am tired of these type of defending vs Messi:

Messi.jpg

Lets give him more space.

Last edited:

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
So which striker could realistically fit the part that makes everything allright?

I am tired of these type of defending vs Messi:

Messi.jpg

Lets give him more space.

A goal scoring and dangerous CF between Pepe and Varane there would give them both second thoughts about being so keen in stopping Messi. Not to mention he might have dragged them with a move long before the situation in this picture came to pass. Messi vs 3 is much more likely to succeed than Messi vs 5.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
You're a fanboy but you're right. Neymar is the solution to these problems. He is the guy that can dribble from wide areas and create space for Messi. He can ace too obviously. Also he can Always win a Penalty so they need to back off him giving him time.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
It throws the dynamic of the block defense out of whack, and more importantly, it gives more freedom to Messi. He no longer has to worry about getting bodied up by two physical CBs.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree with this point, I just don't see a CF as suddenly destroying defenses that were solid previously, it just isn't something I can imagine. I think experimenting with Dongou once he matures is definitely worth a shot, but I don't think buying a number nine until we are guaranteed it'll work is wise.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree with this point, I just don't see a CF as suddenly destroying defenses that were solid previously, it just isn't something I can imagine. I think experimenting with Dongou once he matures is definitely worth a shot, but I don't think buying a number nine until we are guaranteed it'll work is wise.

It's not destroying them, but changing their dynamic. You still need the players themselves to perform. If the team will continue to play Messi down the middle because that is where he is most effective, then a CF at the very least will take the CBs away from marking him. That by itself is worth it.
Then you add the CF own scoring prowess, which if you get a good player and not a second tier type, will be an upgrade over any of our other forwards. Two good scorers in the box vs just one and two wide wingers, that is how you shake things up.

I like the idea of playing a CF, but there are 2 problems associated with it:
1) It only works if you have a world class CF & that's +60M easy…
2) Messi moved from the right to the center for a reason, & Neymar will eventually make the same transition for the same reasons.

Because of (2) playing a CF is superfluous in most cases because you already have at least 1 player inside the box (Messi/Neymar or both) who can do a better job. Playing with a CF is best as a tactical option – not a default one – when we're behind on the score sheet by playing Messi/Neymar as RWF/LWF and using the CF as an impact sub. Otherwise any benefits you gain from using a CF are outweighed by the limitations you would impose on M/N by positioning them away from the center.

That's why I think a player like Chicharito can be a good investment. He may not be on the same level as say Suarez or Lewa, but when it comes to his finishing & instincts inside the box he's as good as any. That, and the fact that he's a cheap, realistic option – compared to the other players mentioned – who also happens to be a great team player (has a humble personality & worth ethic & won't mind sitting on the bench). So I think it makes both tactical and financial sense to consider him as a potential player for our plan B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans