10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

Certainly not... But I wanted him to show more pride as he is the leader of the team after all...

He's done it in the past, so I was surprised that after the third goal he just accepted defeat like the rest of the team...

I think Pep screaming from the sideline helped a lot with that. Tata being sent off was also a factor. The team was nervous and lost.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Messi delivers if he gets service. First time he got a decent ball in the game, he buried it in the back of the net.

The Barca machine was just totally out of sync today.

sil85

all the players were horrible today, including Messi. its weird because the players didnt seen to know how to play.
Tata helped us loose the game. save the players......why? now we lost la liga

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
I didn't really understand him walking around when we were 3-1 down, whether it was a personal or tactical decision it just didn't make sense to me and I don't see any gain from it. There was plenty of time to come back so it wasn't like the situation was completely hopeless, and it was obviously not the time to rest him so I just don't get it. Definitely not even close to our worst player but I do not understand the lack of effort at all.

F

Flavia

Messi delivers if he gets service. First time he got a decent ball in the game, he buried it in the back of the net.

Yeah. Messi got us all spoiled when he used to win games by himself. But he never did it at anoeta.

JamDav1982

Part of what makes Messi the best player ever is that he doesnt just rely on service he goes out and forces things and makes things happen.

If Messi now relies on service he is not the same player he was.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I think Pep screaming from the sideline helped a lot with that. Tata being sent off was also a factor. The team was nervous and lost.

I do agree to a certain point... I mean, I understand Bartra and Montoya shitting their pants, hell even Song shitting his pants, but players who have won everything and have more experience than the whole squad of Sociedad combined can't perform only when there's a guy screaming from the sideline...

It's in situations like these that they have to show their heart and pick the team up Puyol style... Obviously, this is not only directed towards Messi as there are others who also have the raise their game when needed...

There lies the difference when we lost with Pep in charge, you saw the team giving their best until the final whistle, we never stopped trying and fighting, so the defeat was easier to swallow, but when you see our guys clueless and just give up, then that's a whole different story...

serghei

Part of what makes Messi the best player ever is that he doesnt just rely on service he goes out and forces things and makes things happen.

Man this is paranormal. Wanted to say the exact same thing, but you beat me to it.

The bolded part is where the ambition to win comes in play. That's missing in him at Barca. He may have it for Argentina.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

I do agree to a certain point... I mean, I understand Bartra and Montoya shitting their pants, hell even Song shitting his pants, but players who have won everything and have more experience than the whole squad of Sociedad combined can't perform only when there's a guy screaming from the sideline...

It's in situations like these that they have to show their heart and pick the team up Puyol style... Obviously, this is not only directed towards Messi as there are others who also have the raise their game when needed...

There lies the difference when we lost with Pep in charge, you saw the team giving their best until the final whistle, we never stopped trying and fighting, so the defeat was easier to swallow, but when you see our guys clueless and just give up, then that's a whole different story...

I think they got used to having someone like Pep firing them up. The difference was obvious since last season. No Puyol there anymore as well. Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Pique or Valdes don't have that kind of leadership.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo

Sorry, but this is a hot load of crap. Do you mean to say Messi need to grab the ball and dribble the entire Sociedad defense and rescue his team? Is this what Barcelona has devolved into when adversity strikes? Is Messi playing alone out there? Does he have to do everything because the rest of his team cannot?

Messi is there to score, that is his primary duty. If the rest of the players cannot even perform their primary duties, why do you feel the need to demand that Messi also do the duties of others?

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
He was poor, just walked around and didn't even try. Fair enough, he got 1 clear chance and scored - but other than that he was disappointing :(

JamDav1982

Sorry, but this is a hot load of crap. Do you mean to say Messi need to grab the ball and dribble the entire Sociedad defense and rescue his team? Is this what Barcelona has devolved into when adversity strikes? Is Messi playing alone out there? Does he have to do everything because the rest of his team cannot?

Messi is there to score, that is his primary duty. If the rest of the players cannot even perform their primary duties, why do you feel the need to demand that Messi also do the duties of others?

Nope - what I am saying is to suggest that Messi needs players to get the ball to him in goal scoring positions to be effective means he is not the player he was.

That is clear as day and what makes Messi different is that he does not rely on other players to be able to make a difference or influence the game like you suggest.

You are the one speaking crap and making excuses for him being poor and not trying.

F

Flavia

I agree. The best we've seen from Messi was when Villa and Pedro were very good by his side, and there was space. Or when Iniesta had his best season(12-13), assisting left and right.
The way things are now, I don't think the false 9 works anymore. Teams found a way to nulifiy it. Messi needs a 9 in front of him. He won't get space everytime.

serghei

I agree. The best we've seen from Messi was when Villa and Pedro were very good by his side, and there was space. Or when Iniesta had his best season(12-13), assisting left and right.
The way things are now, I don't think the false 9 works anymore. Teams found a way to nulifiy it. Messi needs a 9 in front of him. He won't get space everytime.

You're wrong, Flavia. A false 9 is a mobile position and Messi's being static for most of the time. They're not compatible anymore because Messi isn't as willing to make it work in the effort department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans