10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepe Silvia

I'll take a few minutes to read the last few pages later tonight but I think Messi was much better today. He ran with purpose and had some great passes, looked to make the difference on a lot of occasions. He was good. The team on the other hand, were shit.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Anyway, that yellow card he took showed me he cared. Caring is good.

The season is over, I hope 2014 is the next 2008. If not, there are some dark clouds ahead of us.

Actually that yellow card showed that even him was nervous. There was no need for that much nagging to the ref about such a simple foul.

raskolnikov

Actually that yellow card showed that even him was nervous. There was no need for that much nagging to the ref about such a simple foul.

That ref was an idiot though, he did nothing wrong and he just gave him a yellow to shut him up, ridiculous.

Stric

He even lifted his hands a few moments earlier, knowing what was gonna happen. He was 100% right to argue with the ref. Although, nothing can be done once the foul is given...

V

voodoomaster

He ran more today. Didnt play well though. A 2012 messi would have finished them of in 30 min. Dont know whats wrong, I still thinks he got it. Maybe he dont care that much anymore. He has given me the the greatest moments, so I shouldnt complain too much though. Hope to see the old hungry messi once more!

Galning

Please Messi bail us out the entire time like you did last year. Guess what, even Messi can't win us the league two seasons in a row.

Messi_Goal

Its obvious his mind is on the world cup but can you blame him with the recent injury's and knowing this will be is last world cup at the age were he should be at his peak were he can make the difference,Its the one major trophy he has not won.While it is disappointing as a FC Barcelona fan just think what would you do?I think I would take it easy.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Its obvious his mind is on the world cup but can you blame him with the recent injury's and knowing this will be is last world cup at the age were he should be at his peak were he can make the difference,Its the one major trophy he has not won.While it is disappointing as a FC Barcelona fan just think what would you do?I think I would take it easy.

I still don't buy this WC theory. Messi has been running less and walking a lot for a couple of years, is he going to turn on his pre-2012 mode when he plays for the La Albiceleste all of sudden? What if Messi runs 7k each game at the WC with Argentina? His rather rusty finishing and ball-handling this season will not magically go away when he puts on the Argentina jersey. I think he might be cautious to avoid injury before the WC, other than that he is not reserving much for us. Peaked or not, injury-impaired or not, this is simply how he plays in 2014.

Andrew M

He may be highly motivated at the WC and harry defenders.

He just stands around waiting for the ball at the moment; a shame.

sickstar

My take about average level of age, if this is the main team (without counting goalkeeper):
Alba, Masch, Pique, Alves, Iniesta, Busi, Xavi, Messi, Neymar & Alexis (4-3-1-2 anyone?)

The average would be 27.2 yrs, with neymar being the youngest (22), followed by busi (25). the oldest of course xavi (34) followed by alves (30).
This composition might not be the youngest, but it's not that old also. Does xavi needs replacement? in the future yes of course, because he's already 34. But at now, he is still our conductor, no one really ready to replace his position. Cesc? I know he has great vision and great pass, but to see the team as a whole, to know when to shut it down or to get patient, awareness of teammates condition during the play, i still think Xavi does it better. He's like the coach's eyes on the field.

But in the end, you can't fight with age. I think he's still capable for around 2-3 more years. Until then barca has to prepare the appropriate replacement.

Player like Neymar, Alba, Busi, Pique and of course Messi, still has many years to play. They're still our future for at least the next 3-4 years. Fabregas and Alexis are also strong players, if you could use them to their full potential. Fab has the potential to be the next Xavi, i think, other than making Thiago return, of course.

Also, Masch need to be place at his original position, as a quality replacement for Busi. The central defender is for someone bigger, taller and at least as quick as Pique. Experienced defender is a nice option. Nothing wrong with defender around early 30, as long as he is capable and has good experience facing variety of attacking players. We still need Alves since he still got the speed and cross accuracy. Bringing in a replacement should work, only if the guy is proved to be better than Alves, and not only younger, and has a better sense and discipline in defending.

---

ps: I know this is Messi's thread. Just to make people realize that the fault is entire team, including coach. Not only Messi. He may have bigger chunk due to the camera focus during his pedestrian minutes, but we know he was already like that from at least 2 years ago, and look how 2011-2012 & 2012-2013 went. Even this season, except some games surrounding his injuries and several matches, which some of them turned out be critical matches, like the one against atleti.

Last edited:

MagicianMessi

My take about average level of age, if this is the main team (without counting goalkeeper):
Alba, Masch, Pique, Alves, Iniesta, Busi, Xavi, Messi, Neymar & Alexis (4-3-1-2 anyone?)

The average would be 27.2 yrs, with neymar being the youngest (22), followed by busi (25). the oldest of course xavi (34) followed by alves (30).
This composition might not be the youngest, but it's not that old also. Does xavi needs replacement? in the future yes of course, because he's already 34. But at now, he is still our conductor, no one really ready to replace his position. Cesc? I know he has great vision and great pass, but to see the team as a whole, to know when to shut it down or to get patient, awareness of teammates condition during the play, i still think Xavi does it better. He's like the coach's eyes on the field.

But in the end, you can't fight with age. I think he's still capable for around 2-3 more years. Until then barca has to prepare the appropriate replacement.

Player like Neymar, Alba, Busi, Pique and of course Messi, still has many years to play. They're still our future for at least the next 3-4 years. Fabregas and Alexis are also strong players, if you could use them to their full potential. Fab has the potential to be the next Xavi, i think, other than making Thiago return, of course.

Also, Masch need to be place at his original position, as a quality replacement for Busi. The central defender is for someone bigger, taller and at least as quick as Pique. Experienced defender is a nice option. Nothing wrong with defender around early 30, as long as he is capable and has good experience facing variety of attacking players. We still need Alves since he still got the speed and cross accuracy. Bringing in a replacement should work, only if the guy is proved to be better than Alves, and not only younger, and has a better sense and discipline in defending.

---

ps: I know this is Messi's thread. Just to make people realize that the fault is entire team, including coach. Not only Messi. He may have bigger chunk due to the camera focus during his pedestrian minutes, but we know he was already like that from at least 2 years ago, and look how 2011-2012 & 2012-2013 went. Even this season, except some games surrounding his injuries and several matches, which some of them turned out be critical matches, like the one against atleti.

What you r saying is right but remember this we are hit with a transfer ban by FIFA. If FIFA don't remove the ban we cannot do anything and have to stick with the current players. If then Messi has to step up if we want to win something next season.

F**k Zubi and the whole management. I want them out asap. They couldn't figure out who we need and don't need in the squad first place.

karthik

I think he did well in the first half,dribbling past players. But in the second half, there was no pressure, or creative efforts from him.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I think he did well in the first half,dribbling past players. But in the second half, there was no pressure, or creative efforts from him.

What I can't understand is that when Messi is one the pitch at least 2 or 3 players are covering him the space left should be utilized by our wingers but they can't get past one marker while expecting Messi to dance past the whole team

raedkuwait

I totally 100% agree with u, think about it, for the past 4 years or so, every one is saying he is still not the greatest player until he wins a WC trophy
he won every thing to b won at a club level, and has proved everything at a club level, and his injuries are in his mind, i am sure he has a tape in his
head where he think he might get injured and miss the WC , imagine how devastating that would b to him, an injury like valdes got or any injury where
he will miss the WC i really believe he will b a different player at WC and a different player for barca after the WC is over. Heck i am also welling to bet
that the Argentinean Football federation told him to take it easy at club level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans